Author Topic: Noobie Davis hardware question  (Read 42760 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Noobie Davis hardware question
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:53 AM »
Thanks, coach! :)

You can always spot a ported app, they always use "Ok" instead of "OK". I also noticed a lack of GUI skills with the multi-step set up process; they all used "Yes" instead of "Continue". They also seemed to want a separate window for all 15+ settings; screen design is a lost art in many older Windows apps. ::)

I'll look at the Wiki some more. I'm sure there is more info than in the ISS user manual which I've manged to lose! Even UN-made the beds thinking it got under the covers!! At least I'd already downloaded the PDF. It did have some info that I had not thought about. "Don't mount the rain gauge in a sprinkler pattern!" DOH! :o That reminded me to leave the 8' post as long as possible, I'll need a short step ladder to change the batteries. No problem.

I think my wife is surprised at how small the anemometer is, but she's still glad it won't be on the very top of the house! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to install some C-cells in the Console to get rid of the "Low Console Batteries" message. The batteries are there for power even if the power goes off. ::)

For anyone doing a first install, remove the battery from the station after initial testing, at least while you are mounting it. You may not have it in the Sun during that time, yet it will still be transmitting, if the battery is installed. DOH!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
My bad and rogue data . . . (Re: Noobie Davis hardware question)
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat fans,

WeatherCat doesn't do any testing.
Actually it can and especially when first run.

Well, this is - so - embarrassing!  :-[

Yup, my bad.  I didn't know that WeatherCat does some testing on a new installation.  I have been using WeatherCat (and its evolutionary descendent LWC) for all of the 5 years my station has been up.  So I'm a bit out of loop when it comes to what happens when you put up a new station!

I stand corrected!!

For anyone doing a first install, remove the battery from the station after initial testing, at least while you are mounting it. You may not have it in the Sun during that time, yet it will still be transmitting, if the battery is installed. DOH!

The better thing to do is just let the station transmit but not run WeatherCat.  When everything is in its proper location, you can then clear the data logger before starting WeatherCat.  That way any rogue data is eliminated before you start your station in its permanent configuration.  This is a case where you need WeatherLink, you can use it to clear the data logger so WeatherCat doesn't find any data to download.

The other thing you can do is simply edit the data that WeatherCat has collected.  WeatherCat uses text files to store the data.  So if you have some weird data you want to eliminate, just ask and we can tell you how to remove it from the WeatherCat data.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
The better thing to do is just let the station transmit but not run WeatherCat.
Actually, the reason I made that statement is that WC and the Console is already indicating the battery is below full charge. It could be because much of the installation time the station was not properly aligned or even in view of the Sun, so it had to use the battery. Of course, who knows how old that battery might be? Looks like I need to start paying Herb? BTW, I actually didn't start WC until after the mounting was completed. :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2015, 04:17:43 AM »
Of course, who knows how old that battery might be? Looks like I need to start paying Herb?

One of the things I have learned to do from the guys on the forum is to always test the battery before you put it in. That way you know what its strength is when you start. This saves you from trying to figure out why the battery is discharging so fast.

With regards to the testing WC does when you open the Station Hardware Options tool, the Console Voltage should read 4.5 v or higher. When it dips below 4.5 v those console batteries need to be replaced.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
the Console Voltage should read 4.5 v or higher. When it dips below 4.5 v those console batteries need to be replaced.
That assumes there are actually batteries in there! :P I kinda figured that out! ;D We're forecast for possible thunder storms this afternoon/nite. That almost always increases the possibility of electrical outages, so I'll be butting some batteries in the Console. Not too concerned about the low battery condition in the station, need to have some spares located locally or online, anyway. I'll have two batteries on standby since the anemometer kit uses one, also. How fast can Herb deliver them? I'm assuming he hand-delivers them to our house?  :P 8) I'd better send him my address as my Profile map is not exactly accurate... [goofy]

Later, the Console is now happy with some friendly C-cells.  [cheer]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2015, 08:29:28 PM »
Just like a kid in a candy store...

I had noted elsewhere that I was not able to get WC to connect with Email. "Trixology Support" worked with me through several emails and we finally got things connected. Now I just checked Mail and found a message telling me that my station has recorded a new Low Temperature Record! Won't be needing much of a coat, however. The new "low" is 46.5?F. Gimme a break! The station hasn't even been running for much more than 48 hours!! Now, I'll have to see what other messages it might be sending...

Today, Email! Tomorrow, the Moon! [woohoo]

Couldn't have done it without all the help from you weather cats! Especially the "Trixology Support" guy! [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
That's our fearless leader! (Re: Noobie Davis hardware question)
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat fans,

Couldn't have done it without all the help from you weather cats!

Well, according to Blick, it is actually Weather Catters . . . . although this isn't without some controversy.  [biggrin]

Especially the "Trixology Support" guy! [tup]

Most likely that "Trixology Support" guy was none other than our fearless leader: Stu!  Actually Stuart Ball, the developer of WeatherCat software.  When he isn't working his fingers down to the bone coding new goodies for WeatherCat, he does enjoy heading into the wilderness of Scotland, Wales and England.  He does this with his Land Rover of a few years back and his "caravan" (travel trailer to those of us in the USofA.)  He is even known to be quite a connoisseur of Guinness!

So, when you see a posting by WCDev (Stu's forum handle,) know you'll who you are dealing with!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
I thought that's who "Trixology Support" is/was. Unless he has a "day job", it's often difficult to live off programming! Since he didn't use his name in the emails, I didn't want to assume too much; I've got into trouble with that behavior all too often! Besides,  "Trixology Support" sounds much more business like! ;D

I frequent another forum, even help as an Admin, but we don't often use real names in the public forms, unless the 'owner' starts doing it. Too many 'lurkers' on the interweb and all! I didn't even place the 'pin' at my exact location on the Profile map! [blush] Of course, Google knows where we all live!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
I mentioned earlier that the ISS battery was reported as "Low" the very first time I started the Console. Got several emails today via WC about the ISS battery:
    00:02:12 Transmitter battery failure.
    00:05:02 All transmitter batteries are good.
    00:07:36 Transmitter battery failure.
    11:39:44 All transmitter batteries are good.
    11:40:00 Transmitter battery failure.
    11:40:13 Transmitter battery failure.
    11:40:27 Transmitter battery failure.
    11:40:43 Transmitter battery failure.
    11:40:57 Transmitter battery failure.
    11:41:11 All transmitter batteries are good.
    11:41:34 Transmitter battery failure.
Just changed the battery. Batteries + claims they get "fresh" ones every week. Didn't notice till getting home, but the date on the "fresh" one is exactly the same as what Davis sent; Duracell-Mar 2024. All that proves is that they were probably made last year (2014). ::)

Voltages from the station:
    Battery (no load, both the original and the 'new' one): 3.24v
    Solar Array (removed, facing South, overcast/rainy): 2.28v
    Battery tray contacts (Solar Array disconnected): 2.04v
I interpret the empty battery tray value to be the voltage of the super capacitor.

I interpret the solar array to be functioning correctly, I think I measured the same 2.04v on the battery contacts, even with the solar array still connected. The 0.24 difference (solar output - super cap) may be an indication of the load on the station, although I don't know if it happened to be transmitting at the exact moment I was testing. BTW, the red LED is yellow in my station.

Console still reports "low battery" in station. WC Hardware Options screen still shows a red segment for the ISS, the same as before changing the battery.

Lastly, is there info from Davis as to what minimum voltage is needed to run the transmitter? Perhaps even Stu knows, as WC is reporting the battery as "bad". I've looked at the WC reports and don't see one that logs the actual/reported battery voltage. The Hardware Options Battery Status has 8 segments, the extreme right one is labeled "ISS", the others simply "2" through "8". I have no idea what those numbered segments represent. At first I though it might be the 8 ID channels, but I think that is a simple coincidence, and there are only 7 segments to the left of the "ISS" segment, anyway.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:38 PM »
Just got an Admin Alert @14:44:49 saying the "Station voltage is now good - actual value is 4.549 Volts." I can only assume this is because the Sun came out for a time? This is also about the time I 'played' with the station, removing/replacing the battery, disconnecting the solar array, etc. This follows a report just a few seconds earlier that "Station voltage is low - actual value is 4.199 Volts." I'm guessing these are values from the solar array since all measurements at the battery contacts (with or without the batter present) were 2.04 volts.

While I appreciate these notices, I'm not sure what the normal values are supposed to be. They are obviously very much higher than what the battery can supply. Seems a waste to not use rechargeable batteries and use some of that Sun energy to keep them topped off. OTOH, some batteries don't like being charged constantly, and rechargeables are usually very expensive.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sounds like my nightmare. (Re: Noobie Davis hardware question)
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat Davis station caregivers, . . . .

I mentioned earlier that the ISS battery was reported as "Low" the very first time I started the Console. Got several emails today via WC about the ISS battery:

Bummer dude, . . .  Your station definitely shouldn't be behaving like that.  It does remind me of the problems I've been having with my station, although the symptoms are significantly different.  I've never gotten low battery warnings, the station just appears to shut down.

Lastly, is there info from Davis as to what minimum voltage is needed to run the transmitter?

You might call Davis Tech Support on this one, but I can tell you that when the battery in my second 6382 temperature station gets into the 2.9 volt range it starts complaining.  Given your tests, you might be able to figure it out.  Turn on the dip-switch that causes the station to flash when it transmits, remove the battery and solar sensor and allow the station to discharge until it stops flashing.  If you measure the voltage until then, that would give you an idea.  It might be a long time though if your super-capacitor has gotten charged up.

I've looked at the WC reports and don't see one that logs the actual/reported battery voltage. The Hardware Options Battery Status has 8 segments, the extreme right one is labeled "ISS", the others simply "2" through "8". I have no idea what those numbered segments represent. At first I though it might be the 8 ID channels, but I think that is a simple coincidence, and there are only 7 segments to the left of the "ISS" segment, anyway.

I don't think Davis sends the voltage of the battery from the transmitter to the console, so it isn't available for WeatherCat to read.  You were correct the first time, the "LEDs" on the WeatherCat display are the station ID's from 1 to 8.  Since most people don't fuss with multiple IDs, Stu left the first one as ISS.  However, since I have been fussing with station IDs I've seen different ones turn red depending on which ID I have my second 6382 temperature station set to.

Keep an eye on this one, you may have a defective station and may have to return it.

Sorry about this . . . .

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »
Keep an eye on this one, you may have a defective station and may have to return it.
Guess I'd better retrieve that shipping box... ::) We'll see what happens tonight/this weekend, I'm sure no one's at work in Hayward or FL, now. Well, FL, anyway. Besides, the "new" battery may actually be better than the original; perhaps Batteries+ stores theirs in a cooler warehouse than Davis/Rainman does. We keep ours in the frig. ;D

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2015, 02:56:55 AM »
Status: I pulled the 'new' battery and disconnected the solar array (just in case the Moon is really bright!) and turned dip 4 ON at 8:45 pm CDT. The battery contacts read 1.88. Down to 1.74 after an hour of LED blinking (looks green after dark, BTW). Of course, WC and Console are warning of the "low" battery... since it's not installed. Chickens are already roosting, but I may get another reading before I turn in. [sleep] I expect the capacitor to be fully discharged by breakfast. [coffee]

Later... Got one more around 10:45. 1.62[computer]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
The voltage refers to the console voltage - all the transmitters only have good or bad status. If the console voltage is varying with new batteries in there then there's a problem with the console and/or it's mains supply. The voltage should be 4.5V or better with new batteries. At ~4.2v the console will no longer be able to communicate with the computer.

Note that for transmitter batteries, the console will only update the status shortly after midnight, so if you fit a new battery at 15:00, it won't clear the bad status until midnight.