Author Topic: Notification when external IP address changes  (Read 2390 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Notification when external IP address changes
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »
WeatherCat mobile users access their WeatherCat server by using the external (aka public) IP address. If the external IP address is a dynamic IP address, it can change. It would be nice if WeatherCat could monitor the external IP address and send a text when it changes. The text would include the new IP address. This would be a preference item.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Notification when external IP address changes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »
Yes. This would be a very helpful addition.
Blick

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »
Many routers have this functionality and provide a dynamic DNS (DDNS) that you can point your WeatherCat clients to permanently. If your router won't perform this for you, you can register for free with no-ip for your own DDNS, download their daemon and run it on your computer for free. The daemon will check your public IP and update the DDNS on a regular basis.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:59:54 PM »
Many routers have this functionality and provide a dynamic DNS (DDNS) that you can point your WeatherCat clients to permanently. If your router won't perform this for you, you can register for free with no-ip for your own DDNS, download their daemon and run it on your computer for free. The daemon will check your public IP and update the DDNS on a regular basis.

It's that "dynamic DNS" (IP Address) that I need to find out. It's easy to get it when I'm connected to the router, but when I'm away, it's impossible unless the computer notifies me. Hence my feature request.

All the services that provide dynamic name service charge for it. DYN is one example. They recently raised their annual fee to 55USD. Too much.

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
NO-IP is free. You just have to login once a month to verify you're still paying attention, but it's completely free.

Routers (Mikrotik, Asus, even Hikvision IP cameras, among others) along with noip.com provide you with a static URL (granted they are not pretty) and they constantly update it with your current public IP address provided by your ISP. I use them for getting back to my home network and never have to worry about my public IP address changing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-IP

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Grand and WeatherCat seekers of even temporary solutions to problems,

It's that "dynamic DNS" (IP Address) that I need to find out. It's easy to get it when I'm connected to the router, but when I'm away, it's impossible unless the computer notifies me. Hence my feature request.

You probably already knew about this but just in case.  There is a app that will email you your IP address when it changes: IPSentinel

http://www.limitpointstore.com/products/ipsentinel/

The fellow want $10 for this product - seems a bit inflated to me, but perhaps it would be worth it for WeatherCatters who are frequently on the go and want dependable access their weather stations from the iOS clients.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]