Author Topic: Pew Research Center science quiz.  (Read 10003 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Pew Research Center science quiz.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
Edouard and Herb:

Thanks for taking the time to think this stuff through and share your conclusions. I am enjoying the opportunities you are providing for the rest of us to think.

Your exchange reminded me of something I recently read from some remarks given at a gathering of lawyers in Washington, DC last year:

Does religious freedom and its open expression matter beyond one?s individual faith or particular religious persuasion?... I learned the importance of this question in a conversation 12 years ago with a Marxist economist from China who was nearing the end of a fellowship in Boston, where he had come to study two topics that were foreign to him: democracy and capitalism. I asked my friend if he had learned here anything on these topics that was surprising or unexpected. His response was immediate . . . : ?I had no idea how critical religion is to the functioning of democracy and capitalism.? . . . He continued,

?In your past, most Americans attended a church or synagogue every week. These are institutions that people respected. When you were there, from your youngest years, you were taught that you should voluntarily obey the law; that you should respect other people?s property, and not steal it. You were taught never to lie. Americans followed these rules because they had come to believe that even if the police didn?t catch them when they broke a law, God would catch them. Democracy works because most people most of the time voluntarily obey your laws.

?You can say the same for capitalism,? my friend continued. ?It works because Americans have been taught in their churches that they should keep their promises and not tell lies. An advanced economy cannot function if people cannot expect that when they sign contracts, the other people will voluntarily uphold their obligations. Capitalism works because most people voluntarily keep their promises.? . . .

[Such expressions mirror those of ] Lord John Fletcher Moulton, the great English jurist, who wrote that the probability that democracy and free markets will flourish in a nation is proportional to ?the extent of obedience to the unenforceable.?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
The need for objective spirituality (Re: Center science quiz.)
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat world observers,

It's an interesting thought you bring up but it is missing one critical ingredient that I fear will undue us if not somehow dealt with.

Does religious freedom and its open expression matter beyond one?s individual faith or particular religious persuasion?... I learned the importance of this question in a conversation 12 years ago with a Marxist economist from China who was nearing the end of a fellowship in Boston, where he had come to study two topics that were foreign to him: democracy and capitalism. I asked my friend if he had learned here anything on these topics that was surprising or unexpected. His response was immediate . . . : ?I had no idea how critical religion is to the functioning of democracy and capitalism.? . . .

Alas, I fear that what is required is something much stronger that simply some kind of faith and it is something very orthogonal to how the United States has thus far unfolded.

The freedom to practice religion in whatever way we choose is a hallmark of the United States.  Yet it doesn't take much consideration to realize that is really is a disaster for the very religion that the founding fathers all insisted was the only truth: monotheism.  If there is one God, why on earth do you need thousands of different ways to worship a singular object?

I've come to realize that the founding fathers didn't mean religious freedom as we imagine it.  Think of their world in 1776.  They knew about all the Protestant faiths, they knew about Catholicism although perhaps with some distain.  Their attitude on Jews is more uncertain.  Where I think they would really start becoming troubled is when faiths like Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism are tossed into the mix.  Islam insists that man can marry 4 woman.  It is still illegal to do this in the United States, are Muslims truly free to practice their religion?  Buddhism has a fundamentally different set of cosmological assumptions and as a result a completely different set of objectives.  Hinduism is strongly polytheistic.

Whether the founding fathers realized it or not, all they really were granting was freedom to worship God in any particular tradition, and if pressed they were open in insisting that was the God in the name of Jesus Christ.  At the time, the differences between Protestant denominations and even Catholicism were small enough that there was a core of collective faith that provided the foundations for our moral conduct and political behavior.

Fast forward 200+ years and being religious . . . . has very little in common indeed.   The religions of the world clearly have stirred the pot.  However, the most damage has been in the continued disintegration of Christian traditions.  The melting pot of ideas has permitted people to reinterpret what it means to be a follower of Christ to the point that it is extremely difficult to be sure what that phrase actually means in any universal way.  Does it mean that you will faithful to your spouse until the end?  Does it means that Jesus actually will judge your conduct on "the final day?"  Does it even mean that Jesus truly is anything more than a prophet?  Certainly it has meant that you do illegal things like smoke marijuana.  It also appear to mean that well established churches can second-guess the gospels, even if those texts are undeniably clear.  Even if people turn to religion for meaning in their lives - what will they find and will this help the human race get along?  The events of 9/11/2001 don't offer any reassurance.

Having been raised Catholic and finally returning to my faith in the 1990s, I ultimately couldn't cope with the many contradictions I was uncovering, particularly in the underlying metaphysics that unpins all of Christianity.  Starting around 2000, I began a search for a unified view of existence that would explain our scientific understanding and would provide some sort of unified notion of spirituality.  I feel I've made remarkable progress based on a few key assumptions:

• Scientific descriptions of the world must taken as accurate at least to the point of the limitations of the scientific methodology.
  • Science provides only a very limited view of reality.  In particular, the limitations of instrumentation leaves open the possibility for forces that operate very slowly over extremely long periods of time.
  • Spirituality is a physical phenomena, not some sort of psychological delusion.  I feel a key insight is to recognize that the only known detector of this sort of phenomena is: human beings.  Phenomena will be experienced differently depending on the circumstances of the detector.  Thus religious traditions should not be taken literal communications, but rather as moment of spiritual phenomena.  So for example, the emergence of Buddhist and Christianity at about the same time is suggestive of a singular underlying spiritual phenomena that produced different effects on different "detectors."
  • The most important break with normal thinking about religion is that spirituality is emergent.  I see the evolution/creationism divide as a false dichotomy.  Philosophers have grappled with the question of how God created itself.  In the end, all that could hypothesized is a kind of bootstrapping procedure.  If God could bootstrap itself, why could human spirituality have literally coming to be in the same process that lead to us?  If spirituality is real phenomenon in the world, and yet, is a product that emerged over time, the evolutionary objection is nullified.  Moreover, the essential problem of evolution - too many lucky rolls of the dice - need no longer be purely a matter of random chance.  It becomes possible to once more view human beings as created in a form of divine purpose.  The unexpected result is that divinity was itself refining itself over geological time and is very much some sort of a reflection of our own being.

I truly believe there has to be an objective basis to spirituality.  If there isn't, it is worse that useless, it is justification for any sort of behavior you can decide to favor.  It is extremely unfortunate that our world has decided to relegate religion to little more than a cultural practice that people use to feel better.  Not only will such a point of view destroy the moral foundations of Western culture, ultimately it causes people to lose the very comfort that faith has provided in the past.  If we cannot find an objective basis for humans as transcending the animal world, then we are nothing more than hairless apes.  Looking out upon the world - it is looking more and more like that each day.

Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
Hello there Blick and Edouard!

I think we may have strayed from the original subject a bit. Wasn't this about the 13 question test? And then there was some concern that everyone should have gotten all or almost all the questions correct, because they were so easy. But they didn't.

And now, like a snowball rolling down Capital Hill, we're discussing the decline of humanity due to modern liberal influences of religious freedom and the carnage of spirituality in being forced to adapt to a homogenous society where monotheism, and polytheism exist side by side.

Edouard, you're the OP. If this is where you want to go, then so be it.

? ?You can say the same for capitalism,? my friend continued. ?It works because Americans have been taught in their churches that they should keep their promises and not tell lies. An advanced economy cannot function if people cannot expect that when they sign contracts, the other people will voluntarily uphold their obligations. Capitalism works because most people voluntarily keep their promises.? . . . ?

I've heard this same sentiment uttered many times. The premise is that religion is the source of morality, while the state of man in the natural order, without religion, is ignorance of morality, opportunism and survival of the fittest at the expense of the weakest. I disagree with this basic polarization. In my most humble opinion morality arises from empathy which arises from family structure, social structure and human interaction at its most fundamental level for all ages of men and women. There are those who lack empathy through mental defect, and there are those who are empathetic toward people they know, but not others. Then there are the ones we might refer to as bleeding hearts who empathize with every living thing, including animals and even insects. This is an attribute of man that is wholly independent of religion. Then there is the socialization of children within the family unit, where a moral code of behavior is enforced from parental authority to progeny for the purpose of order and survival. This also is totally independent of religion.

The other side of that issue is the amoral propensity for religious zealotry through attacks on people of opposing faiths and metering out severe punishments for failure to conform to strongly held ideologies.

The monotheistic Protestant and Catholic religions eschew amoral behaviors and provide many social constructs that benefit the moralization of communities, but they are not wholly responsible for moral teaching. They merely capitalize on man's affinity for moral behavior for the benefit of evangelizing. This has benefits for both the church and the community, but even so, people still do bad things.

? If we cannot find an objective basis for humans as transcending the animal world, then we are nothing more than hairless apes.  Looking out upon the world - it is looking more and more like that each day. ?

Measure for measure, scientific principals define the physical world for our collective understanding by transcribing the analog world into digital approximations of real observations. It is a beautiful way of learning. Simply put, the two simplest integers, a one and a zero, can be used to communicate anything, no matter how complex, and with enough decimal places any error can be pushed into obscurity, but never eliminated entirely.

In my own very humble opinion, in light of our acquired knowledge of the vast and awe inspiring Universe and the numbers necessary to communicate our observations concerning it, and in light of the numbers employed to define our knowledge of man, both in current population statistics and historical population dynamics, it would be arrogant of man to believe in a spiritual after life. The ultimate realization and the only realization that conforms to observation is one which includes personal nonexistence. I didn't exist before. Now I exist. I will not exist again. I am a temporary vessel of life and knowledge, and a complex but insignificant nudge to a fraction of what matters. And, I'm OK with that.
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Hi WeatherCat family

The only thing I'm going to say it is under general discussion

Now for the weather [biggrin]

[cheers1]