Author Topic: FTP vs Aux. FTP - Console logs  (Read 4244 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FTP vs Aux. FTP - Console logs
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
Alan is correct, your Main processes all of of your files in the directory. You cannot use the Aux file setup to "slow down" anything that is in the Main.  Use Aux only for the purpose of processing those files than need to be uploaded more frequently than the setting in the Main and for those files you are uploading from a separate directory than the Main.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 04:35:41 PM »
Thanks! That makes sense! I'm sure I was confusing everyone with my stupidity! (That happens quite often!) I thought the "Additional Files" were supposed to be in the HTML Source path! [banghead] I like to keep things as complicated as possible... [blush] [rolleyes2]

The "2 minute Upload Web Pages Every:" setting in the "Main" Custom Web prefs takes care of any files in the "HTML Source" directory. Period. "Additional Files" are only for Additional Files (not in the source path)! What a concept! [cheer]

The HTML Source path remains the same, but I moved the movie upload file out of there. Deleted all the "Additional Files" except the movie upload file and changed the path to it.

Thanks again, Alan and Blick! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
You cannot use the Aux file setup to "slow down" anything that is in the Main.  Use Aux only for the purpose of processing those files than need to be uploaded more frequently than the setting in the Main and for those files you are uploading from a separate directory than the Main.
The key word there is "use". I was not understanding how anything was "using" Aux, much less why. I was not understanding that I had any control/influence in causing/using the "Aux." method. That was my original request for what the difference is and what it was for. Sorry I didn't word that request properly. I now "see the light"! 8)

awilltx

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »
I hope you enjoy your newly found bandwidth!

Alan

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
Yes, generally you want everything processed by the normal custom web processing - only use the additional files for time sensitive stuff - current data/daily high/lows for gauges for example or parts of your site you want updated more frequently than the normal uploads.

Additional files are FTP'd via the aux FTP queue (which is an additional FTP path to your site running in parallel to the main queue), so aux. uploads won't be held up by any large uploads going up from the main custom web processing (a movie upload for example can take some time).

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 12:18:05 AM »
...only use the additional files for time sensitive stuff - current data/daily high/lows for gauges for example or parts of your site you want updated more frequently than the normal uploads.
OK, it seems I'm still learning! Although I knew/know that the movie is not uploaded until it is ready, it still left it in the "Additional Files" list unnecessarily. I wonder, however, if that list could also be used for pages that need updating on less than the normal (2 minutes, in my case) time frame. That was my initial reason for leaving the movie file in the "List". I now see that this is pointless, in that case, of course. [banghead]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
I think I have the Aux. FTP usage down to the minimum... almost. Seems to be used only twice an hour. I think I can get that down to zero, however.

I have searched the Manual, without success, to find an explanation of when WC uploads the DailyMovie. Searching the forums discloses that WC is 'smart' enough to only upload the movies just after it is created, once an hour. I think have confirmed my theory that I do not need to have the MOVIE$ tag in the Additional Files list. WC will not [banghead] upload the large DailyMovie file even if that tag is in a file that gets processed every two minutes (my 'normal' data update interval). The uploading process will be rather busy just after the new hour when every single tag will be getting processed and all the WC generated images get created and uploaded. Thankfully, 'threading' (and Stu's knowledge!) takes care of this massive input.

I would appreciate being pointed to a page in the Manual where this 'once-an-hour' rule is discussed/explained. I'm probably using the wrong search terms(s) to find it. I have found several posts by him that make the 'once-an-hour' statement, however.
I shall now remove the "upload-movie.txt" file from the Additional Files list. I'll add the MOVIE$ tag to one of the few files that actually need updating every few minutes. Lastly, I will stop 'bugging' everyone about my slowness in understanding the basics of this great app! (I had to be careful not to make a Freudian slip and call myself a "great ape"!). [blush]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »
Just checked it, it isn't in the manual. But it's an implementation detail - it would be more accurate to say that the movie will be uploaded the next time the MOVIE$ tag is processed once the movie is complete; currently they are hourly and finish at the top of the hour, so it'll be uploaded on the first custom web run after the hour.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
more accurate to say that the movie will be uploaded the next time the MOVIE$ tag is processed once the movie is complete
Yeah. But it's starting to sound like legalese! :P Maybe when you have time to edit the Manual. I'm sure that is one of your favorite tasks! [lol2] Obviously, everyone else understood the process, so I'd say just forget the 'edit'. I've confirmed the 'intelligence' of WC, with your expert tutelage; it operates exactly as you say. [cheer] I just stuck the MOVIE$ tag in a file that gets processed every two minutes, but the movie actually only uploads once an hour. Have had no "Aux. FTP" traffic after making that change. [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]

BTW, have had no more "FATAL ERROR" messages from Apple since correcting my Custom Graph setup erer some weeks ago. [blush]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:28:17 PM by xairbusdriver »