Author Topic: RIP lacrosse WS-2316 - replace it with...?  (Read 7131 times)

slavetothelight

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weatherlink IP, Mac Mini 7,1
RIP lacrosse WS-2316 - replace it with...?
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
I think I can safely say that my anemometer is no more:

Sucker lasted two years.  Not bad, considering I bought it off eBay for $60.  Apparently LaCrosse doesn't sell spare parts; no surprises there, considering how cheap they are.

Cheap, of course, being my operating principle.  WeatherCat is running on a Hackintosh eeePC that I built for $130.  So while a Davis Vantage Pro 2 is the obvious answer to my question, I thought I'd get the opinions of the crew here.

The consoles on the Davis are so ugly.  The Vue is better, but if I'm going to spend the coin on a Davis I want to fantasize that I'll be able to add other stations when I move from my 3rd-floor condo to that ranch I'm imagining.  I don't know the first thing about the Oregon Scientific stations and it looks like the only LaCrosse WeatherCat supports is the 23xx (no 28xx?  No parallel port? is that the issue?). 

So I guess the question is: go for the Vantage?  Go for the Vue?  Go for an Oregon Scientific?  I'm gonna feel like an idiot buying an NOS 3-year-old LaCrosse that's going to die in a year.

Thanks for all opinions, guys.  I'm annoyed that Wunderground isn't showing my wind speed, but as it read 71mph for most of the day I can hardly blame them.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: RIP lacrosse WS-2316 - replace it with...?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »
Hi slavetothelight
 you can get some replacement parts here: http://www.shopwiki.com/l/La-Crosse-Technology-TX12U-Replacement-Wind-Sensor-%28B0016ZWOEI%29
hope this helps
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
There are worse choices than a VP-2 (Re: RIP WS-2316)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Dear slavetothelight and WeatherCat fans,

So while a Davis Vantage Pro 2 is the obvious answer to my question, I thought I'd get the opinions of the crew here.

Well since you are running WeatherCat, your choices are a bit limited.  Normally folks run away screaming from the price of a Davis Vantage Pro-2, but you mention it up-front.  If you can cope with the cost, you will be rewarded by a very tough package that is probably more expandable than you'll ever be able to use, and will give you trouble free operation for many years.

I've been critical of Davis because they are very slow to take advantage of the latest technology.  However, they are a privately owned company with clearly a conservative outlook.  When you are building weather instruments, maybe that is really a very good thing.

If you have watched this forum at all, folks are having some problems with Vantage Vues.  Between that and the limitation of an all-in-one instrument package, it certainly isn't the best choice.  If you want to give yourself something for Christmas that will keep giving for years to come, shop around for the best price and get a VP-2.  You may want still more from Davis, but you are unlikely to ever be sorry for the purchase.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. One of our WeatherCat regulars, Steve Morris has recommended Archer's Trading Post for buying Davis equipment at very attractive prices.

http://www.archertradingpost.com

If you decide to go Davis, you might check on their prices to see.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »
Certainly a VP will last, and you can just buy a basic wireless system for starters and expand it later (although this does work out more expensive in the long run).

Below that, as of now your choices are Vantage Vue, WMR200, Davis Monitor or WS23xx.

However, if you come back in a day or two when WeatherCat version 1.1.1 is released, you'll also have the option of the Fine Offset WH1080/2080 and derivatives (Ambient, Watson and many others). This is a 'budget' station (~$100) which performs pretty well. The downside of it is the rather slow update rate (48 seconds), but if you can live with that, it works well - even has a 4096 entry data logger (you may see this advertised as a minimum of 5 minutes logging interval - WeatherCat allows a range of 1 to 240 minutes). You may well need to take advantage of WeatherCat's calibration feature (the humidity sensors can be a bit off), but we've had one running here pretty much non-stop for the last few weeks with no problems.

slavetothelight

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weatherlink IP, Mac Mini 7,1
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
I think my plan is to get the anemometer down (it's on the end of a piece of 8' conduit, on the 3rd floor... not good for acrophobics), beat on it with a hammer and see what happens.  Thanks for the link to the parts - no idea why I didn't find any when I looked!  If nothing else, I'll see what Stu has in store... everything is working but the anemometer right now so I can hang for a little...

Thanks, everybody!

Seth

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: There are worse choices than a VP-2 (Re: RIP WS-2316)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:17 AM »
P.S. One of our WeatherCat regulars, Steve Morris has recommended Archer's Trading Post for buying Davis equipment at very attractive prices.

http://www.archertradingpost.com

If you decide to go Davis, you might check on their prices to see.

Just for an additional source, I've also been made aware of Rainman Weather (www.rainmanweather.com) Be sure to use the email option for best pricing. Davis is one of those companies that doesn't allow its vendors to advertise their products below a certain price, but Archer has unadvertised sales, and Rainman has the email option. With both you cn save a substantial amount over what you see on the web pages. Both companies have superb customer service reputations.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook