Author Topic: Main Page to show timestamps  (Read 2733 times)

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
  • Station Details: Davis VP2; Imac; ElCapitan
Main Page to show timestamps
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
I posted a thread back in june:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2493.0

I happen to check back and realized I didn't post my "suggestion" here.

What I would like to see is on my mac monitor the ability not only to see live data (as wcat does) but the timestamps.  For me I like seeing/knowing when the highs and lows occurred.   

Not a programmer so going into the code (SQL or something else) is not feasible nor easy for me.

Once again I hate to compare Wcat to Weatherdisplay.   Attached is a screen shot from WD/Wcat.  While I admit that screen is crowded, the data does fit (with timestamps).  I like the graphs on the right but could live without them (as long as I can get them elsewhere which I believe Wcat does).

So my suggestion would be for the main Wcat page to show the timestamps on the main page real time.

Perhaps hiding the calendar and/or clock (or making those a pulldown) would help save room. Just thinking outloud

Doesn't hurt to ask....

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 with UV and Solar sensors. 2017 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Re: Main Page to show timestamps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
I too, would like to see the timestamps, if possible.

Also, I would like to be able to add other variables to Controller. Again, if possible.

Hugh

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:55:31 PM »
If you can create a simple spreadsheet (Numbers is probably installed on your Mac), you can duplicate it in a table in html and have it displaying 24/7/365 on your desktop. Just because it's "html" doesn't mean it must be on the "web". Any web browser will effortlessly display pretty mush any text file on your drive, be it html, text, pdf or even a jpeg, tif, png image. "html" is nothing more than a plain text file (just like you are using to write a post here) you can even create with TextEdit.app. My "home page" is exactly that; an html file on my hard drive. No web site needed. It's so easy, they teach kids in grade school to do it!  8) You really can do this! ThU5:-)

WC is already creating the data and the time stamps for you, at least for the Maximum/Minimum values for each day/week/month/year/millennium. The 'tags' are listed in the Manual. You will probably have to do without the calendar and clock, but you also already have that info on your Menu Bar, anyway. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »
If you can create a simple spreadsheet (Numbers is probably installed on your Mac), you can duplicate it in a table in html and have it displaying 24/7/365 on your desktop. Just because it's "html" doesn't mean it must be on the "web". Any web browser will effortlessly display pretty mush any text file on your drive, be it html, text, pdf or even a jpeg, tif, png image. "html" is nothing more than a plain text file (just like you are using to write a post here) you can even create with TextEdit.app. My "home page" is exactly that; an html file on my hard drive. No web site needed. It's so easy, they teach kids in grade school to do it!  8) You really can do this! ThU5:-)

WC is already creating the data and the time stamps for you, at least for the Maximum/Minimum values for each day/week/month/year/millennium. The 'tags' are listed in the Manual. You will probably have to do without the calendar and clock, but you also already have that info on your Menu Bar, anyway. ;)

Wait so are you saying the main "wcat" page is an HTML page and not an "app"   If so then that helps and answers questions. But without that knowledge I hope my request makes more sense now.  I assumed it was a stagnant app vs. HTML that can be configured.

I will check out the manual... Thanks

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
Btw I should add i'm not good with programming and only basic HTML knowledge

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »
are you saying the main "wcat" page is an HTML page and not an "app"
Two part question, two part answer:
    1. "wcat" is not an html page. That's the main reason that the developer would have to make changes in what it displays.
    2. "wcat" page is created and displayed by the app called WeatherCat. Which is why what is displayed is controlled by the developer.

The image you displayed in your first post is what you get with the "WeatherCat Controller" item in the WC->Tools menu. That is, again, created by the WC software and is controlled purely by the developer.

What I am referring to is a plain text file that you can create yourself with any Text editor Apple gives you one called "TextEdit" that should be in your Applications folder. Simply changing the file name's suffix from ".txt" to ".html" will automagically make it usable by a browser!

You simply use the appropriate WC "tags" listed in the Manual (Appendix 4) and a minimal amount of html tags. I suggested making a 'table' as that would be about the simplest way to display the data without any kind of 'formatting' needed.

You can then display the html file with any browser. The html file can be on your hard drive, just like any of your other files. You can actually open it by simply double-clicking it (assuming you changed the ".txt" to ".html" (or even ".htm").

If you can type, even with only two fingers, you can create a web page. ThU32:-)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
I should add i'm not good with programming and only basic HTML knowledge
That's further along than we all start! You don't need any "programming" knowledge and "basic" html is more than enough! :)

I'm willing to help, if you don't need immediate responses. And I really do type with not much more than two fingers! [blush] cmu:-)

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
Thanks.. :)

I guess I made the assumption it was configurable.

I haven't even installed it yet so i'm not close to trying that out

But may take you up on it :)

Thanks again

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »
After 52 years of marriage, I've learned that "assumptions" are dangerous! [rockon] [lol]

DeputyDawg

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW3112
    • KGAATLAN16
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
Gotcha

Appreciate the replies....

That's why I'm posting here to let the developers know of a possible user improvement request

No harm asking :)