Author Topic: Daily Hi/Low Temp Timestamps  (Read 4456 times)

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
  • Station Details: Davis VP2; Imac; ElCapitan
Daily Hi/Low Temp Timestamps
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »
Hello all,

NEW to this forum.  I am seriously considering moving off Weather Display and on to WeatherCat.  I'm checking things out/evaluating.

I know Hugh is or has developed a script to import WD data which is very important to me since I have WD data from 2005 which I would like to retain.

The other important issue for me is my web page.  Currently I use the Saratoga/carterlake template which I love.  I know that is available on WeatherCat.  Would just need to figure how to get that done since someone set up my current page for me (for $$ which I'm willing to do for someone here if I come on board).

WD uses a text file for its data.  I believe Wcat uses a database of sort.    WD if any outages (either wd or computer out etc) when I reconnect it syncs with my Davis VP and pulls the missing data. Assuming Wcat will do that.  If i also read the board, the data is easy to change should an error occur (which is not so easy on WD).

Looking at the screenshots for Wcat, the main page has all the basic stuff (temp wind rain etc).  However, I don't see the time stamps for any of them (i.e. low was 32 at 7:02am, wind max 12MPH at 3:00 etc etc).   Is this possible via some configuration?

Also the main app page where all the graphs are - are those one "window" or separate windows?    WD has everything in one window (granted its very small).

Anyways.. thanks for your time and help. I do appreciate it.

Regards
Paul

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Daily Hi/Low Temp Timestamps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »
If you want time stamps like shown on this "Current Weather" page and my "Statistics" page, they are super simple with WC. For example:
    High Temp: 79.9?F at 12:25 pm
    Low Temp: 68.0?F at 6:43 am
    High Heat Index: 79.9 ?F at 12:25 pm
    High Pressure: 30.06 inHg at 1:58 pm...
The High Temp above is created by the following "WC tags" in an html file:
STAT$TEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY$TEMPUNITS$ at
<?php echo strtolower('STAT$TEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY:TIME$'); ?>
The red text is replaced by WC with the actual data it stores. The 'edited' page is then sent to your web servers, the original page is not changed, it will be updated/edited at the time interval you choose.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I use the php function simply to change "PM"/"AM" to "pm"/"am" just because I like it that way! [lol] [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »
Thanks,

WOW code, EEEEK.. LOL

To make sure we are on the same page, i'm referring to  the main Wcat page (which i'm including an example of a screenshot I found off the net since I don't have it installed yet)

This would be the equivalent of the weather display screen (screen shot of mine attached)

In my attached Wcat screen shot is this all one window like WD or are the graphs separate images (just placed together on the mac desktop)?

Hope my questions are making sense. Forgive me otherwise.

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »
forgot wCat screenshot
Won't let me upload due to size

here is the link:  http://trixology.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/WeatherCat2.png

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »
Speaking of "forgetting"... I meant to include a link to my site, but that's already available by clicking on the 'banner' below my posts. Here's a screen shot of the four pieces of data with their time stamps:

I think the part of the screen shot you posted is a small screen that WC can display on the computer running the app. It probably doesn't include time stamps because it is "live" data that updates on the schedule you choose. Mine updates every minute, but WC only updates some of my web pages at two minute intervals. Some pages, like the Statistics page, update more like every few hours. That's all up to you and the settings you make in the prefs if you have your own site. If you use a template, those settings are probably in its settings.

Hopefully, someone who really knows what they are talking about will come along this weekend. I think you'll enjoy this site as the WC developer actually maintains it and often responds publicly to questions. But this site is full of really helpful and knowledgeable folks, some of whom are 'weather fanatics'! cmu:-)

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:44:02 PM »
Thanks again

That helps...

I would want the timestamps in the main window if that makes sense

Like in the WD screenshot I sent

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
More info on WeatherCat (Re: Daily Hi/Low Temp Timestamps)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »
Dear Paul, X-Air, and WeatherCat fans,

NEW to this forum. 

By all means welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

The other important issue for me is my web page.  Currently I use the Saratoga/carterlake template which I love.  I know that is available on WeatherCat.  Would just need to figure how to get that done since someone set up my current page for me (for $$ which I'm willing to do for someone here if I come on board).

You might not have to change much since WeatherCat drives the Saratoga template directly.  The best way to find out is to post a question on the Saratoga thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=158.0

WD uses a text file for its data.  I believe Wcat uses a database of sort.   

Actually WeatherCat defaults to a test file data storage, but SQL is supported as an option.

WD if any outages (either wd or computer out etc) when I reconnect it syncs with my Davis VP and pulls the missing data. Assuming Wcat will do that.  If i also read the board, the data is easy to change should an error occur (which is not so easy on WD).

Of course WeatherCat will pick up any data on your Davis logger and incorporate into the data.  Yes, WeatherCat also has a data editor.

Looking at the screenshots for Wcat, the main page has all the basic stuff (temp wind rain etc).  However, I don't see the time stamps for any of them (i.e. low was 32 at 7:02am, wind max 12MPH at 3:00 etc etc).   Is this possible via some configuration?

X-Air has explained how to can add this to say a web page, but sorry there is no way at the moment to simply add this to the current displays.  You might suggest this as a feature request on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=4.0

Also the main app page where all the graphs are - are those one "window" or separate windows?    WD has everything in one window (granted its very small).

In WeatherCat most things are separate windows: graphs, status, custom gauges, daily summary, etc.  The one exception is the standard gauges which has a common group of indicators prepackaged.  However, since WeatherCat has custom gauges it is possible organize the same information in any way you wish.

There is a Wiki with additional WeatherCat information:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

On the Wiki is a copy of the current WeatherCat user manual:

http://data.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCatUserManual.pdf

Those two resources should help you learn a lot more about what WeatherCat is capable of.

Once more welcome and I hope you do choose to switch to WeatherCat.  We all certainly like it!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:12 PM »
First, let me apologize for not welcoming you to the forums, I misunderstood your comment about "joining". [blush]

I think what you are looking at in your linked graphic are simply samples of the windows WC can display directly from the app, no web connection required. Those windows are not usually used on a website, either with a template or manually created. The exception(s) are the Gauges and some of the graphs. All those are modifiable in the WC Prefs.

Take a look of my simple site and you can see how I used the gauges and graphs I designed with the WC tools. Just click on the 'banner' below' my posts. BTW, those banners are also created and updated by WC. It's a quite comprehensive and easy to use app! ThU32:-)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
Times aren't in that window as it would be too cluttered - it's already quite 'busy'. You can however get times for temp and wind in the NOAA report (Tools->NOAA Style Report).

Cheers.

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Times aren't in that window as it would be too cluttered - it's already quite 'busy'. You can however get times for temp and wind in the NOAA report (Tools->NOAA Style Report).

Cheers.

Hmmmm.. that could be a deal breaker for me.  I look at those things a lot and would not want to go somewhere else to get them

Why not just make that window bigger to add the times

Guess I could put that in the enhancement section as a request :)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
I look at those things a lot and would not want to go somewhere else to get them
You mean you don't have a browser open any time the computer is running?! [lol] Still, request away, the dev is very interested in anything he can do to make his great app even more useful. [tup]

In the meantime, I think the "NOAA Style Reports" he mentioned are on page 47 of The Manual. I think that the report you see would be updated, on screen, as often as you have set WC to do that. It can also be included on a "Custom" web page, once you get that set up.

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
I look at those things a lot and would not want to go somewhere else to get them
You mean you don't have a browser open any time the computer is running?! [lol] Still, request away, the dev is very interested in anything he can do to make his great app even more useful. [tup]

In the meantime, I think the "NOAA Style Reports" he mentioned are on page 47 of The Manual. I think that the report you see would be updated, on screen, as often as you have set WC to do that. It can also be included on a "Custom" web page, once you get that set up.

But why would I have to go somewhere else, when it could easily be in the main window?  I'm sorry to compare to WD, but as you see its all there. I agree cramped, so just make the window bigger.

I use the daily hi/low and rain timestamps a lot.  So going back and forth to a web page to get this to me seems overkill when the app could provide it.

I hope i'm not coming across the wrong way.  I just am looking for a "one stop" place to see my data at a glance.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
Sorry, DeputyDawg, I'm just "pulling your chain"! Don't take me seriously. No one else does! [goofy]

The main reason I mainly view my weather data via a browser is that WC is running on a headless (no video monitor attached) Mac mini. The only time I could see it's video output, if there actually was any, is when I would use Screen Sharing. I think I can set up WC to send those hard-coded windows to my LAN but having the browser running almost always is much simpler. Plus I can see my whole site, not just what is hard-coded. WC has so much information stored and the tags and tools for creating gauges/graphs/reports/charts, both historical and current, is incredible. Personally, I like being able to create what and how I see all that information in my customized layout.

Plus there's the kick-back I receive! Would you believe current customers get a check from the dev each month for 5% of all new purchases?! [coffee]
I didn't think you would... cmu:-)
But, also remember, ~99.998% of posters on this forum
already own/use WC, so we are a bit biased. [cheer]

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 06:31:47 PM »
Thanks,

But shouldn't it be customizable - those who want the times vs. those who don't.

I have a dedicated screen (iMac). So when i look at it, i like seeing the weather values AND timestamps

Is there a way to customize the main screen to do this?  If not, great enhancement (hint hint):)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 07:33:02 PM »
But shouldn't it be customizable
Well, as programmers say, "Sure, I can do that! Programming is only typing!" cmu:-)

Is there a way to customize the main screen to do this?
I'm assuming the "main screen" you are talking about is the window labeled "WeatherCat" in the image you link to. If it's a different one please explain. As far as I know and as the dev I think implies, this window is hard-coded into the app. He can/could change what's in there and or make it larger. But we must remember that there are always consequences to changing the code for any app. So he has the final say about when or if he has the time or even the inclination to do that. He already has several requests for other changes, some of which are not trivial and have been asked for by several people.

While it might be nice to have an app look exactly the way we might want, with all the data we want displayed on any particular window, very few supply that kind of interface. There are always choices made when designing the windows an app displays. Many of those choices are concerned with pleasing the greatest number of users versus showing the greatest amount of data. As Mr. Lincoln said, "You can please some of the people, some of the time. You can please a few of the people all the time. But you can't please all the people all the time!" :)

One thing that is easy is to create a simple wed page showing exactly the data you want. The WC app makes the task of updating the data and uploading it to your web space trivial. Most browsers can display a page in a window while simultaneously have multiple other windows or tabs open. You can also adjust the size of that window to just about any size you want, even making it larger than your screen, assuming you don't mind scrolling... html is simply text. You write it with any text processor, tell WC where it is, and WC does all the work from that point forward. ThU5:-)

However, you will note that the dev has acknowledged your request. He will, no doubt, consider it, especially if he gets more requests for it. He has made many changes purely because he listens to his customers! I truly wish more companies paid as much attention to their customers! [rolleyes2]