Author Topic: Greetings from Carlsbad, California  (Read 3925 times)

BertL

Greetings from Carlsbad, California
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
Happy New Year to All!

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Have been interested in weather for years -- especially in my business traveling days.  Purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2 a few years back and have had it running in my backyard at the top of an architectural trellis, with a console in my office and another out in the family room.  When I retired a while back, I've been using the current info to just keep tabs on temps and weather outside, and let me know how to dress and get ready for early morning (pre-dawn) walks with my Golden.

Have decided to begin tracking things a little closer.  Recently installed a Rachio sprinkler controller that allows me to select a Weatherunderground station for it's purpose.  Also in-process having a 7.7kWh solar system installed on my roof.  Have been doing some current research on personal weather stations in the past few days, and decided to step up my game.  I have a WeatherlinkIP on it's way, and will be relocating my ISS in the next couple weeks.  It's present location is far from ideal and needs some attention, so a new mast is also in order. The ISS should be in a little more optimum location/height for temp/humidity readings, but no, the anemometer won't be 10m high here in my close-nit neighborhood -- but it should be a lot better than it is! :)

I have a lot of reading to do around here; look forward to learning from you-all, and putting my station online in the near future.  More to come!  Bert

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Greetings from Carlsbad, California
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »
Welcome aboard Brett
 We have a lot of people on this forum and with lots of knowledge.
 I'm sure someone here can answer all your questions
Stu has put lots of time in to his Program and is always upgrading it to meet most of our needs

so ask away

cheers

[cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
Welcome to the WeatherCat Forum, Bert!

Your story sounds similar to mine; casual interest in the weather --> Retirement --> Lots of time to fuss with weather stuff --> buy more weather stuff! :)

I'm glad you found us,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Welcome!
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, Bert!
I'm sure there will be plenty of helpful people for you, just as they have been for me!

Seems the Anemometer location and/or height is every one's biggest problem. Neighborhood groups can often be a hinderance, but some have found that providing useful information to them, like very local precipitation data, can go a long way in relieving neighbors concerns about esthetics.

Post some images when you get a chance!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Greetings from Carlsbad, California)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:08:58 AM »
Dear Bert, Randall, Steve, Reinhard, X-Air, and WeatherCat welcome wagon . . . .

Welcome Bert to the WeatherCat forum !!

Since you are contemplating shuffling your instruments around you might find Weather Station Siting Guides useful:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=438.0

We also have a thread with our own various station installation examples:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=969.0

That might provide you with some inspiration as to how you want to relocate your sensors.

Once more - welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

BertL

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Thanks to all for the welcome.

Edouard, thanks for the links -- I had already found one, but the other is a new discovery.  Appreciate it.  I have a challenge with positioning my ISS...  fairly wide and perhaps 1/3 as deep back yard.  I have a 1-story home with 2-story homes on either side, making it nearly impossible to get higher than them by positioning my anemometer on my roof.  Each of my neighbors on the 3 sides of my backyard have trees, so I'll likely be moving most of my gear into as close to center of my yard as possible...  Toying with where it goes so it's not in the dead center of the couple of picture windows we stare though most of the time.  Ah, siting challenges!  I'll post more into appropriate threads as I get my head wrapped around options a little more.  THX again.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Gotta compromise (Re: Greetings from Carlsbad, California)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
Dear Bert and WeatherCat weather station design consultants,

I have a 1-story home with 2-story homes on either side, making it nearly impossible to get higher than them by positioning my anemometer on my roof.  Each of my neighbors on the 3 sides of my backyard have trees, so I'll likely be moving most of my gear into as close to center of my yard as possible...

Many of us have similar predicaments.  I also couldn't get reasonable wind data because I live downhill from a steep Westerly sloop.  So instead I left my anemometer fairly close to the top of the roof.  That allows me to keep an eye on the wind speeds close to the house where they can potentially do damage.  That's one possible compromise.

Best of luck in your station reconfiguration!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 01:07:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bert. I have a couple of things in common with you. I use the WeatherLinkIP? data logger and a couple of years ago I relocated my anemometer to a place that gives me much more accurate wind data.

In case you want to look it over, there is an article in the Wiki that deals with setting up the data logger the first time:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_setup_the_Davis_WeatherLinkIP?_data_logger
Blick

lenticular

• Gentle Breeze
    • IBROUG5
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (Wireless)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:22:17 PM »
Welcome from another Northerner  ThU5:-) ThU5:-)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 02:38:31 AM »
Not sure how far this site is from you, perhaps you could mount your anemometer somewhere on this mast.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »
 [woohoo]
Reinhard