Author Topic: If possible always try to get info beyond the forecast.  (Read 1461 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
If possible always try to get info beyond the forecast.
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

Being in the United States, I've gotten used to using the information available on at least most local National Weather Service branch websites.  Every morning and afternoon, I first read the forecast discussion and then look at the resulting forecast.  This morning's information was very interesting indeed.  Here is the forecast discussion saved as a screenshot - the important text is highlighted:

That discussion leaves no doubt, Northern California is in for a major change in the weather pattern.  Confidence in this change is further bolstered by the fact this strong front had been mentioned in previous forecast discussions.  Yet, as the discussion indicates, no changes were made to the forecast grid:

This isn't the first time I've seen data from the forecast models being ignored by the forecasters for whatever reasons of their own choosing.  If you are very concerned about the weather, it is definitely in your best interest to try find information that is analogous to the National Weather Service forecast discussion.  It will give you some very important insights into how weather forecasting actually operates and perhaps give you a heads up on weather that isn't "convenient" to discuss openly at that moment.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]