Author Topic: New iMac (urgent)  (Read 8911 times)

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
New iMac (urgent)
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
Hello everybody (was time to be here again!)!!!!

I need your help because I have to buy a new iMac in the next 2 few days.

I can't decide between Apple configurations.

- 21.5" it's enough form my needs and not ever bigger is better. I've used a "BigMac" 27" at AppleStore and I don't like it for text processing or data sheet.

- But Apple decided that if you buy a 21.5" you must know if you need 8 or 16GB RAM because it's soldered for ever and ever to your computer and upgrades are forbidden.

My questions:

21.5" or 27"? (but maybe I'm the only one that don't likes a big screen)
2.7GHz or 2.9GHz?
8GB are enough for my daily needs or better 16GB Apple very expansive RAM?

What about 21.5", i5 quadcore 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM but with Fusion Drive option? It seems that hybrid HDD/SDD drive could increase concretely Mac performances maybe more than a little bit faster processor.

My needs are for normal daily computer use (mail, web, text....), photography (Photoshop) and overall........WheaterCat+Evocam! :)

There is an offer ending in next few days so give me an help today to make right decision and to save some money that in that crisis times never hurts.....  [lol2]

Thanks everybody in advance and best wishes for new 2013!

Federico 
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: New iMac (urgent)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »
Hi Federico!

When my 24" iMac croaked, I went with the 27" because I couldn't imagine going smaller. I like it for all the windows I can have open. Mine is from early 2012, so It came with 4 GB, and I updated it to 16 GB. I wondered whether the new style was user upgradable for RAM. Apparently not. Too bad, as my bump from 8 GB to 16 GB was about $100 USD.

I don't use any CPU intensive applications, but I do have a lot of applications open and running most of the time. Mail, Safari, iTunes, WeatherCat, Tweetbot, EvoCam, Growl, Dropbox, Meteorologist, and more background stuff are running all the time. With all of that, I seem to have 8-10 GB of RAM free most of the time. In my case, having 16 GB keeps me from having to open/close apps.

We just upgraded my wife's 2009 17" MacBook Pro from 4 GB to 8 GB, and it seems like a whole new machine. All she uses is Mail, Firefox, and Tweetbot, and occasionally Word and it was so sluggish you could barely change between apps. Firefox is a bigger RAM hog that Safari. No problems after the upgrade.

So I'm of the opinion that over the life of a machine, you're probably going to need more RAM than anything else. You can always get more disk space with an external, but if the RAM is not upgradable, get what you think you'll need 3-5 years from now.

I hope that helps,
Steve

Activity Monitor
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks Steve for your contribution.

I've seen that there is a way for upgrade RAM on a 21.5" too but it hurts to me just thinking about it.....
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Upgrading+iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+RAM+Memory/12218/1

My actual configuration (20" late 2006 with 3GB max RAM) with different application running at same time as Safari (it's a memory eater too!!!), Thunderbird, WeatherCat, EvoCam, Teamviewer, iTunes and other system app is every time at limit and multicolor symbol is spinning round all the time wasting my time and my nervous system.
I think that with 8GB I should be in good conditions for years....until Apple produce a new OS with all applications that requires a lot of memory to run with 3D effects @128bit....and than I'll be forced to open the glass screen to upgrade RAM or replace the whole computer again.

OK, may be is better go for the (a bit) slower processor and smaller display but with as RAM as is possible.......even Fusion Drive is an hard tentation because I think it can increase speed and reduce working times.......nobody use yet a fusion drive here?
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
Yikes! that looks scary!

I've seen that there is a way for upgrade RAM on a 21.5" too but it hurts to me just thinking about it.....
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Upgrading+iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+RAM+Memory/12218/1
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »
Hi Federico!

If it would be my decision, I would go for an 21,5'' with fusion drive. If you do not use RAM-hungry apps, the fusion drive will make a greater speed bump than if you invest the money in more RAM. On the other side: The more RAM you have the better runs Photoshop...

My 2 cents.
Cheers, Reinhard
Reinhard

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
Hi Reinhard! Nice to meet you again ;)

Yes, better more RAM for Photoshop but now is running with 3GB together with Weathercat and all the rest and at last I can edit my pictures in one way or another.......with 8GB can be run better!!! :)))

OK for 21.5" + i5 2.7GHz + 8GB RAM + 1TB Fusion Drive + AppleCare

[cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
OK for 21.5" + i5 2.7GHz + 8GB RAM + 1TB Fusion Drive + AppleCare
Hi again,
let us know how you go with the 21,5'' iMac - I think it's a good decision!
Cheers, Reinhard
Reinhard

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:55 PM »
We have both a 21.5 and a 27 in our house. I use the 27 and I love it. Also, the 27 IS upgradable by the user as far as RAM and HD's.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
If your budget allows for it and tyou are a photographer, I would definitely go for the 27-inch with the Fusion drive.

I doubt you would notice a difference going for the faster processor; it's the Fusion Drive that counts. Should you need more RAM at a later stage, it can be easily upgraded at a later stage (cheap and simple on the 27-inch iMac).

Good luck with the purchase. I'm tempted to do the same but my early 2008 24-inch iMac is still going strong and won't give up!  ;)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
Should you need more RAM at a later stage, it can be easily upgraded at a later stage (cheap and simple on the 27-inch iMac).

And
Also, the 27 IS upgradable by the user as far as RAM and HD's.

Is the RAM easier to upgrade on the new iMac??  From what I've read, it requires removing the screen like on the new 21.5". The 27" prior to the new model relased in November 2012 or so was dead easy to upgrade.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Mac OS Monterey
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:36 AM »
I have a new 27" with the fusion drive and it's FAST.  It boots in < 15 seconds and programs open as fast as you click the icon.  The RAM is very easy to install.

I would vote to go with the 27", spring for the fusion drive and the base RAM ...  it's easy to find good less expensive RAM when you need it.  I doubt a faster processor would make much of a difference.  The fusion drive WILL make a difference.
WU:  KAZPHOEN133

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »
Is the RAM easier to upgrade on the new iMac??  From what I've read, it requires removing the screen like on the new 21.5". The 27" prior to the new model relased in November 2012 or so was dead easy to upgrade.
Steve

The new 27" iMac still has 4 external RAM slots at the bast of the screen so the memory can be upgraded, it's only the 21.5" that has the RAM hidden under the logic board. Looks like Apple are continuing a policy of making their hardware almost impossible to cheaply repair, started with the MacBook Air, then the two versions of the new Retina MacBook Pro, even the Mac mini HD is not easily changed.

JC

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
DONE!  [computer]

iMac 21.5", i5 quadcore 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion Drive, Applecare  [tup]

Thanks for support!!!  [cheer] [cheer] [cheer]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
The new 27" iMac still has 4 external RAM slots at the bast of the screen so the memory can be upgraded, it's only the 21.5" that has the RAM hidden under the logic board.

Good to know. Thanks!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 06:17:24 PM »
DONE!  [computer]

iMac 21.5", i5 quadcore 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion Drive, Applecare  [tup]

Thanks for support!!!  [cheer] [cheer] [cheer]

Congratulations!  [cheers1]
Reinhard
Reinhard