Author Topic: lake dog from Georgia (USA) here  (Read 3514 times)

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
lake dog from Georgia (USA) here
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »
I have been running LWC for quite sometime, first on a Davis VP, then in parallel on a VP2. The VP is getting long in the tooth, and may be approaching EOL. I decided to start the VP2 up in an alternate physical location on the same general site, before the VP dies, so I could compare how similar the reports would be. I also run a VP2 at a mountain location using Davis Weatherlink on an old Dell laptop with Win XP.

I plan to replace the Dell with a MacBook Pro I am retiring from work; and, having neglected the MacWeather site for quite a while (since both LWC stations have been running without problems for a long time!), I decided to check on whether there were any LWC updates. Lo and Behold, I see references to WeatherCat, but, so far, have found very little real discussion of substance there. After finding a link to here, I hope to find out more about what Stu is doing differently with WC than he did with LWC. I am sure it must be "New and Improved", but I will want to find out more about how it differs and current stability before I switch. (I am sure Stu is preparing a product that will lead to a switch!) I look forward to learning about it.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGAGAINE13

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGAGAINE24

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGASAUTE2

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try da' Cat . . . you'll like it! (Re: lake dog)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:27 PM »
Hi Lakedog and WeatherCat fans,

First, welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

Lo and Behold, I see references to WeatherCat, but, so far, have found very little real discussion of substance there. After finding a link to here, I hope to find out more about what Stu is doing differently with WC than he did with LWC. I am sure it must be "New and Improved", but I will want to find out more about how it differs and current stability before I switch. (I am sure Stu is preparing a product that will lead to a switch!) I look forward to learning about it.

Well I do hope that your poking around has found references to a very alive and kicking WeatherCat!  [cat]  Some of us have been using WeatherCat for 2 months and I think I speak for all the private beta testers when I say: once we upgraded to WeatherCat - we weren't going back!!  [tup]

However, you don't have to wait on the sidelines.  There is a public beta of WeatherCat that you can download for yourself and try out:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=216.0

It installs as smoothly as an LWC upgrade and just like LWC, it runs and runs and runs!!  [computer]

So don't just stand there!!  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: lake dog from Georgia (USA) here
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »
Hi Lakedog
 Edouard is right WeatherCat has all the bells and whistles that LWC had and a lot more if you try it I know you will like it
The upgrade to WeatherCat is flawless and it offers so much more and with Edouards scripts you can also upload  your data to many more places there are a lot of folks here to help you with about any questions of have and Stu is great with all your questions
 [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:45:19 AM »
Hi Lakedog, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

As Edouard said, Stu was right on target with his first beta of WeatherCat. Beta #1 was already on par LWC 2.1.1 plus some improvements, and with Beta #2 I discarded LWC completely. It has only gotten better since.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »
Very well! If it is as simple as an LWC upgrade, I'll give it a try on one of the stations here.

BTW, is there a thread that discusses the improvements/added bells and whistles vs LWC?

Thanks.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum lakedog!

Stu.