Author Topic: Story Of Isaac (Leonard Cohen) or Migration Troubles  (Read 3894 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Story Of Isaac (Leonard Cohen) or Migration Troubles
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
Migration MacBook 13'' Mid 2009 2,13 GHz Intel Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM to a Mac mini mid 2011 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB of RAM (both machines buyed in the Apple Refurb Store).

I do have an external HD on wich I did my Time Machine backups ever since I used the MacBook with WeatherCat. So I just had to start the Mac mini with this HD plugged into it (with FireWire 800) and the Assistant does the rest. It may be useful to start a manual Time Machine backup on the source machine, so you will have absolut up-to-date data (missing only the time it needs to run the Assistant, depending on the connection speed between the backup HD and the new machine ? on my side less than half an hour).

After migration completed I disconnected and removed the (old) MacBook and replaced it with the (new) Mac mini. Connected the Station (it is a LaCrosse WS2300 ? will be replaced by a Vantag Pro2 Plus) and the weather cam (USB Logitech Vision Pro Mac). Now the great moment: Will the new machine recognize the weather station and will it go on as ?ever??  IT DOES!!! The whole procedure of migrating and cable fiddling, disconnecting, connectin, ... lasts maybe one and a half hour. This leak (the one and half hour of missing data) was successfully recognized by WeatherCat and cleaned by a forced download of historical data from the LaCrosse. And ? voil? ? all Systems running as if nothing had happened.

But ? AAHHHH ? no uploads of weather data. A look into the Log shows me that ?The password is blank?. So I went to the preferences, typed in the password, hit the button ?Test? and got the message, that a testfile was uploaded correctly. Closed this one ? and the password has gone! Opening this pref shows me a blank password again and again. :(

What the hell... ok, repaired permissions ? no luck. Restarted the machine ? no luck. Hey, the Mac mini runs on OS X 8.0, lets try an update to the latest OS. Started AppStore ? the next shock: Connection not possible. Please establish an Internet Connection. ARRGHH ? I do have an internet connection and can surf into the iTunes Store, into the Web, into likely everywhere, but NOT into AppStore. Shit. Ok, downloading the latest combined update via support.apple.com. Installed, restart the Mac mini, launching WeatherCat, and: It asks me wether it can use confidential info or not. What a question?!? Yes indeed, PLEASE, use it, allow always, and the next wonder happens: it accepted and stored the info. JUHUU! (Timeline: 2 and a half hours from beginning migration.)

The only thing I am missing is the connection to the AppStore: Connection not possible. Please establish an Internet Connection. To clean this one, Google was my friend: http://b.rthr.me/wp/?p=356 After doing what was told herein, the migration comes to the end. As far as I can say now, all is as it should. (Timeline: after approximately 4 hours ALL SYSTEMS GO ? hopefully. ;) )

The next thrill is the replacement of the LaCrosse to the Davis ? if it arrives (hopefully the next week). I will report about!

Attached two pictures: One shows the new WeatherCatWorkstation and the other shows the whole cluttered scene...

Cheers,
Reinhard

Reinhard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Story Of Isaac (Leonard Cohen) or Migration Troubles
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
Hi Reinhart
 Glad to here you got it changed over hope all is well
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sadly, par for the course. (Re: Migration Troubles)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
Hi Reinhard, Randall, and WeatherCat fans,

Hate to say it, but I think your migration was typical.  It is supposed to be smooth, but the only computers that are guaranteed to migrate smoothly have exactly one thing on them: OS-X (and nothing else!!)

Glad you are back up and running.  However, it should be a lesson to all of us, if you need to migrate from one machine to another, give yourself plenty of time (and maybe a valium!!  ;D )

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
No more troubles at all!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
To bring this thread to an end: The Mac mini works now "8 Days A Week" (wasn't it The Beatles?  ;) )  without any problems. All as it should.

Today the Vantage Pro2 plus arrived - yeah! Not much to tell: Built it all together and mounted it on a previously arranged place (a nearly 4 meter high steel pipe). No problems so far. The thrilling part was the moment, what WeatherCat would say to my new station: First I downloaded the latest SiLabs Driver and installed it to the Mac mini. After installation I was forced to restart the mini, so I did. During restart I disconnected the LaCrosse and connected the Vantage instead. A few seconds after the mini was ready for operation, I launched WeatherCat. It gave me the option to choose the new station, it was recognized at once. The reminder that told me from my new hardware appears - that was it! Sensational - less than 5 minutes for the whole procedure to change the station in WeatherCat.

Cheers!
Reinhard

Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome to the Davis club Reinhard! (Re: No more troubles at all!)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:48:22 PM »
Hi Reinhard and WeatherCat Davis owners,

Congratulations on the upgrade!  [tup]

The thrilling part was the moment, what WeatherCat would say to my new station:

. . . . . .

A few seconds after the mini was ready for operation, I launched WeatherCat. It gave me the option to choose the new station, it was recognized at once. The reminder that told me from my new hardware appears - that was it! Sensational - less than 5 minutes for the whole procedure to change the station in WeatherCat.

Glad everything went so smoothly!  [bounce]

I think you'll be very happy with your new Davis setup!  [spin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:58 AM »
Very nice setup, Reinhard! Not a bad view, either.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
Very nice Reinhard ! like the set-up and the view is very nice too [snow]

JC