Author Topic: Another Acurite request  (Read 4634 times)

wschuck

• Calm
  • Station Details: Lacrosse 23xx, late 2009 mini, leopard
Another Acurite request
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
Costco is now selling an Acurite model 02032c with a USB data connection.  The price is $80 but on sale now for $60.  Included software is PC only, but it's just a tab or comma separated file.  If Costco sells a zillion of these perhaps we could figure out how to get the data into WeatherCat?

Thanks,

Chuck

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Some info on this station. (Re: Another Acurite request)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
Dear Chuck and WeatherCat fans,

Costco is now selling an Acurite model 02032c with a USB data connection.  The price is $80 but on sale now for $60.  Included software is PC only, but it's just a tab or comma separated file.  If Costco sells a zillion of these perhaps we could figure out how to get the data into WeatherCat?

;) . . . . . Well, . . . . . . I am personally always opposed to have another station supported . . . . until I learn a bit about the station! . . . . [biggrin]

So here is a link to the manufacturer's product listing:

http://www.acurite.com/pro-color-digital-weather-station-with-pc-connect-02032.html

The specifications are definitely a bit on the amateurish side, but it might make a perfectly good starter station.  There are only 3 reviews on the manufacturer's website, but one does claim that the station can take years of use.

Beyond the popularity issue, I suppose the main issue for Stu would be how cooperative the company would be in supporting Stu in creating a driver.  If the station interface is well documented, Stu might be able to knock out a driver in a very short period of time.  If there is no documentation, well that makes it darn near impossible!!  [banghead]

One problem though:

Costco is now selling an Acurite model 02032c with a USB data connection.  The price is $80 but on sale now for $60. 

I don't find it at least on Costco's online sales.  Is this only available in the warehouses?  If so it may not be the huge seller that you are expecting.  Also, that could be a sign this model is being discontinued.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Monomeeth

• Calm
  • Station Details: Acu-rite, but looking for a Mac compatible WS
Re: Another Acurite request
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
Hi there

I'm in Australia and actually bought one of these from Costco. (Costco have been here for a year or so). Anyway, had always wanted to get into the whole weather station thing and this seemed to do everything I needed and at the right price, so gave it a go as my "entry" into this field.

Unfortunately, I am now seriously thinking about returning it. Basically there seems to be no stable way to upload data from the station, not even with running Parallels and emulating Windows 7 to run the Acu-Rite software. The packaging it came in (at least in Australia) was quite misleading, so that'd be my grounds for returning it.

It's a shame as I really like the display unit (very user friendly) and the whole thing was very easy to set up. But for me, the main reason to get into this was to be able to have the data online so I could access it from my computer/iPhone/iPad regardless of where I was and to be able to have some very localised forecasting. And since I can't do that without having access to a Windows PC to upload the data, I'm somewhat stuck. (As far as I can tell, I can't buy the internet bridge in Aus).

All that said, if it did become supported by WeatherCat (or other Mac software) then I'd be happy to keep it.

For now, however, I'm researching other options now that I've got the Weather Station bug, hence my other post on this forum:
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1540.0

Joe.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
Interesting. All the stations we support, we run here 24x7 to check them out before shipping. If it's a piece of junk, we simply won't support it.

The WH1080 was looking that way - the first one we bought would lock up every few hours requiring a power down of the console. Took it back and got another - this one had ferrite clamps on the USB lead - the first one didn't. This one was running for a few months and looked good, hence we shipped support for it. Same with the 3080 - pretty good as well. The outside instruments are holding up well - after 9 months the thermo/hygro unit died and needed a replacement (which has been running for a few months now).

However, we do get about 1 email a month were the FO console has locked up and we have to walk the owner through a power-down reset of the console, so it isn't perfect. The other problem is rain bucket vibration in wind - as long as it's solid it'll be fine, otherwise huge rain amounts are clocked up.

I suspect with all these 'value engineered' stations it's a bit of a lottery.

gioman

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW8735
    • KNCHENDE18
  • Station Details: vantage Pro2
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
Hi,

Old topic but my 2 cents worth.  Acurite software,  pcConnect for the 5-in1 station sucks..really.  In addition to my Davis VantagePro2 station where i use probably the best weather station software, Weathercat, I have the Acurite 5-in-1station. The software, both for the Windoz and Mac versions,  looses connection to the inside display several times a day. This is only one of many frustrations.  For some reason this program will not let the display sleep as apparently the programmers don't know the difference between display sleep and computer sleep.
I have no complaints so far, over a year, for the station itself other than it is a pain to replace the batteries in it.

http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/cheer.gif
So, would I love to have Weather cat running on a different mac for this Acurite station. 
keith

mheron7

• Calm
    • IVICTORI694
  • Station Details: WH3081
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
I'm another one who would like to see Acurite support in weather cat . I do have a WH3080 which runs Ok, my preference is the Acurite 5=in-1