Author Topic: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2017-18  (Read 17372 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dramatic greys . . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Alas, the sun is "waking up" before I do so the best photo opportunities will have to wait for another year.  Still the sky this morning was interesting enough to grab a photo:

It is another mood of the sky worth capturing!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2017-18
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 01:06:12 AM »
Edouard, another excellent morning photo, I really like how the sky looks with the sun shining through the clouds.

Here is one I took a few minutes ago, it is very cloudy and 41?F, forecasted low for overnight is 33?F.

This April has been the coldest in the 11 year history of ParsonsWeather.com with 2 new April records:
The coldest day in April, 4/8/18 with 28.0?F.
2 days in April, 4/7/18 and 4/8/18, with temperatures below freezing.

History of days at or below 32.0?F in April:

4/7   30.0?F
4/8   28.0?F

4/16   30.0?F

4/15   29.5?F

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Definitely weather extremes. (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 11:13:05 PM »
Dear Dave and WeatherCat sky shutterbugs,

Edouard, another excellent morning photo, I really like how the sky looks with the sun shining through the clouds.

You are welcome!  Glad you enjoyed it!  :)

Here is one I took a few minutes ago, it is very cloudy and 41?F, forecasted low for overnight is 33?F.

. . . .

This April has been the coldest in the 11 year history of ParsonsWeather.com with 2 new April records:
The coldest day in April, 4/8/18 with 28.0?F.
2 days in April, 4/7/18 and 4/8/18, with temperatures below freezing.
. . . .

Thanks for sharing that photo!  :)  Yes, weather extremes seem to be becoming more "normal."  Unfortunately, for all the talk about weather and climate, understanding the atmosphere is among the hardest problems in science.  Expecting a massive amount of gas to behave predictably given all the forces upon it and all the potential freedom of movement - it is a physicist's nightmare.  For all the progress in theory and advances in computing technology - we still have a long way to go.

Cheers, Edouard

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 10:32:21 PM »
This was on the afternoon of the 17th, clear skies and warm temperatures. I looked up and with only a few seconds to do so I got this photo. The airplane was moving very fast, most likely at its cruising speed and altitude.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Nice one! Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »
Dear Dave and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

This was on the afternoon of the 17th, clear skies and warm temperatures. I looked up and with only a few seconds to do so I got this photo. The airplane was moving very fast, most likely at its cruising speed and altitude.

Nice! :)  I've also been thinking about trying to capture something like that.  I'll have to put my camera in some spot where it is handy!

Thanks for sharing! [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
One from morning, one from evening. (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »

We had a front push through over the weekend that was cold but dry.  It was enough to push the marine layer well inland.  As a result, we had this pretty display yesterday morning:

Those of you who keep an eye on the phase of the Moon realize that the Full "Flower" Moon is very soon (Monday.)  That provides another set of photo opportunities to include my anemometer.  Yesterday evening I snapped this shot:

With any luck at all, I'll catch some more photos this evening.  If these sort of photos interest you at all, the best way to scout out the potential opportunities is watch the sky behind your weather instruments.  If you take note of where the Moon passes, what are the likely path of aircraft, and how the clouds tend to form in your area, you'll have a head start toward capturing some really neat photos.

So keep your camera handy and your eyes open!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Photos of the Moon in Scorpio (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2018, 11:16:32 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

Hey where is everybody?    ???  This is the worst case of Spring fever I've seen around here!

Oh well, I kind of promised to post anything I came up with yesterday, so here it goes.  We had some dramatic lighting for an evening scene which resulted in this combo of the anemometer, Moon, and cloud bank:

About 1/2 hour later, I managed to take this photo through the awning we have over the deck where I usually take these pictures:

However, you might notice something that is clearly an handicap in taking these photos from my deck.  The Moon is now passing my anemometer noticeably further to the South, while my view of the anemometer mostly East.  So much so that I really had to struggle to find a spot where I could have two in the same image.  That's because the full Moon is now rising in one of the most Southerly constellations of the Zodiac: Scorpio.  From my location that makes this sort of photograph difficult.  It will take a month or two for the full Moon's to wind their way past Sagittarius and start moving North into Capricorn and Aquarius.

With a little knowledge of astronomy and an awareness of your horizons, you can better plan to take photos like this and avoid making attempts when the Moon simply won't line up as you need.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Photos of the Moon in Scorpio (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »

Hey where is everybody?    ???  This is the worst case of Spring fever I've seen around here!

Spring? It was 34? this morning! It is supposed to make it to 60? today, so there's hope...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Photos of the Moon in Scorpio (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »

Spring? It was 34? this morning! It is supposed to make it to 60? today, so there's hope...

Dead on, Steve. I woke up to 4 inches of new snow. Spring has not sprung here yet.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Steve, Blick, and WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning . . . . . (whenever that actually happens,. .  . )

Dead on, Steve. I woke up to 4 inches of new snow. Spring has not sprung here yet.

Well the weather coming off the Pacific is still cool and will continue until Wednesday.  So I'm not sending any warmth immediately, but the weekend is supposed to start heating up.  Given how hot California has become, I'm definitely not looking to the summer heat waves.  [sweat2]

Sure would be nice to have the average temperature of all four seasons instead of the extremes we are seeing.

Oh well, . . . . .Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Sure would be nice to have the average temperature of all four seasons instead of the extremes we are seeing.

Splendid idea. Hopefully Stu can implement that in WC.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Cloud band behind . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »

It has been over a month since someone has contributed a photo to this thread, but alas my main plan was sabotaged - by of course the weather!  I had hoped to catch the Moon in another angle but we were fogged in during the window of opportunity.  However, we are seeing extremes of hot and cold and today a cold front came through.  It brought clouds like this which I captured behind our anemometer:

Don't be bashful!  All it takes a camera, tablet, or smart phone!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Monsoon clouds reaching North CA. (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »

The weather in Northern California has changed dramatically as the high pressure center located roughly in the four corners region of the desert Southwest is now controlling our weather.  As this high pressure expands and contracts, monsoonal moisture rides around its edge getting as far North as the San Francisco Bay Area.  This morning, there were a few sprinkles in the area, although my rain gauge wasn't among the lucky ones.  Still, I did capture this photo of the monsoon clouds this morning.

Oddly enough, we appear to be on a weekly pattern with monsoonal flow expected to arrive once more late next week.  We shall see!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Interesting cloud shadow. (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2018, 10:40:01 PM »

As predicted, the monsoonal moisture has made an encore performance and alas it has also failed to rain.  However, this morning there was an interesting cloud effect that I managed to capture:

It is unusual to be able to observe the shadow of clouds on the sky itself.  It is something different so enjoy!  :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »
Very cool photo.
Blick