Author Topic: Exactly how dry is California's dry season?  (Read 2800 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Exactly how dry is California's dry season?
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Folks have been a bit surprised by my dislike of the "beautiful California summer."  What they don't tell you about California is what makes California beautiful in the summertime is intense watering.  Without it, things look very different.  On my way home from my usual Monday bike ride I was really getting discouraged by the hills been so brown and burnt - it is only June 11.  I pulled out my iPhone and took some quick pictures:

Barring any climatic instability, the next hope of any significant rain for these hills is typically around November.  So these hills will be broiling in the sun for the next 5-6 months.  It is a hot day today but it is already 91˚ F (32.8˚ C) and climbing!   [sun2]   There was a time when Californians could "water their way" to paradise, but those days are long gone.  Even so, the idea that you can ignore what natural world is going through simply because your plants aren't thirsty is hardly being "really green." 

So for those of you have have rain all summer long - here is why people in California suffer from DISS (Drought Induced Stress Syndrome)   [sweat2]

Cheers, Edouard   [cheers1]