Author Topic: HTML Editors with Steel Gauges  (Read 4600 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
HTML Editors with Steel Gauges
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
I recently had an interesting experience with editing an htm file. I used Amaya 11.4.7 (the latest release) to open the gauges-ss-basic.htm file to edit one line I have at the bottom to copyright the weather data for my Steel Gauges display. All I did was change 2013 to read 2014. The next day I noticed that none of my Steel Gauges temperature displays were correct (external, internal, apparent, wind chill, heat index, etc.). And there was an errant ? character on my gauge displays. I restored the backup copy of the old gauges-ss-basic.htm file and everything was back to normal. I have used Amaya before without any problems but this was too buggy for my taste. I downloaded a copy of Brackets, edited the file with it, FTP'd the file up to the website and it works. I know you get what you pay for, but I am still too cheap to pay for an html editor.

What is your favourite free HTML editor? 
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: HTML Editors with Steel Gauges
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
Hi Blick,

well I use TextWrangler for coding. The whole weather-site has been coded with this text editor. I am looking for a WYSIWYG editor but yet not found the one that suits to me.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
Hi WC gang
 i use SeaMonkey to do all my editing with, thats what I built my web site with or KompoZer both are very easy to use

cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I mix it up! (Re: HTML Editors with Steel Gauges)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
Dear Blick, Reinhard, Randall, and WeatherCat web tinkerers,

What is your favourite free HTML editor?

Actually I have both SeaMonkey (and others) and Text Wrangler on my Mac.

I've been sticking to SeaMonkey for my WYSIWYG sort of stuff, but mostly because I've never had the time to learn any of the others.

It is worth having Text Wrangler on your machine because it is very slick and powerful.  Also, you can be sure it is editing plain text.  However, it is overkill.  Honestly, I often just fire up TextExit and force into plain text mode.  When you are editing plain text, often you only need the most basic of editing capabilities.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
I use PageSpinner for all of my web pages, and Text Wrangler for all other text editing (including simple changes to HTML such as you just made.)

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »
Hello Steve,
I used PageSpinner in the early Mac OS years (Maybe OS 8.5 or OS 9) - didn't know that it is still available for OS X! I went to their website but it seems to me that it is not developed any more, version 5.2 is there since long before 2010? Is it HTML5 and CSS3 ready? I am toying with Coda2, but for my needs TextWrangler does it for free...
Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
Reinhard,

Yep, PageSpinner is overdue for an update, but I know my way around, so still use it instead of learning something new. I've used it since Adobe dropped PageMill. Actually, before that, because PageMill 2 in 1997 added so much non-standard HTML to a page that I couldn't get anything to pass WC3 checks, and relied too heavily on blank graphic images and tables.

Checking my original $25 email receipt, I bought PageSpinner in 1998. That would have been on OS 8.1 or earlier, as I still had my 68LC040 Performa LC 475 (aka Quadra 605) then. :)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't support HTML5 or CSS3, but I barely know CSS and my HTML knowledge reached a comfortable basic level long ago, and I've never tried incorporating any new tools. I know CSS helps a ton, and have fiddled with modifying various templates. Buy I haven't learned how to use it.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
...so still use it instead of learning something new...
Just like me and my TextWrangler - won't go the step towards to Coda. As long as I can do all with the used tools, I won't learn new ones...  :-[ ::) :)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard