Author Topic: USB weather station on router  (Read 2369 times)

ParadisBlanc

USB weather station on router
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
Hello forum,
I was wondering ....

I used to have (before they were made WiFi) a USB printer connected to my Internet router. Through WiFi, using the IP address given by the router, I was able to print from a distant computer.

Would the same be possible with a USB weather station such as the WMR200? Connect it to the router and access it with WC using the IP address the router gave to the station? The reason being that my computer is in a "business" room, and I'd like to keep the station in the "private" living room, where I have the router as well.

I cannot try it because WC will grey the IP field when I choose WMR200.
Anyone ever tried such a setup?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: USB weather station on router
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »
Eric:

I won't be any help because I don't know much about Oregon Scientific weather stations, other than I used to own a cheap one. But with regards to IP, I do have my Davis Vantage Pro connected to my router via IP so WeatherCat supports IP data loggers via ethernet. Someone else will chime in here about USB.
Blick

ParadisBlanc

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
Well, I guess I'll have to hope for the good will of the DEV team to try out if they have time for that.

I got my WMR200 for not too much Euros, I'll move to a Davis one in the future when I get experience. In the meantime, I'll try to connect the USB station to the router, and see if I can talk to it through a different channel than WC  ;D

I saw there is a development kit available for WC as well, but I did not yet dig into the details. Later maybe, I have other "engineering work" to do for the moment.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need a USB over IP device (Re: USB weather station on router)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »
Dear Eric, Blick, and WeatherCat network administrators,

Would the same be possible with a USB weather station such as the WMR200? Connect it to the router and access it with WC using the IP address the router gave to the station? The reason being that my computer is in a "business" room, and I'd like to keep the station in the "private" living room, where I have the router as well.

In order to do this you would need something that provides USB services over your Internet network.  Devices like this do exist for Windows, but I haven't been able to location one for the Mac.  In addition, these devices appear to be a bit expensive.  I don't know how much you paid for your WMR200, but it would be a sizable fraction of your weather station cost.

There is software that would allow you to share your weather station if you connected it to another Mac in your living room.  If you had an old Macintosh that could dedicated to providing the connectivity for your weather station that would work.  Alas even this is quite expensive.  Here is one such software package on the MacUpDate website:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/42538/usb-network-gate

So it isn't impossible, but it will take some effort to make it work.

Cheers, Edouard

ParadisBlanc

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
Thank you all,
I will investigate this when I get the chance to, and let you know about the outcomes.