Author Topic: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928) for iOS Beta  (Read 9687 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928) for iOS Beta
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »
What's new in WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928) for iOS Beta

Update with iOS 12 and watchOS 5 libraries (Xcode 10.0).
Fixed a bug that may cause a crash the first time you attempt to connect to Local and it does not connect.
Update app icon for the 44mm Apple Watch Series 4.
Adjust the Options view so that the switch description can be seen on an iPhone SE and iPhone 5.
Adjust navigation bar buttons to display the longer German localized title.
Change the "Not a WeatherCat RCP server" message to the more accurate "Unable to verify server" message.

Tip

If you get the message "Unable to verify server", you should try again by doing the following:
Go to WeatherCatRCP Settings, tap Manage WeatherCat Servers, tap the radio button for the desired server.
Tapping any server radio buttons that's already selected will re-connect you to the server.

Notes to Beta Testers

All reports should be posted to the Forum in the WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928) for iOS Beta topic.

Everyone is welcome to test this beta release. See the iOS Clients topic "About the WeatherCatRCP Beta" for information on joining the Beta test group and using TestFlight.

PaSun

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
Re: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928) for iOS Beta
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 01:09:24 AM »
Hello Grand,

I installed WC RCP 1.1 Beta on my iPhone X running IOS 12.0 and found no issues at all.
That said, my Apple Watch (original version) now 3 ? years old, running Watch version 4.3.2 displays a blank screen after opening RCP. Note: on opening RCP, the RCP icon is displayed with the circling dots while loading, but then displays a totally black screen then the time in the upper right corner.

Hopefully, I'll have a new watch by the holidays, but I'm not so sure about a phone upgrade.

Cheers,
Paul

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »
Grand:

A little progress, but alas, the same report as Paul regarding the display.

Last night at 20:30 local time, I traded in my Series 2 watch (Apple gave me US$115 for it, and it had some pretty good scratches in the glass) and came away with a Series 4 44mm, which I love and the extra screen real estate is incredible. So I am running watchOS 5.0.1 on a Series 4. You are once again proclaimed to be a trusted developer (Congratulations), so I am able to install RCP on the watch. On opening it displays the RCP icon with the dots whilst it loads. But after only 1 second, it reverts to a black screen displaying the time. I uninstalled and reinstalled. No change. See screenshot.

Compared to other screens that display the time, this one ranks near the bottom (sorry). See second screen shot.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »
Hello Grand,

I installed WC RCP 1.1 Beta on my iPhone X running IOS 12.0 and found no issues at all.
That said, my Apple Watch (original version) now 3 ? years old, running Watch version 4.3.2 displays a blank screen after opening RCP. Note: on opening RCP, the RCP icon is displayed with the circling dots while loading, but then displays a totally black screen then the time in the upper right corner.

Hopefully, I'll have a new watch by the holidays, but I'm not so sure about a phone upgrade.

Cheers,
Paul

If you see the blank screen after opening RCP on your Apple Watch, open WeatherCatRCP Settings on your iPhone and tap the Apple Watch screen. This should bring up the WeatherCatRCP screen on your Apple Watch.

I hope that doesn't spoil a good excuse to get an Apple Watch  :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Up and runnin' . . . . (Re: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928))
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 11:33:57 PM »
Dear Grand, Paul, Blick, and WeatherCat iOS early adopters,

Okay, after some haggling, this version is installed on my iPhone 6.  I did the quick tour and everything appears to be in good order.

I may be an early adopter, but I do have limits!  I'm still running iOS 11.4.1 and expect to stay here for a prudent period before risking that upgrade!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

PaSun

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 02:04:01 AM »
Grand,

If you see the blank screen after opening RCP on your Apple Watch, open WeatherCatRCP Settings on your iPhone and tap the Apple Watch screen. This should bring up the WeatherCatRCP screen on your Apple Watch.

I hope that doesn't spoil a good excuse to get an Apple Watch  :)

OK, your special enchantment worked. RCP is now displaying properly on my poor old Watch. I'll probably have to convince the family that they should be notified if I fall down. Maybe they'll even chip in. [roll] [roll] [roll]

Cheers,
Paul

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »

Your magical formula works! I take it all back; RCP blazing away on my new Apple Watch. See attached.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
Re: Up and runnin' . . . . (Re: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928))
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »
Dear Grand, Paul, Blick, and WeatherCat iOS early adopters,

Okay, after some haggling, this version is installed on my iPhone 6.  I did the quick tour and everything appears to be in good order.

I may be an early adopter, but I do have limits!  I'm still running iOS 11.4.1 and expect to stay here for a prudent period before risking that upgrade!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

I promise you that the update to the newest iOS libraries in WeatherCatRCP will not harm your iPhone 6. On the other hand, if you have any issues with WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180928), I will blame it on the new iOS libraries.  :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »
Grand:

I haven't been able to get any data on RCP 1.1 for a couple of days now. It is "Unable to Verify Server." I can connect to Trixology-eng.com but not to my Local network, nor to my external IP address. I have tried restarting WC 3.0.3 Build 8, deleting the RCP 1.1 app and reinstalling it from TestFlight, and restarting my iPhone. I verified that port 49255 is still mapped to my iMac that is running WeatherCat.

What should I try next?
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
Grand:

I haven't been able to get any data on RCP 1.1 for a couple of days now. It is "Unable to Verify Server." I can connect to Trixology-eng.com but not to my Local network, nor to my external IP address. I have tried restarting WC 3.0.3 Build 8, deleting the RCP 1.1 app and reinstalling it from TestFlight, and restarting my iPhone. I verified that port 49255 is still mapped to my iMac that is running WeatherCat.

What should I try next?

Normally I can connect to Creekside using your external IP address, but this time I cannot. Are you sure your server is on-line?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
Grand:

I restarted my iMac again and and just like magic, the RCP app on my phone started working. And now I have RCP running properly on both iOS 12.1 and watchOS 5.1.1.

Tip o' the hat to you, sir.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 09:06:41 AM »
Grand:

All of a sudden, in the RCP app on my phone, one of my reports, which has 68 tags, will only refresh the first 15 tags. I have tried killing the app, rebooting by phone, and making some editing change to the report.

The report is slightly different on my iPad, and there, it will only update the first 13 of 63 tags.

In the Tags tab, it will update 72 of the 107 tags.

Running iOS 12.1 on both devices.

Any suggestions?
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
Grand:

All of a sudden, in the RCP app on my phone, one of my reports, which has 68 tags, will only refresh the first 15 tags. I have tried killing the app, rebooting by phone, and making some editing change to the report.

The report is slightly different on my iPad, and there, it will only update the first 13 of 63 tags.

In the Tags tab, it will update 72 of the 107 tags.

Running iOS 12.1 on both devices.

Any suggestions?

Blick, you do come up with the good ones. Can you post or send me a copy of your report with tags (not refreshed with data.) I believe you already know how to access the tagged report using iTunes File Sharing, but here are the instructions to help refresh your memory:

Do the following steps to save and edit your WeatherCatRCP reports:

1. Cable the iPhone to iTunes.
2. Click on the iPhone icon in iTunes after the device connects.
3. Click on File Sharing.
4. Scroll down File Sharing Apps and select WeatherCat RCP.
5. All four of your reports will be displayed as Report_R1.txt thru Report_R4.txt.
6. Click on a report and then the Save To... button to save the report to the folder of your choice.
7. Use a text editor to edit the report and save it.
8. In iTunes click on the Add... button to replace the report in the Phone app with the one you edited.

Send me the report you saved in step (6).

Also do the following: go to the Tags tab (or it may be in the More table) in WeatherCatRCP and tap the Refresh button at the top right. Are all the tags populated with data?

--grand

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »
Blick, you do come up with the good ones.

Hahaha. Sorry about that.

1. In the More section, not all tags are populated with data. Only 72 out of 107 tags are populated.
2. Report is attached.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:43 PM »
Blick, the mystery thickens.
Your Report 4 works perfectly and all Tag items are populated when I connect to Tanyard Springs.
--grand