Author Topic: ProTrek  (Read 8682 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
ProTrek
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
Hello folks,

Over the weekend I managed to acquire a Casio ProTrek ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NG45E8/ ) - I believe these are called 'PathFinder's' in the U.S.

I've been after one for a while, so was happy to be able to finally pick one up. Now apart from being great time-keepers (radio controlled, so always spot on), the interesting thing about these is the additional triple sensors they incorporate - a compass, a thermometer and most importantly a barometer (it keeps a log of the pressure every 2 hours for 24 hours so you can see what the pressure is doing on a small graph).

I've been tracking the barometer since the weekend against WeatherCat and after adjusting it for my altitude, it seems pretty accurate. The thermometer however is a different story as it's mounted on your wrist - this is great for the barometer (keeps it at a pretty constant temperature), but you have to take the watch off (and then wait half an hour) if you want to read the temperature.

I've calibrated the thermometer against a few I have here and it seems pretty accurate when off the wrist, but it's a pain seeing pretty much 30?C all the time when it's on your wrist.

So, my question is - does anybody else have one - any tips? It seems that as soon as you travel from one location to another, the barometer will need re-adjusting for any difference in altitude and the thermometer is next to useless on the wrist. I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to calibrate the thermometer 'on the wrist'?

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting idea - perhaps too greedy (Re: ProTrek)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat gadget fans,

Interesting device you've got there.  If you could only get it to make espresso then you'll never have to leave home!!  [coffee]

I have a Casio watch with radio correction to the atomic clocks also.  But don't know what to tell you about the other features.  On my bike's "cycle computer" there is a thermometer, but it also seems have a hard time getting an accurate temperature because it is embedded inside the plastic case.  I haven't found it as useful as I hoped.  I still freeze nearly to death in the morning before the ambient temperature cools the case enough so that thermometer gives a plausible reading.  I still dress "blind" using data from other weather stations around here to guesstimate how cold some of the protected valleys I ride through really are.

Perhaps some of the other gadget junkies on the forum will have some better ideas.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: ProTrek
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
Well having had it for a few days now I can say I'm very impressed by the barometer (as long as you remember to adjust for changes in altitude) - I particularly like the way you can have the pressure graph on the time-keeping display.

The thermometer is next to useless as far as I can tell, but is accurate after about half hour of removal which could be handy in some situations (i.e. camping).

I guess ultimately (apart from being extremely accurate on the time-keeping front), I just like the idea of having a pressure chart on my wrist  [woohoo]

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »
I have had one of these for a year or two now and I too am impressed with it. When I want to monitor temperature I take it off my wrist and leave it lying around for a while. I find the barometer chart very useful, as opposed to the actual values, because it can fir into my weather data and maps and give me an idea what may be happening when I am out and about. Bit heavy to wear all the time especially if your spend a lit of your time parked in front of an iMac like I do.
Hey being a gadget or not, doesn't it just look the business when you are wearing it. No mealy mouthed time teller this one. Also has a brilliant alarm clock which tells me when to take my temperature readings whilst away from base (and of course the medication that needs to be taken). Seems also quite shock proof. mine has been 'dropped' occasionally and still works great.
Highly recommended for any meteorologist.
Still ahem to do some calibrations on it when >I can find a bit of time.

Best wishes

<Mike

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:39:22 PM »
My faithful friend is my Suunto Vector - it has gone with me through many adventures on the mountains and helped me through some difficult situations whith its precise altimeter and barometer. It looks a bit used and scratched, but I think that I do not look even better... [cheers1]

Aside this my SatMap GPS took me home not less faithful then my Suunto, in situations like this...

Aside of this, the thermometer on ones wirst is not useful until you take it off and leave it some minutes aside (as folks told it before).

Cheers 
Reinhard

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »
Stu, I looked at those a long time ago and went with the one with just the atomic receiver on it instead.  But I may have an answer for the problem with the thermometer.  Years ago when I was camping in the arctic with the scouts up there, the leader made sure each of us had three thermometer zipper pulls on our coats and inner jackets and such.  The idea being that there would always be a difference between the three.  The warmer one would be close to the skin and the next warmer would be in the layers and the coolest on the outside.  If any of us was showing signs of any hypothermia, they would check to see what the thermometers were reading, as long as the inside one was high enough we were OK (usually).  So having the thermometer close to you, or on your skin meant that you can keep an eye on your temperature and avoid large changes in your body temperature due to the weather.

At least, that's the way I saw it when I was much younger, I've slept since then.  [cat]

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
My faithful friend is my Suunto Vector - it has gone with me through many adventures on the mountains and helped me through some difficult situations whith its precise altimeter and barometer. It looks a bit used and scratched, but I think that I do not look even better... [cheers1]

Aside this my SatMap GPS took me home not less faithful then my Suunto, in situations like this...

Aside of this, the thermometer on ones wirst is not useful until you take it off and leave it some minutes aside (as folks told it before).

Cheers

That's an impressive picture Reinhard!

I know of the Suunto's but have never actually seen one. Your's looks like it's had a hard life :)

Cheers,
Stu.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Stu, I looked at those a long time ago and went with the one with just the atomic receiver on it instead.  But I may have an answer for the problem with the thermometer.  Years ago when I was camping in the arctic with the scouts up there, the leader made sure each of us had three thermometer zipper pulls on our coats and inner jackets and such.  The idea being that there would always be a difference between the three.  The warmer one would be close to the skin and the next warmer would be in the layers and the coolest on the outside.  If any of us was showing signs of any hypothermia, they would check to see what the thermometers were reading, as long as the inside one was high enough we were OK (usually).  So having the thermometer close to you, or on your skin meant that you can keep an eye on your temperature and avoid large changes in your body temperature due to the weather.

At least, that's the way I saw it when I was much younger, I've slept since then.  [cat]

Doc

Interesting info Doc - hadn't thought of that. And I can see how removing it and attaching to clothing or backpack can give a reasonable reading of the actual temperature - always useful to have. So maybe I need another one now  ;D

Cheers,
Stu.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »
Hi Stu,

This is common for wrist watches with thermometers. I've got a Suunto and a Tissot T-Touch. Both are great (Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Temperature) but the temperature reading is useless while you are wearing it on your wrist.

Once taken off the wrist it does take a while for the watch casing to adjust to the outside temperature. Too long for my liking so I've been trying to find one with a sensor which can be detached from the watch (e.g. 10cm wire, and a 'spring' roll-up mechanism - it could work!  :P) but haven't been able to find one like that. Probably doesn't exist.

Jos

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
Agreed Jos - put mine next to the Vantage today to check it and it took over an hour before the temperature settled down - still handy to have!

And those Tissot's are nice looking bits of kit - but Amazon says the weight is 454g - is that right? ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DML2K0/ )

Cheers,
Stu.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
but Amazon says the weight is 454g - is that right? ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DML2K0/ )

I'm guessing that's shipping weight. My Seamaster is a solid chunk of steel, and it feels heavy at 130 grams, so I can't picture the Tissot weighing nearly 4 times as much!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Yeah, that was my first thought Steve, but they quote the 'Boxed-product Weight' at 1.4Kg. The only things I can think of is either:
a). The page is wrong or
b). The actual box from Tissot is 454g and when wrapped by Amazon it comes in at 1.4Kg

(or it really does weigh 454g?)

[Edit: OK, went to Tissot, they say 91g]

Stu.