Author Topic: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services?  (Read 11763 times)

Xipper

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1914
    • KORPORTL202
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro
Re: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »
I too have been a Dyn user forever, however I recently stopped using them due to having a bunch of issues...one of them being that some providers (e.g. my employer's networks) block access to known dynamic DNS providers.  My new router made it easier to use other options, and the Dyn updater client hasn't been reliable for me...so I left Dyn and am actually using Google's DNS for my setup currently. 

Hurricane Electric offers a service as well, and they are a great company donating other services to make the Internet a better place (e.g. IPv6 tunnel services).  I can get IPv6 from my provider, but the IP addresses change all the time...where I have a static block from Hurricane Electric and I don't have to hack my way around using bare IPv6 addresses to bypass some annoying things my employer does.

If you use Google to register a domain (as I do, as it is superior to GoDaddy's junk service) then you can create a dynamic DNS entry using your own private domain.  This is what I've implemented and it works great on my Mikrotik router with a simple script.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
More questions (Re: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services? )
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »
Dear Blick, Steve, Xipper, and WeatherCat Internet technologists,

I've been using NoIP for about five years, http://www.noip.com/remote-access

It is free to use, but for some reason I can't recall, I upgraded to the Enhanced level. It shows $25/year, but I'm good through 2020 at $15/year less a 20% discount they frequently send out.

I see that they still claim to have a free service but there is this: "confirm every 30 days" business.  Aren't they forcing you back to their website in order to be exposed to advertising once a month?

If you use Google to register a domain (as I do, as it is superior to GoDaddy's junk service) then you can create a dynamic DNS entry using your own private domain.  This is what I've implemented and it works great on my Mikrotik router with a simple script.

I have a feeling that's more elaborate than I want anyway, but exactly how does this work?  Does your script on your router update the IP address associated with your network domain on the Google DNS servers?

The curious mind continues to be curious!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: More questions (Re: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services? )
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 03:10:39 AM »
I see that they still claim to have a free service but there is this: "confirm every 30 days" business.  Aren't they forcing you back to their website in order to be exposed to advertising once a month?

I don't know what that is. If so, it is probably not too much trouble to take 15 seconds a month to maintain free use of the site.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
"15 seconds a month" is still cheap. OTOH, it would probably also entail another 10 seconds to set up a monthly reminder. Then there is the few seconds recognizing the monthly Notification.

I don't see the 'visit every 30 days' as any worse than a pop-up dialog reminding you that you are benefiting from an app but have not yet paid for it. It's just a reminder that "There ain't no free lunch". [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
NoIP Daemon
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 04:14:34 AM »
I use NoIP and enjoy the pricing (I have a custom domain) but do have one big beef with them:

The updater daemon does not start up automatically (even when the option is checked to do so) after a restart. They've acknowledged to me that this is a known problem and are hoping to update it in the next macOS version they write, but that's been months. So, with each restart of the iMac, I have to open the NoIP prefs and restart the demonic daemon.

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the observation (Re: NoIP Daemon)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:05 PM »
Dear DFW and WeatherCat Internet users,

I use NoIP and enjoy the pricing (I have a custom domain) but do have one big beef with them:

The updater daemon does not start up automatically (even when the option is checked to do so) after a restart.

Okay, that's one more data point.  Thanks for the report.  I'm once more completely overwhelmed but perhaps I'll get back to this someday.

Cheers, Edouard

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
Not sure if this will confuse the situation further...

I use multiple dynamic dns hosts as I use them for different reasons... but for my home I use dynip (example myhome.dynip.com) and then in my domain's DNS I use a CNAME record to point house.DOMAIN.com to myhome.dynip.com so that I can create TLS certificates for https using LetsEncrypt's certbot (free SSL Certs)

yeah... i'm strnage  [tup]