Author Topic: Davis  (Read 2688 times)

sorento

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis
Davis
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »
Hello every one, I'm intended to buy a new weahterstation, I think a Davis one. But I can't figure out which weatherlink to use the USB or the weatherlink IP?
If possible I want to see the weather data on my Mac and upload it to my weather site and maybe to weatherlink.
Thanks.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
If you use WeatherCat, don't need IP (Re: Davis)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:55:16 PM »
Hi sorento and WeatherCat fans,

First, welcome to the forum!!

Hello every one, I'm intended to buy a new weahterstation, I think a Davis one. But I can't figure out which weatherlink to use the USB or the weatherlink IP?
If possible I want to see the weather data on my Mac and upload it to my weather site and maybe to weatherlink.
Thanks.

Okay, before you jump into how to connect your station do your computer, give a little thought as to which Davis station.  There have been a few folks with problems using the Davis Vantage Vue.  So if you can afford the luxury of a Vantage Pro-2, it is a safer and more versatile choice.

Since you are posting this on the WeatherCat forum, I assume that you want to use WeatherCat as the software on your Mac.  In that case, there isn't much of an advantage to using the WeatherLinkIP over the USB interface.  Probably the best reason is to avoid having to have your console physically close to your Mac.  WeatherLinkIP requires an ethernet connection, but if you can provide that connection, you can locate the console anywhere in your house.  There is something to be said for this.  The console has a lot of useful information, but it is duplicated on WeatherCat.  So when possible, it is nice to have your console somewhere else that is handy, but it is definitely a luxury.

There have been some concerns about driver support with the USB interface, but it seems the maker of the hardware is keeping up with Apple, so this probably isn't much of a concern.  So that leaves uploading data to the Davis WeatherLink network.  It is up to you whether that's important to you or not.  WeatherCat can upload to 7 other services, so maybe that shouldn't be that important.  WeatherLinkIP is almost double the cost of the USB interface, so that's a significant burden.

If you decide to go with Davis, you might post a question here about were to purchase it.  There are some expert bargain hunters who might steer you to a significant cash savings.

Hope this is enough to ponder your options.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. If you decide to go with the USB interface, make sure to buy the Mac version.  There are subtle differences between the Mac and PC data-loggers and you'll save yourself some headaches if you get the correct one.