Author Topic: Difference between various wind variables  (Read 2413 times)

staze

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9669
    • KORSPRIN10
    • Everybody Staze...
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD, Mac Mini Server (2018)
Difference between various wind variables
« on: March 01, 2019, 04:41:24 AM »
Hi All,

Question for everyone.

What's the difference between (these are custom cgi variables):

windgustmph and windgustmph_10m, and likewise windgustdir and windgustdir_10m?

Like, is windgustmph the instantaneous wind speed when the measurement is taken? And if so, does that mean windspeed is an something else?

Same obviously applies for the second set of variables.

Just trying to understand why windgustmph wouldn't always been the same as windgustmph_10 (assuming they're both the top windgust speed in the last 10 mins)... but they don't seem to be from my data. So, how are they calculated?!

Thanks!
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I couldn't find it. (Re: Difference between various wind variables)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:40:14 PM »
Dear Staze and curious WeatherCat users,

. . . 
What's the difference between (these are custom cgi variables):

windgustmph and windgustmph_10m, and likewise windgustdir and windgustdir_10m?
. . . .

I didn't have a lot of time to search, but I came up empty on this one.  It might have something to do with how some of the templates that support WeatherCat works.  Anybody else got a clue? . . . 

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Difference between various wind variables
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
I don't know either. The only place windgustmph_10m is mentioned in the documentation is on page 135 and it is only there on a screenshot, associated with Custom CGI. I haven't noticed it before staze raised the issue.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
Hello, I did a search in the whole forum looking for 'windgustmph_10' and found 4 threads. In there all I can see is that tag is used for uploading to Wunderground. As for example:
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2754.msg26909#msg26909

Cheers,
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »
Hahaha. Of course you found a thread involving me. Well done, sir; I think you have discovered something here, Reinhard. It looks to me like one tag is for WU only and the other tag is for everything else. Doesn't explain why they are different, but I presume that WU requires the wind gust data to be in a slightly different format as they are measured slightly differently.
Blick

staze

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9669
    • KORSPRIN10
    • Everybody Staze...
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD, Mac Mini Server (2018)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
Thanks all. For whatever reason I haven't been getting notified of responses (apparently I wasn't subscribed to thread. doh!).

Stu, do you have any insight into the difference? I'm trying to migrate routine updates to my Meteobridge (custom cgi in this case).

Thanks!
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"