Author Topic: Setting up email notifications  (Read 1739 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Setting up email notifications
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »
If there is anything worse than setting up email accounts, I don't know what it might be. [banghead] When I get one setup working, I take screen shots of every dialog I can find and store them in the National Archives!!

With trepidation and too ittle coffee, I decided to tackle this in WC today... off and on all day...

First, I discovered I had never setup anything on the mini except my iCloud/Apple account. Completed that a few minutes ago. "Completed" in that I can receive and send messages from the mini and get them in all my other hardware. However, WC has never been able to successfully complete the "Test Now" function in the Email prefs.

I have now deleted the only non-Apple account, but there is no change in the testing by WC. I have an update to Yosemite that requires a Restart, so I'm going to quit WC. Back later...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Setting up email notifications
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »
Page 191 in the manual provides WC settings for common email providers.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »
My copy has them on p192, but I've already tried all those plus the meager (and out-of-date) info at the ISP (Comcast). Also sent a note about the suggested port on the #1 settings. Most mail servers have abandoned port 25 years ago for security reasons.

My current settings in Mail still use the ISP for the out-going server, even if I'm sending with my MobileMe/dor mac/iCloud address.

I've dabbled in PHP, C++, etc. using xCode and BBEdit. Started back with AppleSoft Basic and created/sold a program (didn't call them "apps" back then!) with that. Created a relational database with FileMaker Pro. Lately it's been most minimal "programming" with HTML and CSS3. I'm really not too stupid (unless you ask my wife [blush]), but setting up email in Mail is always too complicated. Maybe because I tend to over-think it. Frankly, I think it's because Apple assumes too much and automatically inserts info which may not be appropriate for all ISPs.

Reminds me, I need to investigate the broken PHP 'contact' scripts in my website on mail scams... I think all the files didn't make the transition from one hosting server to another. [banghead]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »
OK, after a couple of emails back and forth with "Trixology Support", Email is working! I finally gave up on Apple and went with my ISP. I really think they don't like us to use other email servers without going through their own, first. Helps cut down on SPAM. Your ISP may not work this way, of course. Or I could be completely wrong! All I know is that it's working now! [cheer]

Even got a report of a "new low temp record" for my station! Don't worry, it's not the end of Climate Heating! The "low temp" is 46.4?F! :D  Since my station has barely been running for 48 hours, it doesn't take much to 'set new records'!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:56:09 PM by xairbusdriver »