General Category > General Computing/Macintosh

Longest computer up time?

<< < (2/12) > >>

xairbusdriver:
Ironically, a new release version of WC is announced today. Fortunately, we don't have to re-boot the hardware...  [tup]

You need to stop reading those "Complaints" sites! You know they never have anything good to say, no matter the subject!

Now, go visit the nearest Apple Store (or two), they're offering free Kool-Aid today.

Blicj11:
Interesting question; thanks for asking. I used to run several months at a time. But these days, I reboot OS X at least monthly, sometimes more frequently, as that seems to eliminate unexpected crashes of one or another application. I always reboot the machine when I download a new version of WeatherCat.

Bull Winkus:

--- Quote ---I always reboot the machine when I download a new version of WeatherCat.
--- End quote ---

Me too, Blick. It's like when you move a piece of furniture, you end up sweeping and vacuuming everywhere. Or, if you're already outside and sweaty, and you see a few things you've been putting off, it's time to get after it. Heck, if you're going to have to restart WC, then give it a fresh foundation to work from.

To answer the OP's question, I don't really think about it, but sans power disruption, WC upgrade, and OS X upgrade, it can go months. That rarely happens however, due to the frequency of power disruptions, WC upgrades, and OS X upgrades (but mostly power disruptions). One time, after a prolonged power outage, I was so glad to get power back, after resetting clocks and restarting my 4 UPS's, I forgot to turn on the WC computer before going back to work/play on the main iMac. It was 2 days later before I noticed. I really should let it run a screen saver. Now, it just goes dark.

[cheers1]

I used to be a simple man living a simple life enjoying simple things. That was before I got my first computer, though.

elagache:
Dear Herb and WeatherCat disciples of . . . . . Murphy's law!

--- Quote from: Bull Winkus on May 31, 2016, 04:27:59 AM ---I used to be a simple man living a simple life enjoying simple things. That was before I got my first computer, though.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps you will be moved by this quote that can perhaps be attributed to Paul R. Ehrlich:

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."  [lol2]

Why am I getting a sinking feeling about now tuning my car with a computer? . . . . .  :o

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus:

--- Quote ---Why am I getting a sinking feeling about now tuning my car with a computer? . . . . .  :o
--- End quote ---

[lol2]

I think you'll be alright, as long as you don't leave the computer in charge while driving. Aaaa? I can see it now?

[smoky effect to start dream sequence]

[Open to Edouard in backseat of classic station wagon]

"Siri! How many time do I have to tell you to not throttle down so hard? You're going to blow the transmission!"

"I'm sorry, Edouard. But I'm trying to retune the engine. I am detecting a slight ping which may be indicating preignition."

"That's not a ping, you idiot! That was the alert sound for that text message I just got!"

"I'm sorry Edouard. Your assumption is invalid. My sensors indicated a distinct ping."

"Yes! Ping is the alert tone!"

[Long pause]

"Would you like me to change the alert tone to Sosumi?"

"Sigh, ? no. Are we there yet?"

[cheers1]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version