Author Topic: No longer a Fix for Silicon Labs + WC and El Capitan 10.11.4 that works for me  (Read 8134 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
No company avoids stating that they support the latest version of an operating system
Perhaps they are "avoiding" making that statement because this version is not compatible? Not sure they are even concerned about "sales" to Mac users, anyway. I don't know of any of their products I've paid for.

Is there a thread listing those having problems?

Did those reporting problems install the new version(s) due to advice from SiLab? I've found at least one post that claims to be successfully running a version even older than mine. Jist sayin'...

As I've said before, just because a new version (of anything!) is available, no one should feel forced to install it unless it claims to fix a known problem for that specific user. [banghead] I have canceled (as well as it is possible, now) the notification to install the 10.11.5 update at least three times. What's the rush? None of the "fixes" marginally described at the <Apple Support page> seem to be affecting me. Being that distrustful of Apple also applies tenfold to most other third-party developers (present company definitely excluded!).
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
OK so I have been using the SiLabs driver from June 24, 2015 in conjunction with 10.11.2 when this problem refused to acknowledge the previous SiLabs driver v. 4.1.1, March 17, 2015 any longer. SiLabs driver v. 4.1.1, March 17, 2015 is my nemesis and that was where all my current problems began, my puter will not recognise or load that driver whatsoever but I installed the newer driver back then on 10.11.2 and all was fine until 2 weeks ago.

Murphy's Law and I are the best of friends  [banghead] :)

I'd also like to state that these are my personal problems and all comments I've made are pertaining to me and my personal situation/setup. I should have put more thought into the heading of the thread, and opened my first post with this line. I have seen a few others with this problem and they've troubleshot it with a hub. I'm thinking of buying a MeteoBridge if this happens to this extent again. I'm not a tech head and from what I struggled thru, everything is pointing to my computer and Apple deactivating any SiLabs kernel after 30 mins. 

The June 24, 2015 SiLabs Driver worked flawlessly for me after this happened even while I upgraded thru to 10.11.3 and 10.11.4 which I upgraded a week after their respective releases and without a single problem until 2 weeks ago. OH and this is why I upgraded to that driver, I forgot to mention that when this happened the first time while I was on 10.11.2, it actually did state in the SiLabs release notes that 10.11 was included BUT that vanished very quickly, literally the next day, so that is why I installed and used the modified June 24, 2015 driver, it did not state it supported El Capitan though just the numbers 10.11, but hey, the timing? Returning to read up further once things were running smoothly the next day, I noticed that it was back to supporting 10.9 and 10.10 instead of 10.10 and 10.11????? QUANDARY. . 

Thanks to everyone who's listened to my non tech idiot ramblings, I really appreciate it. It's just that WC works so well for me I never really have a need to come in here. I do however desperately need help getting my station online but only for WC users. I'm not having a pity party or looking for ANY sympathy here either but this would never have been a problem for me until I fell I'll 6 years ago and it has messed with my cognition so badly that the simple things in life that I took for granted are now long arduous tasks. However my memory might be shot but like today I remembered this information above and I also just remember that why. That day I could not find a fresh copy of the SiLabs driver v. 4.1.1, March 17, 2015. I was told that once that if a kernel is rejected the root cert. is blocked and you need a new one (I conceded 100% that I have no idea how true this is so I dug around for my old Davis software to find the copy and that wouldn't work either. It was the original from that, that had failed)

Thanks for the 10.11.5 upgrade tip, I didn't know it was released yesterday and normally I'd wait a week or two just to see what might pop up.

WC is now running on 10.11.5 with SiLabs Driver 4.10.7 Last Modified: 27/02/2016 and has been going strong for 9-HRS straight now. Aside from once since this happened the average cutoff time before my SiLabs Driver was switching off was 30-40 minutes max, but once I got 3HRS out of it. I'll keep you posted if it crashes again

Special thanks to all but especially xairbusdriver If I hadn't tried safe mode last week, I'd have lost more than a weeks data when it all began.
One clue is that things seem to work in Safe Mode. As you probably know, Safe Mode disables all non-Apple extensions/kernels and even some of Apple's own. That's one of its two main purposes.

Thank you so much, I didn't know that was the reason why it was allowing me to collect my data. That is one very, very valuable piece of information for me. xo

Since others here are not reporting this problem, even with 10.11.4, I'd say it's safe to say the problematic extensions are not from Apple; everyone else is operating with all of Apple's code with that OS, including me (I'm using v. 4.1.1, 3/17/15 of the SiLab driver).

Actually, not to be rude xairbusdriver, but there are others with this problem, but only on this one point. It also doesn't seem to matter which version of 10.11 they're running either, they have used a hub.

However, it is very likely that you have accidentally or intensionally installed an extension directly or installed a non-Apple app that then installed an extension that is causing this problem. The solution, then, is to find that app or extension.

The horror, seriously I'm not joking!

That may not be enjoyable, but it can be done with patience and attention to details.
  • Is there any critical software on that mini(oops, I now see it's a MBP, probably lots of "critical software on it! [banghead] )?
  • How much work are you willing to put into the effort?
[/b]

Hmmm the thought of going thru my software makes me feel violently ill. Is there somewhere in sys report or another way to collate data as to what software I have installed that is either hiding or is off aside from extensions? I have actually deleted loads of software, older versions of Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, Nikon, etc. . . and cleared my SSD of 750GB which was at 700GB down to 400GB to no avail. I'll just have to keep going.

LOL yes not mini I have a 750GB SSD and 2x6TB LaCie LittleBig's and loads of critical photographic software, mostly Abode software, except for plug-ins and FCPX with plug-in's, which is finally cooking with gas after years upgrades. My Camera is a Nikon D800 and the Raw files are 80MB, if I shoot in tiff mode they're around 210MB each so doing time-lapse = massive memory. My computer fills up so quickly it's ridiculous and par for the course, things go haywire quickly when this happens but I just can't find what is causing ONE out of so many kernels to keep shutting off.

HOWEVER, as I have been quite ill this last month the only things I have d/l'ed have been audiobooks, I had not downloaded a single thing for at least two weeks before this happened?

Cheers to all and thanks again.
Paul 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
not to be rude xairbusdriver, but there are others with this problem
First, I'm the one who is too often "rude"! So I know what it looks like and I do not see any in any of your posts! Second, I was aware that there are others with similar problems. I'm just not sure there is any consensus about where the problem lies. I'm willing to bet that absolutely less than 0.1% of this forums members have exactly the same hardware/software setups. That's what often makes trouble-shooting extremely difficult.

I suspect you already have external drives but that's where I would suggest storing most of those massive image files. Actually, in two different drives, as large as you can afford, and completely different than ones you use for 'regular' backups. I'm talking about at least four external drives, but it's your money so I don't mind spending it!!!  :o [cheer] [tup]

Hang in there! I'm still hoping others have some useful solutions for you! And take care of yourself!!

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
Thanks again and yes it is a minuscule amount of people with a similar problem. WC has been running for 14hrs now, the longest stretch of time in over 2 weeks. It had to be 10.11.5 upgrade that's helped so far. It did hang once but that was due to me tinkering.

I do keep all my photographic files on my external thunderbolt HD's. I think I have 14TB's worth now. 

Maybe it's time to drop some rarely used software over there now too.

Thanks to everyone who's thrown in comments, tip's and idea's. It's still early days but the combined effort has me up and running again so thank you all  [bounce]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What! A real bug fix? (Re: Silicon Labs + WC and El Capitan)
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:14 PM »
Dear Paul, X-Air, and WeatherCat pessimistic IT observers,

Murphy's Law and I are the best of friends  [banghead] :)

Yeah I know, Murphy (and law) are one of the most popular guys around!

Thanks for the 10.11.5 upgrade tip, I didn't know it was released yesterday and normally I'd wait a week or two just to see what might pop up.

WC is now running on 10.11.5 with SiLabs Driver 4.10.7 Last Modified: 27/02/2016 and has been going strong for 9-HRS straight now. Aside from once since this happened the average cutoff time before my SiLabs Driver was switching off was 30-40 minutes max, but once I got 3HRS out of it. I'll keep you posted if it crashes again.

[wink] . . . Gasp!  Just as I feared! . . . .

It was foretold in the Book of Revelation, the prophesies of Saint Malachy and Nostradamus, (not to mention the secret revelations of the Berkeley Macintosh User Group - BMUG) that if Apple actually fixed a bug before releasing their new car . . . . . .

The end of the world is at hand!!
. . . . .

So okay, Apple actually fixing a bug - is - unusual, but perhaps it isn't quite so apocalyptic!  [lol2]

Seriously, glad you are back in business!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Tizza, glad to see you are getting some improved mileage out of your new configuration. Let's hope it holds.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
What! A real bug fix?
According to some reports, there are 67 bug fixes. [rolleyes2]
Yes, Virginia, Apple does fix bugs... eventually. They just rarely tell you what they are.

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
30+ HRS since upgrading to 10.11.5 and no problems YET! I shouldn't have said that

You guys have all been great
What! A real bug fix?
According to some reports, there are 67 bug fixes. [rolleyes2]
Yes, Virginia, Apple does fix bugs... eventually. They just rarely tell you what they are.

LMAO, so very true!! :)

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Meteobridge
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 02:53:51 AM »
Another option to fix these driver issues is to not use a USB driver. I use a Meteobridge that WeatherCat sees on my network, it acts as a backup for uploading to services, and I don't have a worry in the world about driver updates, driver incompatibilities, upgrades, running things in Terminal, etc.

Just my 0.02?

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Also IP data logger (Re: Meteobridge)
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:13 PM »
Dear dfw and WeatherCat PWS "survivalists," . . .

Another option to fix these driver issues is to not use a USB driver. I use a Meteobridge that WeatherCat sees on my network, it acts as a backup for uploading to services.

That's true.  I suppose that would be my "Plan-C."  My Plan-B is to switch to a Davis IP logger.  Metrobridge isn't as exciting to me because I've been using WeatherCat to upload for so long that Metrobridge isn't complete enough.  If I have to use WeatherCat for some uploads, it makes more sense to keep all the controls in one place.

I don't have a worry in the world about driver updates, driver incompatibilities, upgrades, running things in Terminal, etc.

[wink] . . . . Awe shucks!  So where does that leave you?  Are you stuck worrying about the fact you don't have enough things to worry about! . . .  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
Yes meterobridge is my plan C is this happens to this magnitude again.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Meteobridge
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 05:25:00 AM »
Metrobridge[sic] isn't as exciting to me because I've been using WeatherCat to upload for so long that Metrobridge isn't complete enough.  If I have to use WeatherCat for some uploads, it makes more sense to keep all the controls in one place.
You don't have to use Meteobridge for any uploads to solve the USB driver issue.

Personally speaking though, I like the robustness of Meteobridge, even for uploads, because it's a much more robust solution than using a computer with desktop software.

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
FIX: if on OS X 10.11, update to 10.11.6!

I know that this topic has not been active lately, but I have not seen anyone post a fundamental solution. I just faced this issue and came upon this thread. I had a total disk failure and had to install OS X from scratch, moving up from 10.9 to 10.11 on an older MBP. The install thumb drive I had for this was 10.11.3, and immediately I had the uart issue; thus finding this thread. I tried updating the Silab driver to no avail.

However, I soon got a notice to update the OS to 10.11.6. When I did this, it solved the problem. So, incase someone else happened to be in that situation, I wanted to post this experience.