Author Topic: iPhone version 1.3 update  (Read 9430 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
iPhone version 1.3 update
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »
The iPhone version 1.3 update is available for download from the Apple App Store.
This update is free for WeatherCat for the iPhone purchasers.

The update includes the following:

The solar radiation and UV index now include a maximum value marker.
The wind direction now includes the cardinal direction in addition to the degrees (per Forum suggestion from jhoke.)
The app is localized for Italian (Thank you Federico) in addition to French and German.
There are fixes for minor bugs and some minor localization additions for French and German.
Updated for the larger screens of the iPhone 5, 6, and 6 Plus (per Forum suggestion from Blicjii).
And it was tested with WeatherCat 2.0 Beta and iOS 8.

Many thanks to the Beta Test group for their excellent suggestions and to the translators for their translations.

Beta Group:

elagache
Blicj11
Doc
toadstone

Translators:

wurzelmac (German)
meteoperugia (Italian)
Barzi (French)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: iPhone version 1.3 update
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:38 PM »
Another nice update, with some thoughtful additions and some minor tweaks.

Thanks for staying on top of this, Grand.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
Dear Grand, Blick, and WeatherCat iPhone fans,

Another nice update, with some thoughtful additions and some minor tweaks.

Thanks for staying on top of this, Grand.

ditto!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

atnbirdie

• Calm
    • DW8300
    • KMDMIDDL9
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 w/Envoy & Data Logger; TRENDnet TV-IP110W Camera; iMac OS 10.6.8; WC v1.0.2
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
v1.3 is no longer working for me.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled, but it never connects via local.  It does find the test sites, but not my local data.  I had the same problem with my iPad but since I got weathercatpad, that is working.

What might the problem be with v1.3 on iphone 5s (latest iOS installed) no connecting to local?
Steve

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Try restarting your iPhone, Steve. I had the same problem, uninstalled/reinstalled and that didn't help. Then figured since a reboot often solves big-Mac OS problems, I'd do a full iPhone shutdown followed by a restart. Worked like a champ...WeatherCat for the iPhone started working normally again. Worth a try. Beyond that, I have no other ideas.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Have to wait for Grand. (Re: iPhone version 1.3 update)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
Hi Steve and WeatherCat iOS fans,

What might the problem be with v1.3 on iphone 5s (latest iOS installed) no connecting to local?

You might need to get in touch directly with Grand on this question.  My iPhone 4 is too old for iOS 8, so I have no idea.  You may find that many WeatherCat types are also being a bit slow to upgrade as is the general trend.

On the other hand, . . . . I got a chance to see a friend's iPhone 6 and . . . . . Yup, that's mighty appealing!  I'm going to let the dust settle a little more and then - snag one for myself!  [bounce]

atnbirdie

• Calm
    • DW8300
    • KMDMIDDL9
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 w/Envoy & Data Logger; TRENDnet TV-IP110W Camera; iMac OS 10.6.8; WC v1.0.2
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »
Felix, a reset finally worked.  I'd done restarts (which didn't work) but for some reason never thought to take it to the next step of a reset (which did).
Thanks,
Steve

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »
I am having a similar problem. I can connect to the default test site, but cannot connect locally, and cannot connect to my IP address on the web. May be related to the update to iOS 8.1.2 on the iPhone 6. But can't be sure.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »
I am having a similar problem. I can connect to the default test site, but cannot connect locally, and cannot connect to my IP address on the web. May be related to the update to iOS 8.1.2 on the iPhone 6. But can't be sure.

Sounds to me like you do not have port forwarding setup on your router. If you do have the proper ports forwarded, turn your router off, wait about a minute and restart it. The iOS client requires those ports forwarded in order to find WeatherCat on your network. If you have never setup port forwarding you should also restart WeatherCat after you set up the ports. Port forwarding is covered in the Weathercat manual as well in the Wiki.
Blick

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »
Router is set up properly. Scratching my head because it was working before.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:23:59 AM »
Is the WeatherCat OS X client working properly?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Have you tried resetting your phone? (Re: iPhone version 1.3 update)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »
Dear ColdnFrosty, Blick, and WeatherCat iOS users,

Okay, I just double-checked.  WeatherCat for iPhone works just fine on my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.2.  However, I have had circumstances were I had to reset my phone to get things working again, including WeatherCat for iPhone.  iOS isn't like OS X.  It isn't nearly as bullet-proof.  So you might need to have something of an OS 9 mentality when it comes to your iOS device:  when in doubt, reboot!

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
I found out what was causing the problem, although not the source.  WeatherCat on the Mac was communicating fine with the Vantage Pro 2 and reporting to the Internet. However, when I pulled up the Preferences screen and attempted to look at settings, the Preferences screen was frozen. I needed to quit the app and restart. Once I did that, the WeatherCat iOS app started communicating.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
I found out what was causing the problem, although not the source.  WeatherCat on the Mac was communicating fine with the Vantage Pro 2 and reporting to the Internet. However, when I pulled up the Preferences screen and attempted to look at settings, the Preferences screen was frozen. I needed to quit the app and restart. Once I did that, the WeatherCat iOS app started communicating.

If you are referring to WeatherCat Preferences being frozen, you need to quit WeatherCat, delete the plist file, empty the trash, reboot WeatherCat and then go through Preferences and reset your settings. A frozen preferences window means that your plist file is corrupt and needs to be rebuilt.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 11:24:27 PM »
Troubleshooting Tip: if WeatherCat iOS is not communicating with the local host (WeatherCat Mac), try switching to the remote host (trixology-test.dyndns.org). If that works, try restarting WeatherCat Mac to see if that resolves the problem.

At least that's what I learned from this exchange.