Author Topic: Station Highest Wind Speed & Gust  (Read 2572 times)

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
Station Highest Wind Speed & Gust
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
I am always watching my station for new extremes. My highest station wind speed and gust occurred just over a year ago, June 15, 2011, during a severe thunderstorm. Anemometer recorded a wind speed of 51 mph (82 kph) and a gust of 52 mph (83 kph). I was able to confirm the legitimacy of the reading from the nearby NWS station which showed slightly higher speeds at the same time. This is the only time in my station's history that the wind speed nudge  above 50 mph.
The same storm also broke loose the transmitter box of the anemometer. It flipped upside down and got wet. The rain shorted something inside causing the station to register 97 mpg gust. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to remove that bogus reading from the WU site.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Re: Station Highest Wind Speed & Gust
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
Hi LesCimes and WeatherCat record setters,

My anemometer is just a few feet off the roof-line, so it will never record anything very extreme.  However, when the winds are strong there - it means trouble.  My record high wind gust was:

Highest recorded wind speed: 30.0 MPH on 19-Jan-2010

That was the day the house was struck by lightening and we lost a two computers, a stereo, DVD player, and power to about 1/3 of the house.  :o

So I've had my fill of those kind of records!!  >:(

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: Station Highest Wind Speed & Gust
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:44:43 AM »
My max wind speed occurred last November at 67 MPH- a record I hope not to break.  So of the mountain passes and peaks record over 100 mph wind gusts during the same time.  We have been on several mountain hikes and there are a lot of down trees from the wind storm.  The wind messed up my satellite TV and rotate my wind mast.