Author Topic: Anyone order iPhone X?  (Read 186 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro-2 Plus with FARS, Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Sta + WeatherLink IP. Two prototype Sharx 3905 HD wide-angle webcams and one production model 3905, all using EvoCam v5.0. WeatherCat 2.4.4 on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
Anyone order iPhone X?
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »

Good thing there's a section for stuff totally unrelated to WX.

Anybody stay up late (West Coast) or get up early (East Coast) to pre-order the iPhone X at 0301 hours EDT?

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
Re: Anyone order iPhone X?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
Got up at 0300 ET and ordered it - it arrived 11/3.  Love it - but miss the Home Button.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »
I was going to, and at the last minute decided to get an 8+. Figured the next version of the X will be a significant improvement along the lines of the Series 2 Watch being well worth the wait. All the X reviews have been quite positive with the exception that it might possibly be the easiest to break iPhone yet. Time will tell.
Blick

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1411
    • KAZCATAL3
    • Black Horse Ranch Personal Weather Station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus, MAC 27In Retina, Solar and UV sensors
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Blicj11 and all:

i thought the same as you and opted out for the 8+. After having been an Apple employee?
i can tell you things are not as they once were. After the fiasco with High Sierra, i am opting
to wait for the 2nd gen iPhoneX rather than be a paid beta/guinea pig.

[cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Strong Breeze
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, is that better?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
i thought about it, but opted for the 8 Plus instead.   too expensive to repair the X.  All glass body.   I do like with the 8 plus I can use the Qi charging.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Sierra; Bloomsky Sky 2; https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsnpW6n6il
http://www.desmoinesweather.org
https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/JoeToubes/2/show.html

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12, WeatherCat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
We both have 6S iPhones, and college daughter is on a 6. We don't have plans to upgrade this cycle.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 • WU: KOHAVON11 • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn •  UK Met Office
MWWN •PWSweather • WeatherBug • WeatherCloud • Twitter • Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
Gulp! (Re: Anyone order iPhone X?)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
Dear jennajon, Weatheraardvark, Steve, and WeatherCat observers of the tech scene,

i thought the same as you and opted out for the 8+. After having been an Apple employee?
i can tell you things are not as they once were. After the fiasco with High Sierra, i am opting
to wait for the 2nd gen iPhoneX rather than be a paid beta/guinea pig.

Gulp!    Looking in from the outside was definitely discouraging, but your commentary only further reminds me of my usual lament:

Oh, how I miss Steve Jobs! 

As to iPhone upgrades I'm going to remain even more retro and stick with my iPhone 6.  I just don't use that much and the only feature that I would be willing to upgrade for is the optical zoom lens.  Thus far it isn't available on the iPhone 6 footprint and I really cannot practically carry a phone that is any bigger.  I do hope Apple will find a way sometime to incorporate this feature into a more compact phone.  I never owned a camera with a zoom lens until 2011.  However, it is amazingly easily to get used to it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]