Author Topic: Weather Underground "Goldstar" Stations  (Read 29123 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Weather Underground "Goldstar" Stations
« on: August 12, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »
A couple days ago, Weather Underground started posting little gold medals beside the station names of those who've passed WU's "quality control process for five consecutive days."

However, I haven't found anything on the website which explains this QC process. Anyone else?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Weather Underground "Goldstar" Stations
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Hey, I too have a gold star.

There are 7 stations reporting to WU in my remote area of the mountain, many of which are using Netatmo stations. Only three of us have the Goldstar icon, none of which are using Netatmo hardware.

This is the only thing that WU has on its website about quality control ==> http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/129122-are-personal-weather-stations-on-weather-undergrou

I also found this thread about WU's Goldstar stations on the WX Forum. They don't know anything more about it than we do, but that does not keep them from having opinions about it.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30096.0

Side note: Whilst I was looking for something about the new Goldstar program, I found this paragraph about removing bad data on your WU site. I didn't know you could do this so I gave it a try with some errant precipitation data I generated yesterday whilst cleaning my tipping bucket. It will let you remove bad data, but not edit (or replace) with correct data. ==> http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/656806-how-can-i-remove-bad-data-on-my-station-history
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
Where do you see that icon? [rolleyes2] Thought it might have something to do with paid membership only to discover that I seem to have done that! [banghead] I gotta leave in a few minutes but I'll see if there is anything in their blog when I return. In the mean time, Congratulations"! [tup]

Blick was posting while I was typing (with two fingers!). At any rate, he mentioned a "gold star". Felix uses the term "gold medals". Are we talking about the same thing? A "gold star" is simp-ly indicating a station has been added to your "favorites" list. The mystery deepens? :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »
Where do you see that icon? [rolleyes2] Thought it might have something to do with paid membership only to discover that I seem to have done that! [banghead]

Just preceding your station name at the top of the screen. I am not a paid member, but am one of those who upload data in return for no ads.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »
Thanks, I went to your WU page and see the 'medallion'.

As I don't remember paying anything to WU, perhaps it shows me as "paid" just because I upload. Who knows?!

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
I found my gold star, but now I wonder why the circles for some stations on the map are a solid line and some are a dashed line. It does not seem to be related to gold star status. Anyone know the difference between solid and dashed circles?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
More questions?! [rolleyes2]

Not to be impertinent, but don't you need to find something to keep you busy instead of asking so many questions?! :P

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 08:44:43 PM »
About Goldstar Stations:This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days

mine is one [cheer] [rock]

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »
Grand:

I took a look at your site. Very fun.

I did notice that all of the links to news stories in The Union are bad. The only headline I could find there was "Tri Counties Bank in Nevada City Robbed." Hope you were not on either end of that transaction.

I just looked up 20 WU stations and none of them had solid circles. I don't know what the difference is.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 03:19:14 AM »
Perhaps they are not sending data 24/7? Or missing important to WU data points? I don't have any idea, I don't even have a 'medallion'! [blush] :'(

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
According to a paper from AMS (American Meteorological Society), it's:
  • Range checks
  • Stuck Sensor
  • Neighbourhood cluster comparison.
(https://ams.confex.com/ams/GroundUp/recordingredirect.cgi/id/33229)

I don't even have a 'medallion'! [blush] :'(

Yeah you do :) (or at least you had one when I checked about 30 seconds ago)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 04:12:52 PM »
According to a paper from AMS (American Meteorological Society), it's:
  • Range checks
  • Stuck Sensor
  • Neighbourhood cluster comparison.
(https://ams.confex.com/ams/GroundUp/recordingredirect.cgi/id/33229)

Thanks for finding this; it is very interesting.

I don't even have a 'medallion'! [blush] :'(

Yeah you do :) (or at least you had one when I checked about 30 seconds ago)

Eight hours later I confirm they haven't taken it away from you, although past performance is no guarantee of future quality.  :)
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
past performance is no guarantee of future quality.
I think that should be my new 'sig'. [blush] [rolleyes2]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Gold Stars
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
Wait, so none of ya'll have a "Three Star Platinum Medallion" award like I do?
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 08:29:29 AM »
Nah. They're only handing those out to pilots who live in Texas.
Blick