Author Topic: AppleScript users - how's the "itch" . . . .  (Read 2530 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
AppleScript users - how's the "itch" . . . .
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:20 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Steve has now been using my new and improved AppleScripts for over 10 days and obviously - he lived through it!  [biggrin]

I've caught a few more bugs, but the main code project I had before me now seems hopeless.  After checking around a bit, it sure seems like trying to make these AppleScripts available in other languages is hopeless.  The translation framework can handle text, but it cannot handle numbers properly.  The tools that can do this are only accessible from Xcode.  So I'm staring at that hurdle before translations become practical.

So the one thing that is standing in the way of releasing these AppleScript is - documentation.  Alas, as you all know, my documentation is . . . . lengthy.  Revising all of that is going to take a while.  In the meantime what is out there is getting seriously obsolete.

So I'm trying to gauge . . . . exactly how bold and reckless are users of my AppleScripts right now?  ;)

Steve was able to figure out how the new installation scheme worked with the barest of a Quickstart document.  I have learned from his pain and beefed up that.  I've also added some additional comments in places like the preference files to help folks get their heads around the new scheme.

So if there was a lot of itchin' for these new scripts I could release them without proper documentation as WeatherCat first showed up to the private beta testers.  The trouble is I don't know who has tried them before and who hasn't.  If folks get into a lot of trouble, I could end up spending a lot of time providing comments on the forum instead of revising the documentation.  Effectively making something late - even later!  :o

What's the opinion of the AppleScript using faithful?  Are folks doing fine with things as is, or is there a real itch?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: AppleScript users - how's the "itch" . . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
Hi Edouard
 So what about the station status any new news or can you tell what files I need to put in them folders to get the old on to work
thanks
 [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: AppleScript users - how's the "itch" . . . .
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:47 AM »
I can tell you that, having installed the LWC Apple Scripts, I was able to install the new un-documented WeatherCat scripts with almost no problems. A couple quick questions to verify assumptions with Edouard, and I had all six up and running in no time.

If you've done the previous scripts, you can do these!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook