Author Topic: Davis VantageVue storage  (Read 7462 times)

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Davis VantageVue storage
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
Left Friday for a two week trip and just 2 hours out there was a violent storm at home. We lost power for almost an hour so therefore lost Internet as well. My ups probably kept the computer going for awhilen. Anyway, I've bee offline since and won't be home until June 8th. So I'm wondering how much data my station will store?  And I hope Wunderground and CWOP will ever forgive me? 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Depends on your sampling interval. (Re: Davis VantageVue storage)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
Dear Mtn.Marty and WeatherCat Davis owners,

Left Friday for a two week trip and just 2 hours out there was a violent storm at home. We lost power for almost an hour so therefore lost Internet as well. My ups probably kept the computer going for awhilen. Anyway, I've bee offline since and won't be home until June 8th. So I'm wondering how much data my station will store? 

*Heavy sigh*, I swear this question has been answered exactly somewhere, but I don't remember where and Google is no help. 

However, Davis claims you can store up to 6 months of data depending on your sampling interval.  Since the coarsest sampling interval is every 2 hours and according to Google there are 4382.91 hours in 6 months (how precise can ya' get!! )   That works out to about 2200 records.  My station is set to sample every 5 minutes, so in that case the logger should hold around 7-1/2 days of data.  To find out how how time your station can hold just multiply the sample rate by 2200.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.

And I hope Wunderground and CWOP will ever forgive me?

;) . . . . . .  I'm afraid that's a much harder question . . . . after all, you didn't invite them to come along on your vacation!!  . . . [lol2]

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
Re: Davis VantageVue storage
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
Thanks Eduard. So that probably means I'll loose around a week of data. Oh well.  [sweat2]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
I can't find where Davis says how much memory is in the console. They just say that a one-minute data interval requires 1 MB of memory per month and a 30-second internal requires 36 K per month. My advice is to enjoy your holiday and reboot upon return.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
That number is out there somewhere. (Re: Davis VantageVue storage)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »
Dear Mtn.Marty, Blick and WeatherCat Davis owners,

The exactly storage capacity of the Davis data logger is known, I've seen postings about it before.  I just can't remember when.  Hopefully somebody will read this thread and give is a pointer to the exact value.  It would be useful thing to park on the WeatherCat Wiki.

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
I can't find where Davis says how much memory is in the console. They just say that a one-minute data interval requires 1 MB of memory per month and a 30-second internal requires 36 K per month. My advice is to enjoy your holiday and reboot upon return.

This is the best advice so far and I intend to follow it to a "T". Will report back when I'm back at the homestead.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: That number is out there somewhere. (Re: Davis VantageVue storage)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
Dear Mtn.Marty, Blick and WeatherCat Davis owners,

The exactly storage capacity of the Davis data logger is known, I've seen postings about it before.  I just can't remember when.  Hopefully somebody will read this thread and give is a pointer to the exact value.  It would be useful thing to park on the WeatherCat Wiki.

2560 records, presented as 512 blocks of 5 records each  [tup]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: That number is out there somewhere. (Re: Davis VantageVue storage)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »

Well done mate! Amazing what is rattling around in that WeatherCat head of yours.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hurray! Now on Wiki! (Re: Davis VantageVue storage)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat Davis fans,

Thanks Stu!

I almost sent you an email asking but I figured you were a bit busy!

Okay,  I said this would be useful thing to have on the wiki so I did my part.  I also created a table of the time you can leave your Davis station unattended.  The package is here:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Capacity_of_the_Davis_data-logger_to_store_weather_data_depending_on_the_chosen_sampling_interval

Hope you'all find this useful!

P.S. I'll just created a new sticky read-only thread so people can easily find this info.
P.P.S. I've never made a table in a wiki before - kinda cool!  8)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
 [rockon]

One might also take note that in Mac OS X under System Preferences, Energy Saver, you can check a box to "Startup automatically after a power failure."

However, one's UPS must also do the same in order for it to work every time.

Edouard, in the table why is the first one not 2 days and 18 hours?

Herb
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Good idea for vacations and OOPS! (Re: Davis VantageVue storage)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
Hi Herb and WeatherCat voyagers,

One might also take note that in Mac OS X under System Preferences, Energy Saver, you can check a box to "Startup automatically after a power failure."

However, one's UPS must also do the same in order for it to work every time.

Good idea!

You would need to have WeatherCat launched automatically as well obviously.  I don't to this because my machine is heavily overloaded with auto startup goodies, but you could add WeatherCat before heading off on a vacation.

Edouard, in the table why is the first one not 2 days and 18 hours?

;) . . . . . . Gasp!  You mean you don't trust my Excel spreadsheet!! . . . . . . .

Now that you mention it - better double-check! . . . . . .
  [biggrin]

Well, I still get the same answer with Apple's calculator.  At one minute that means 2560 minutes of capacity.  2650/60 = 44.16 hours.  1 day and . . . . 20 hours  . OOPS!!  :-[

Sorry, I'll bet that I didn't cut and paste the first formula correctly.  I just corrected the table and I doubled-checked the rest and they are okay.

Thank Herb for keeping me honest!!  [tup]

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
UPDATE
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »
Hi All,

Got back last night after 2 + weeks of being away and found that my computer was up and running (thanks ups) and all the weather data had been downloaded. My internet connection required a reboot of the modem and router and then all the data finally uploaded to Wunderground. I'm now back online as before.

Glad I started an interesting discussion. Now if only there were a way to remotely restart the modem, etc.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »
Pretty good ending to the story.

Now if only there were a way to remotely restart the modem, etc.

Some modems and routers can be accessed via browser and the IP address. These can generally be restarted from any browser.
Blick

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
Re: UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
Pretty good ending to the story.

Now if only there were a way to remotely restart the modem, etc.

Some modems and routers can be accessed via browser and the IP address. These can generally be restarted from any browser.

I will surly look into that. Of course, I probably should have called Charter (my isp) and had them restart things.