Author Topic: Mojave Monday  (Read 6177 times)

grenow

• Gentle Breeze
    • INORTHCA5
    • Limestone Hills
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with soil moisture - iMac/iPhone/iPad
Mojave Monday
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:27:42 AM »
I'm led to believe that the latest update to Mac OS - 10.14, or Mojave - will be released on Monday. I know a few people have been running WC on the public beta: anything I should note before clicking install on the new OS? Will there be a "dark mode" update for WC, or a fix for the OS bug that's been causing a few us a WC hang/stalled relaunch issue?

[Can't resist the bleeding edge...]
"The countryside is a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander about uncooked." (Gladys Mitchell)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Mojave Monday
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »
I've never tried the so-called "dark mode" on Mojave since it was never needed on my test machine but the shipping version of WC has been working OK on the last several updates Apple has pushed out.

Currently 10.14 beta 11, Build 18A389.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »
Yes you can! ;D
We're here to help! [cheer]
Don't try to cure yourself alone!
:-*

www.upgradersanonymous.org/patience
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Felix:
If your test machine has a fusion drive
      If you switched to APFS
            If you had any issues with that
                  What were the issues
            Else never mind
      Else never mind
Else never mind
End

Thanks
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
I think that's See-- code? [lol]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:39 PM »
Nope, no Fusion Drive, Blick. 27-inch iMac, straight SSD, APFS from day one, quad-core i7. A look back through the developer threads will show this particular configuration never experienced any of the WC hangs which necessitated Stu?s ingenious work-around.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Plan-B strongly recommended (Re: Mojave Monday)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »
Dear grenow, Felix, X-Air, Blick and WeatherCat "addicts," . . .

I'm led to believe that the latest update to Mac OS - 10.14, or Mojave - will be released on Monday. I know a few people have been running WC on the public beta: anything I should note before clicking install on the new OS? Will there be a "dark mode" update for WC, or a fix for the OS bug that's been causing a few us a WC hang/stalled relaunch issue?

As noted elsewhere . . . .

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2826.0

Stu is extremely busy these days so patches for Mojave will most likely slower than we are used to.

If you insist on giving in to da' temptation, I strongly urge that you have a Plan-B already in mind.  It is possible to roll-back an OS upgrade, but it certainly ain't easy . . .

Remember . . . . .

Edouard

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:04 PM »
I?m running WC 3.1 on Mojave 10.14 beta11 too, with a MacBook Pro (mid)2012 i7 quad and 16gb ram.
Now if you upgrade DON?T panic, it takes a lot long for it to launch. Then that?s when I panicked because on my mac the collecting historic data bar doesn?t move. It pops up and just sits there. I was just about to have a hissy fit for updating then all of a sudden BANG! All of my data came through. It also takes twice as long as normal to collect it.

It also doesn?t go from empty to full, it stays completely blank the entire time. Mojave is excellent too, I?d been embracing any app or website now for years that has a dark mode option. So for me to get an entire os that does it is great because I have really bad eyes that are sensitive to bright white screens, I love it!

So FYI just be patient when WC is firing up on Mojave. Then if you get a blank downloading bar it?s fine. For some reason it also takes three times longer to collect your data than it does on High Sierra. Just be patient and don?t shut WC down! 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:13:20 AM »
Thanks for the report. I've been fooled by that non-moving upload bar on previous occasions.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 04:45:13 AM »
it took about 2 hours for the install after the download.  I am guessing a lot of folks downloading.  I did mine soon after it was released.   With me,  I have a fusion drive and 32G ram.  So converting the file system probably was part of that 2 hours.

I had no problems launching my apps, although some which are 32 , received a notice that the manufacture needed to upgrade to 64 bit.  Eh...

With each Beta, I would assume a lot to a little change and the load time is compromised.

With Weathercat, the initial start up took a while, but subsequent startups  went fast.

I do like the dark screen easier on my eyes to a point.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
Update incoming - there are two issue on 10.14:
1. No progress bar on historical download (the download works fine, just no feedback to the user).
2. Depending on your display, the application icon may appear corrupt in the About box and dock.

Fixes at:
https://trixology-eng.com/resources/downloads/WeatherCat302B27.zip

Probably to be released this weekend.

Cheers,
Stu.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
some which are 32 , received a notice that the manufacture needed to upgrade to 64 bit.  Eh...
Apple has been telling developers for several years that it is moving to 64bits ONLY. Last I heard/read, Mojave macOS 10.14 is the last one that will even run 32bit apps. Many devs are not as proactive as Stu and will wait until the absolute last minute to make sure their apps will work. Frankly, I think it is developers like Stu that actually keep Apple on their toes! I'll be looking for a WC update soon, even though I won't be running Mojave for several more weeks.
[runoff] "Just because I'm paranoid
doesn't mean there aren't
people after me!
"

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu - pace yourself!! (Re: Mojave Monday)
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 10:58:16 PM »
Dear Stu and WeatherCat overworked types,

Update incoming - there are two issue on 10.14:

. . . .

Probably to be released this weekend.

Thanks Stu for finding the time to take care of WeatherCat  [WCSmall] when you have so many things on your plate!

Do the best you can to pace yourself!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

MrDave

• Calm
    • KPAKENNE10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, WeatherLinkIP, Mac
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
I have switched to Mojave and WeatherCat seems to be working fine.  I am using the Dark Mode, with the dark dock background the wily black cat in the icon disappears, for obvious reasons.  The umbrella is still visible.  Are there any alternate icons I can try?

Thank you,
MrDave

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »
I'm using a mid-2011 Mac mini with Mojave 10.14.1 and WC 3.03. No problems at all.