Author Topic: New Weather Station  (Read 4867 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
New Weather Station
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:27:13 AM »
WeatherCatters:

Over the weekend I installed my new weather station. I wanted to add a couple of sensors (Solar and U.V.) but I had two sensors that were failing (barometer and internal humidity). My VP2 is seven years old and after a bunch of research and cost comparison, I decided to buy a new station.

Anyway, I bought the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus. I put it together in the house and all sensors were transmitting data. I took it topside to install and when I was finished, the console was not reading any data from the anemometer, solar or UV sensors. After fooling around for an hour, I asked myself what would Stu advise and the answer to that was reboot the console.

I unplugged the console and removed the batteries, waited ten minutes and powered it back up without the batteries. It fired up on all cylinders and I was in business. I reinstalled the backup batteries and it has been cranking along ever since.

Now I will send my old one back to Davis for a refurb. That will either give me a backup in case Herb's Hoodlums make it to my neighbourhood, or it will end up at my son-in-law's house. He has long admired my weather hobby.

Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: New Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
Congratulations, hope you have fun with your new toy!
 [cheers1]

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »
Congrats on the new station!

I anticipate going through that same decision calculus (buy a new station vs return to Davis for refurb) in the next year or so.

If you have the time, please chronicle the entire refurb process...customer service process, timeline, costs, etc. Also, what sensors does Davis refurbish as part of the process? I have FARS plus the UV and Solar sensors.

Lastly, are you considering requesting certified sensors? I think I read somewhere that's an extra $200 on top of the $140 refurb charge.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
Hi Blicj
 Glad you made the up grade and glad you have got it working  [cheer]
Now for the hoodlums just shoot them or I like I said electricute them
Have fun

cheers

[cheers1]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
That's great news, Blick! A proud new father you must be. (insert new emoticon here that shows a smiling face smoking a big cigar).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations Blick! (Re: New Weather Station)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »
Congratulations Blick!

Sounds like your old VP-2 give you good service and it was time for a change and upgrade!  Best of all, while everything works better - it is all still very familiar!

Enjoy your new and comfortable toy!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:05:35 AM »
If you have the time, please chronicle the entire refurb process...customer service process, timeline, costs, etc. Also, what sensors does Davis refurbish as part of the process? I have FARS plus the UV and Solar sensors. Lastly, are you considering requesting certified sensors? I think I read somewhere that's an extra $200 on top of the $140 refurb charge.

Felix:

On the VP 2 without the UV and Solar sensors and no fan, the refurb charge is US$152, which includes US$12 for shipping. I don't know what they charge for the additional two sensors and the fan, but I do know they charge more for that model. I did not consider certification.

You just box it all up and send it Davis. Include a letter outlining what you want them to do and give them your contact info. When they receive it, they call you and ask for a credit card. They do the work and ship it back. They do it on a first come basis but estimate about two weeks there, plus a week to ship it back. Sounds like it takes about a month. If you overnight ship and request them to ship it back the same way, it cuts out almost two weeks. I know that Randall had them do some warranty work on his new ISS a few months ago and he was down for two or three weeks as I recall.

It always interesting for me to talk to Davis tech support. They are very helpful and knowledgable, but they train their support agents to talk 100 mph (160.93 km/h), which is too fast for a man of my age.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
Reinhard, Felix, Randall, Keith, Edouard and all WeatherCatters:

Thanks for your comments and I am having fun with my new toy. Next on my list: a weather webcam. This will require some serious cooperation from my wife. She will ask if this is just a hobby or is it really an obsession. The lines are blurred.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Good going, Blick! I hope it serves you well into the next decade.

I've been looking into the idea of a weather or security webcam. I found these, which employ the very latest technology and are fully Mac compatible.

http://www.flirsecurity.com/pro/product/dn208p2v4-hd-poe-nvr-ip-camera-security-bundle/

Available on eBay, but I suspect there is no warranty without  access through an authorized dealer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200979546622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »
Herb:

I have a home security system that includes cameras. I recently added a Flir DVR to my four cameras older cameras. The DVR is fully Mac-compatible and allows me to also view live or historical footage on my iPhone and iPad. I like this company.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »
Thanks Blick! Good to know. I think I know which one I want now, though it still may be a month or so.

Herb
Herb