Author Topic: Weather Cat 3.0.4 using + 7 GB memory  (Read 4017 times)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Weather Cat 3.0.4 using + 7 GB memory
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
I had been having problems for several months around the time WU was having server issues with FTP data not being uploaded after a couple of days and having to restart WeatherCat.  Around the first of the year, I started rebooting the Mac running Mojave 10.14 every night. WeatherCat has function flawless for over 2 months except for one time.However the mac is used occasionally by my wife gets very slow and the spinning beach ball for several seconds. When this happens I noticed WeatherCat is using 7+ Gb of my 8 Mb of memory. I just realized this was a memory issue with WeatherCat, CUP % was all I had checked. It probably is caused another application running. CleanMyMac 3 and now CleanMyMac X has been running in the background but the application was not open. Safari, Mail, Photos, Word 2011 and Excel 2011 is about the only thing that every get open on the mac. I will monitor it today, it is ok after restart but the computer had been restarted 5 hours earlier. Any thoughts on what I should check.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
Re: Weather Cat 3.0.4 using + 7 GB memory
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
WeatherCat is not using the memory according to Activity. With only weather cat open, WC is using 244MB and applications is 2.2Gb but total memory is 7.31Gb. This thread probably need mover form WeatherCat bug

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »
WeatherCat gradually uses more memory during a month. After it processes month-end, it releases some memory it no longer needs but until another program actually requires that RAM, it may show as being used by WC but it is, in fact, available for another program to use.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
macOS issuez (Re: Weather Cat 3.0.4 using + 7 GB memory)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, Blick,

. . . .
However the mac is used occasionally by my wife gets very slow and the spinning beach ball for several seconds. When this happens I noticed WeatherCat is using 7+ Gb of my 8 Mb of memory.

WeatherCat is not using the memory according to Activity. With only weather cat open, WC is using 244MB and applications is 2.2Gb but total memory is 7.31Gb. This thread probably need mover form WeatherCat bug

Okay, I moved this thread from WeatherCat Bugs to WeatherCat General Discussion.

I noticed similar problems with my previous MacBook Pro which had 16 GB of RAM.  I had to reboot every 3 days to have decent performance.  That's one of the main reason's I "super-sized" the RAM on my new Mac mini.  This machine has 64 GB of RAM and maddeningly, it doesn't "waste" memory like my old MacBook suffered from.  There appears to be some macOS issues when running on comparatively small amounts of RAM.  At the moment, I'm only using about 1/3 of the available memory and I'm not noticing the kind of growing inactive memory that was happening on my MacBook.

I would like to start tracking WeatherCat memory usage once more, but alas, my AppleScripts have been put out of commission by Mojave's security features.  Hopefully, I'll figure out the problem eventually, but for now I don't have the nice graphs that I used to be able to make of WeatherCat memory use.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »
I have really been cleaning up the mac and I it has preformed excellent for the last 36 hours. The computer only has 8 mb and preforms well in Photos with WC running. WC really has a light foot print. I'm not sure but I think the problem is caused by WC's none standard Weather Gauges Window. When you restart your computer and had WC as a startup app; the gauges window comes and it does not perform as a normal window. Clicking on it does not select WC and you can't put it away without going to menus and selecting the window. I think one Apple's process is going crazy because of the gauges window, trying to close it or something. Is there any way to make the gauges window not come up when WC is restarted? Thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Tried closing before quitting? (Re: Weather Cat 3.0.4 in 7 GB memory)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 10:32:21 PM »
Dear N4KHQ and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. . . .
Is there any way to make the gauges window not come up when WC is restarted? Thanks

Are you talking about the original gauges that WeatherCat has always had and is described starting on page 35 of the current WeatherCat manual?  If so, you should be able to simply close the original gauge window and WeatherCat will remember that it was closed the next time it starts.  Have you tried that?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
Is there any way to make the gauges window not come up when WC is restarted?
I assume you are speaking of the "Weather Station Gauges" window. If so, it's a question I have asked before but I've not seen a method that works, perhaps a minor, cosmetic change for one of the updates to the app?
I'm sure you already know how to close that window but it will always re-appear with the next startup up of WC.

You must make sure it is the top-most window before you can close it. Of course, that will also make WC the active app. With that accomplished, you can use the "Close" [command-w] command in the File menu. You may be able to use the red, 'candy button' but I vaguely remember that it was not enabled right after a WC startup. It does work if you open it afterwards if you open it for some reason. Frankly, the keyboard is easier than hitting the fairly small button, anyway! [blush] I can only assume that Stu wants the gauges window to appear for testing/confirmation purposes. At any rate, once you close the window, it remains closed ... until you restart WC. [lol]

@Edouard,
Have you tried listing AppleScript as an item in the Security & Firewall->Privacy list? [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 01:01:28 PM »
Xairbusdriver, Yes it would be a great update if you could option out off the "Weather Station Gauges" window on startup. The memory pressure was going into the red on activity monitor, and the mac was grinding to a halt swapping memory with the hard drive. Not sure but it appears to me with the "Weather Station Gauges" window is left open and you start using your mac of other applications, under Mojave another Process running will bump heads with the "Weather Station Gauges" window and shots the memory pressure into the red. After I have started closing the window every day, memory pressure has stayed in the green.

Edouard, Not sure what you mean by listing AppleScript.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
WeatherCat extension AppleScripts (Re: Weather Cat 3.0.4)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 11:51:29 PM »
Dear X-Air, N4KHQ, and WeatherCat feature-o-holics,

Edouard, Not sure what you mean by listing AppleScript.

The AppleScripts in question were something I wrote many years ago and are described here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.0

Alas, in recent years I have been horribly overwhelmed and these AppleScripts have suffered from neglect as a result.  They no longer work on macOS 10.14 Mojave, but I am hopeful to get around the security issues and get them working again.  Alas, what I need is what of course is in short supply - time . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
I'm observing very similar behaviour as N4KHQ is describing. The 'Weather Station Gauges' window could not be closed by clicking the red dot, only after changing windows via the menu. Memory usage goes up (?1GB) as well as CPU load (WC at ?30% but spikes of 70% to 150%).

After reboot the 'Weather Station Gauges' window seems to be behaving normal agian but spikes in CPU load remain (I recall it was hovering steadily around 4% in the past?).

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
Similar here. Most of the time WC uses 3-5% of the CPU and spikes up a few times a minute to 15-16% and sometimes to 25%, but the majority of the time it is low.
WC is currently using the following amounts of Memory:
Real Memory Size502 MB
Virtual Memory Size5.5 GB
Shared Memory Size78 MB
Private  Memory Size243 MB
Blick

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 11:49:09 PM »
I did a poor job of explaining the original problem. It's memory pressure seen in the lower left corner of activity monitor that was getting in the red and bringing the spinning beach ball and very very slow response, even with drop down menus. Apple started using most available memory a few OS updates backs for caching. If all processes behave correctly, memory is managed such that memory pressure stays in the green. If a procedure grabs too much memory, memory pressure goes up and the mac starts using the hard drive for RAM. I have never seen WC use enough memory to cause a problem. It was mds_store using 2+ GB and kernel_task using 4+ GB causing memory pressure to get in the red. I have started closing the "Weather Station Gauges" window every morning when I get up and the mac has not had another memory pressure issue. The 27" Late 2013 8GB iMac has performed great with the  "Weather Station Gauges" window closed.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 06:45:39 AM »
WC has preformed flawless for over two weeks after I started closing the "Weather Station Gauges" window every morning before my wife started using the computer. I have not tried it but I am thinking the restart every night is no longer needed if you close the "Weather Station Gauges" window. I am guessing Mojave 10.14.3 fixed some issues brought on by previous version but has issues with the "Weather Station Gauges" window the does not perform as a normal Mac window.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 02:53:42 PM »
Just as a refresher...

Are you saying that you are seeing the "Weather Station Gauges" window appear every morning even though you are not shutting down the computer daily?!

I am running WC on a headless mini 24/7 but only see that window after a restart of the app or the computer. Once I close that window, it never reappears until the next shutdown.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »
Just did a few tests and I am surprised: If they are visible or not, some windows are open or at least 'in action'. Take a look at the Windows menu of WeatherCat and you will see some windows open but not visible - at least for me. And if you close them or not - after a restart of WeatherCat they are present again in the Windows Menu. And I can confirm that the memory stress is lower when some of this windows are closed.
Update: The 'not visible' marked windows are not visible but still active until I check them within this menu and close them by the red button... and after restart they are back again.
Reinhard