Author Topic: So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . .  (Read 6926 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . .
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers, . . .

Until now the weather has been relatively cool in Northern California and that has allowed the plants to better cope with the drought.  Our wild lawn has been suffering from reducing watering but it was still managing to grow a bit.  Yesterday I mowed and saw this:

This sprinkler isn't disabled.  It runs for 15 minutes, twice a week, as mandated by our water restrictions.  Even so, the soil around the sprinkler itself is cracking like this.  I filled the cracks with sand so I hope the sprinkler won't wobble, but if things are this bad in June, what are the plants going to look like at the end of October?  Unless we get unusually early rains, the plants will have to wait that long.

*Heavy sigh*, . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
You might want to add some concrete with that sand... :(
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Brown hills (Re: So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Inspired by HantaYo's beautiful shot, I decided to pull out my camera even if there is not much in the way of pretty scenes left to photograph around here (at least where people are honestly conserving water.)  I captured this very appropriate scene:

I sure am wondering how many more trees will die over the summer.  Unfortunately, here is a case where the polarizing filter has caused the sky to look excessively blue.

I also caught this subtle bit of marine layer cloudiness:

On this shot the polarizing filter didn't darken the blue as much.

Until the monsoons bring us some more rain, a bit of morning fog and mist is about all the moisture the wild plants are getting these days.  The scenery has definitely gotten monotonous around here and will stay that way until we get a prolonged period of rain.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

P.S. The one potential exception to the monotony is a wild-fire and with everything as dry as it is, we might see some of these hills go from brown to black before all this is over. . . . .

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:14:16 AM »

Likely you were not at a 90? to the sun?  Polarizing works strongest at that angle.  I have a circular polarizing filter which you can rotate to change the effect.  Unfortunately  you cannot see very well the effect in the electronic view finder or the LCD (do not have an optical view finder on my camera).  Typically I rotate several times to try to tone done those too blue skies.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A few more . . . (Re: So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
Dear HantaYo, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

First a quick answer . . .

Likely you were not at a 90? to the sun?  Polarizing works strongest at that angle.  I have a circular polarizing filter which you can rotate to change the effect.  Unfortunately  you cannot see very well the effect in the electronic view finder or the LCD (do not have an optical view finder on my camera).  Typically I rotate several times to try to tone done those too blue skies.

I also have a circular polarizing filter and at least in my Canon DSLR I seem to be able to get it lined up reasonably well.  I also wear polarizing sunglasses so that also helps with the calibration. 

Speaking of photos taken with a circular polarizing filter, the clouds were neat around here so I took a few more. 

Here is a nice contrast between the sky as almost a pool of water and the sun beaten hillside:

Here is one more that shows what sort of firebreaks are being employed around here:

This hill looks very different than it did 2 months ago:

Such is the appearance of California during the drought of 2015 . . . .

Edouard

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:14 AM »
I also have a circular polarizing filter and at least in my Canon DSLR I seem to be able to get it lined up reasonably well.  I also wear polarizing sunglasses so that also helps with the calibration. 

With my electronic viewfinder, I have to take off my polarized sun glasses.  Great cloud pictures!  Keep showing off the California blue sky.  Hopefully there will be rain clouds shortly.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers,

I said the wildflower season was over, but a few stubborn survivors have proven me wrong.  Here is European intruder:

This is called Field Bindweed and was growing in the heavily rocky soil near an electrical substation.  Here is one stubborn group of California Poppies:

They are probably over some ground water and California Poppies can develop very deep roots if allowed come back year after year.  The final wildflower is the pest of so many lawns, the Dandelion:

What looks horrible in a lawn looks comparatively green and lush against the dried grass all around it.

Alas, not everything is managing to cope successfully with the drought.  Here is a pine tree that is in a very sorry state:

Underneath it and nearby trees is an ever growing pile of lost pine needles:

People are already cutting trees rather than risk storm damage this winter.  It is clear the region will be changed for decades even if the drought ends this winter.

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
August flowers . . . (Re: How dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers, . . .

Another south African species that has found the arid California climate to it's liking is the Amaryllis belladonna or "Naked lady" flower:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaryllis

These flowers get their name because their growing period is complete separated from blooming.  As soon as there is enough rain, the plant produces rich green leaves and grows throughout winter into spring.  After the rains stop, the leaves dry out and the plant appears to "disappear" until mid summer when:

The flowers appear on a stalk completely "naked" thus the name.  Most likely this wild naked lady is a "gift" of a squirrel planting a bulb it thought was edible. 

While this line of naked lady flowers is not exactly a wild scene, nonetheless this cannot be entirely cultivated either:

Naked ladies reproduce by creating new bulbs along side the old.  So even if this line of naked ladies may have started out cultivated, there is no doubt they naturally increased the number of plants into the multitude seen here.  Because the plants are trapped between the culvert and the wall, they can only form a line of blooms.

Finally, another example of my fondness for California poppies.  These sure are hearty plants:

Obviously that's a small flower compared to my thumb, but still blooming nonetheless . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Fall in August? (Re: So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »

We had the tail of a front sweep through and give us 0.02" of rain - *sigh*.

However, this morning I saw something that really stunned me:

Sorry all I had was my iPhone and the lighting was hardly ideal.  However, there is no confusing what is going on.  That tree is losing its leaves.  I've long assumed that trees would lose their leaves early because of drought, but here is the proof.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
Yep. That's where all the sap goes. No water, no sap. No sap, no nutrients. No nutrients, no growth. No growth, conserve energy. Conserve energy, get rid of the leaves. Not exactly correct biology, but the end that is caused by the lack of moisture. All living things need water, one way or another, they will die without it.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 04:10:28 AM »
This year, the leaves on our Aspen trees are just dying instead of turning yellow or red and then dying. The effect of long-term drought is distressing the trees. And me.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Feel your pain brother . . . (Re: So exactly how dry it is? . . . . )
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:34:48 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat drought watchers, . . . .

This year, the leaves on our Aspen trees are just dying instead of turning yellow or red and then dying. The effect of long-term drought is distressing the trees. And me.

Yes indeed I feel your pain brother . . . .

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
First day over 100˚ F (Re: So exactly how dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers, . . . .

The growl notifications say it all:

It isn't deadly heat but it topped out at 100.4˚ F (38˚ C).  It is extremely hot for being so close to the Pacific.  In addition, it is an extremely dry heat - the humidity is a bone dry 13% right now.  So instead of relief, drought parched plants can only endure moisture being sucked from their leaves.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
One way to make "lemonade" . . .(Re: . how dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »

With the autumn equinox within a few hours, sadly I can report that this summer was as awful as the previous one.  There was plenty of "teases" for rain, but it has been mostly an oscillation between relatively brief periods of unusual heat and longer periods of below average to average temperatures.  It has also been windier than normal.  This is also bad for the plant because it increases the rate evapotranspiration.

This weekend has been another one of those brief heat waves.  However, I put it to good use.  With all the El Ni?o fuss, I'm starting to prepare the house for a lot of wet weather - just in case . . . .  We had to fill the culvert at the end of the driveway with asphalt so that the cars could cross without rubbing against the concrete.  That culvert filler was starting to get a little faded.  So I took advantage of the heat to top it off once again with some water-based asphalt sealer.  It was miserably hot to apply the stuff.  [sweat2]  But in the very dry heat, the sealer bonded to the surface beautifully:

So I can cross off that item on my winter preparation list!  :)

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: One way to make "lemonade" . . .(Re: . how dry it is in California? . . . . )
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
We had to fill the culvert at the end of the driveway with asphalt so that the cars could cross without rubbing against the concrete.

Edouard:

I am just curious. Is the asphalt filler on top of a metal culvert? Do you own the culvert or are you in an easement there, or have you granted an easement to whoever owns the road? I am just curious because where I live, some properties own their "half" of the roadway and grant an easement. Others, like me, own up to the road but the road itself is owned by the neighbourhood association and I have granted them an easement that contains culverts and underground utility lines (we don't have any overhead power or phone lines here).

Also, how often does that water-based filler need to be replaced? What did you mix it up in, or does it come premixed? What did you use to put it in place and to smooth it out? How thick is it applied?
Blick