Author Topic: VP 2 firmware upgrade blocking older data loggers.  (Read 6167 times)

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
VP 2 firmware upgrade blocking older data loggers.
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
There has been some discussions on other weather forums about Davis upgrading the VP 2 console firmware to V 3.0. This has the effect of stopping all older Davis data loggers from working, unless you have been lucky enough to have a new logger that has a "green dot" on the weatherlink link box that the logger is shipped in.

As I have had to change my console under warranty after only 6 weeks use, and knowing that the probability is extremely high that the Mac USB data loggers are not 'green-dot", I emailed Davis requesting verification of their policy in the event that I have to change my console in the future.

This was their reply:

"John,

We recently updated the hardware on our console which requires the new 3.0 firmware. Old data loggers are not compatible with the new version console hardware. A replacement data logger would need to come from your local distributor and they will be able to tell you if it will be available for no charge.

Eric Nickl
Technical Support
Davis Instruments
510-732-7814 "

So you may or may not get a replacement data logger because Davis have made the existing loggers obsolete. Anybody got a spare ?($)200 for new loggers ?

John

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WOW!! (Re: VP 2 firmware upgrade blocking older data loggers.)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
Hi JC and Weather Davis users,

There has been some discussions on other weather forums about Davis upgrading the VP 2 console firmware to V 3.0. This has the effect of stopping all older Davis data loggers from working, unless you have been lucking enough to have a new logger that has a "green dot" on the weatherlink link box that the logger is shipped in.

WOW!!  :o

I've always been a bit cautious about doing things like firmware upgrades, but this certainly justifies by caution.

Do you know what is in the 3.0 firmware update?  Is there anything the WeatherCat user community is likely to really desire?

I hope not, cuz I won't be doing it!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: VP 2 firmware upgrade blocking older data loggers.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Hi Edouard

I've no idea what's in the console firmware upgrade to Ver 3.0, or why it stops all previous data loggers from working. It seems to be installed from all new VP2 consoles manufactured from about Sept/Oct 2012.

It's also being installed by default if you took advantage of Davis $99 refurbishment program and sent your station and console in for repair.

To do this 'upgrade' and then leave customers with no assurances that they will get a replacement data logger ...........

John

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
GULP!! (Re: VP 2 firmware)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

I've no idea what's in the console firmware upgrade to Ver 3.0, or why it stops all previous data loggers from working. It seems to be installed from all new VP2 consoles manufactured from about Sept/Oct 2012.

The plot is getting decidedly more sinister.  :o  You can't download the version 3.0 upgrade and it isn't listed on the Davis website.  Therefore there is no way for any of us to know what it does.

That is decidedly un-cool.   >:(

It's also being installed by default if you took advantage of Davis $99 refurbishment program and sent your station and console in for repair.

To do this 'upgrade' and then leave customers with no assurances that they will get a replacement data logger ...........

Has this happened to you?  How did you find out about it?

Bummer dude, Davis stock just went seriously down in my book.  :(

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:52:09 AM »
Hi Edouard, JC, and Cat Fans
 I was going to upgrade to a Davis this spring but now this just may scare me away
I think Davis should include the data logger with the station sounds like me they are just doing every thing they can to get as much money out of your pocket that they can
 [cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »
Hi Edouard and Randall

It's been talked about a lot on wxforum.net

Looks like it was first discovered by somebody in Germany ? Who was using a non-Davis data logger that stopped working when they upgraded their system.

A dealer here in the UK started looking at his stock, as he had no knowledge of any hardware/firmware change to the VP2 console and also noted the difference although it appears Davis still has not officially notified any distributors/dealers.

I decided to send a email to technical support/sales asking for clarification of the rumours and got that answer from Eric Nicki. You being in the USA would probably get an replacement easier than us, as Davis will not deal direct with foreign customers but we have to deal with their approved agents, and if Davis do not have a policy of logger replacement in force, I fear I'm  out of pocket if I ever have to change console for any reason.

I wonder does anybody have the name of Davis CEO ?

JC