Author Topic: A pictoral promise that spring will finally come.  (Read 8003 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A pictoral promise that spring will finally come.
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »
Dear WeatherCat users who are - oh so weary - with the winter weather.  [freeze]

The vernal equinox was yesterday, but I suspect that is little comfort for a good many of you.  I'm not sure this little display will cheer you'all up much either, but if a few visions of spring would help, I have a few photos that should fit the bill:

Here are some Oxalis wildflowers that have invaded our mostly wild lawn:

Here are some Euryops flowers:

This is two more Euryops bushes:

It won't raise the temperatures where you'all are at, but it might raise your spirits a little.  Spring will most certainly arrive eventually where you are.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
Re: A pictoral promise that spring will finally come.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
It's been an unusually mild and dry Winter here in the South San Francisco Bay area.

Our Bougainvillea seems to think Spring is here too.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »
Hi Edouard
 That's nice to see another cold blast this weekend thru Wednesday I don't think winter is ever going to end

Those are beautiful Ken

cheers

[cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »
And we had snow today... Just enough to cover the ground here at home, but I was 12 miles west at cardio rehab and there was about .75" on the ground. Another patient came in from a town about 15 miles south and they had 2" of snow this morning.

However, both of your photos give me hope that I won't be raising popcycles in the garden this year.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Change in the weather? (Re: Promise that spring will finally come.)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
Howdy Ken, Randall, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

Definitely springtime busting out all over around here.  I had to mix my second gallon of Round-Up herbicide and this afternoon I have mow the lawn for the second time this season.  It just ain't fair I tell ya'!

However, these is a change in the weather apparently on the way.  California is supposed to get two rain storms next week - hurray!!

I just checked the National Weather Service Climate prediction center:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

They are forecasting normal temperatures for most of the Midwest and Eastern seaboard.  Only the extreme north and south would be below average.  So perhaps you'all will see a least a little moderation in temperatures.

I was 12 miles west at cardio rehab

Hope indeed that your recovery is going well!  [tup]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Change in the weather? (Re: Promise that spring will finally come.)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
Hope indeed that your recovery is going well!

Thanks! I got an email from John asking about this, so I must have noted it in a PM or email to you but not the list.

No worries! Long story: In September (just after turning 60), I had my first kidney stone. Didn't know what it was, so went to the ER, and they did their thing, including a CT scan. My MD got the test results, and I asked why the sugar would be so high. Bam! He does a complete sugar screening and pronounces me pre-diabetic, even though one of the three numbers is under the range, and the other two are barely in range. I need to change my diet, lose weight, and start exercising. (I was the highest weight I'd ever been, and since retiring, had done an awful lot of sitting on my ass.)

November I had another CT scan to see where the kidney stone was, since I hadn't passed it. Scan shows that apparently I had and didn't know, but the scan also showed some plaque in the arteries of my abdomen. My MD gets the scans, and decides since there is plaque in the abdomen, there probably is in my heart, so I take a nuclear stress test. Results are as the doctor suspects, so I get to see a cardiologist. Two days before Christmas, I find that I need to have a heart catheterization. I'd never had a single symptom, and had no clue there was anything wrong.

January 9 I went to out patience to get cath'd and while they are in there they find the right anterior artery(??) 90% blocked, and put in a stent. I went home the next day, and was mostly back to normal a day or so later. January 20 I started 12 weeks of cardiac rehab. I feel silly bing in there, as most folks have had heart attacks, open heart surgery, half a dozen stents, etc. But I'm loving doing the rehab, and to my RN's displeasure, pushing harder than they want every session.

From the September sugar warning until I went to the cardiologist, I had lost 7 pounds. Since surgery, I've lost 18 more, for a total today (six months later) of 25 pounds. :) My goal is 14 more. Mostly, I've reduced portion size, and stopped eating the cookies and candy my wife and daughter have around the house. I already rarely had pop, never eat fast food, cut out salt decades ago. So most of what I was eating was good, just way too much. Still, now I'm eating a lot more veggies and fruit, and avoiding what's bad for me when possible.

So I feel great, I'm off my ass moving, I bought a Craigslist mountain bike for more exercise. I'm eligible for free stuff through Ohio's Golden Buckeye program, which includes free classes at the community college about two miles away. They offer senior workout access, so I'll be taking advantage of that.

All in all, I was the kick in the butt I needed all along, knew I needed to do, but was too lazy to get started.

Thanks for asking,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
Very happy to hear it isn't more serious than that, as that is serious enough. Better to catch it on the front end and do the things you are doing now. Your cardio rehab is the human version of Davis replacing your ISS sensors; it just costs way more than $100!
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
it just costs way more than $100!

That's for sure!! Coulda bought another scooter for just one of the bills.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad things worked out. (Re: Promise that spring will finally come.)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
Hi Steve and WeatherCat community,

No worries! Long story:
. . . . . .

All in all, I was the kick in the butt I needed all along, knew I needed to do, but was too lazy to get started.

Well, still a lucky escape.  Glad that indeed all this was caught long before anything serious happened and that you have made it into an opportunity to put yourself back on the right track!  [tup]

Mostly, I've reduced portion size, and stopped eating the cookies and candy my wife and daughter have around the house.

;) . . . So if you aren't eating the cookies and candy . . . . . who is?  . . .  [lol2]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Glad things worked out. (Re: Promise that spring will finally come.)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:57 PM »
So if you aren't eating the cookies and candy . . . . . who is?

You remember the nursery rhyme of Jack Spratt?

Sorry for the hijack. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm doing great since two people asked.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 03:17:20 AM »
Nice Spring pictures, Eduard!

Take care of that pump, Steve! I'll bet your 2014 will be more active than the previous 3 years combined!
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Can't please everyone! (Re: Spring will finally come.)
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »
Hi Herb and WeatherCat spring watchers,

Nice Spring pictures, Edouard!

Well, . . . that was then . . . . this is now!

What the plants truly thirst for . . . .isn't exactly the best thing for the flowers!  Oh well, you can't please everybody!  [biggrin]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
Hi Edouard and Cat family
 Well it is raining  [thunder] and 35 degrees and going to change to snow [snowflake]   [goofy]

Still on sign of Spring yet

cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Climate predication center not optimistic (Re: A pictoral promise)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat inhabitants of the "North American Freezer,"

Well it is raining  [thunder] and 35 degrees and going to change to snow [snowflake]   [goofy]

Still on sign of Spring yet

Well, since I never did master the art of the crystal ball, I turn to the next best thing which is the National Weather Service - Climate Predication Center:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Alas, once more they are being very pessimistic about temperatures in the Midwest and east coast of the United States for at least one more month.  However, that wasn't that they were predicting last week so . . . . . go figure!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
California poppy! (Re: Promise that spring will finally come.)
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
Dear WeatherCat season watchers,

In California, what could be more spring than . . . . . a California poppy!

Hope that everyone is getting closer to their own spring flowers!