Author Topic: Warwickshire greetings  (Read 5515 times)

testmatch

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW7347
    • IENGLAND665
    • Dunchurch Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus, Mac mini
Warwickshire greetings
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:26:22 AM »
I thought I'd say hello!

I've been a WC user for a year, but only just joined the board. I bought an Aercus station (rebadged Fine Offset) in May last year, tried out the various Mac software to interface with it, and settled on Weathercat (despite it costing around 50% of the price of the station!). The Aercus was a good introduction to weather stations and got me hooked, despite the poorly-shielded temperature sensor and slightly delicate construction. However it started giving more and more sensor errors until it was giving as many errors as valid readings. I tried new batteries, cleaning it, reseating cables, moving the receiver and so on, but nothing helped. I contacted the supplier just before the twelve month warranty expired and they offered to replace it or give me a refund. So I took the money and upgraded to a Davis Vantage 2 Pro Plus.  ;D So I suppose I'm completely hooked now!

I've also had a go with SteelSeries Gauges - see http://www.armlink.co.uk/steel/gauges-ss-basic.htm - and gradually submitted data to more online services now I've got a much more reliable station.

John

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: Warwickshire greetings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
Welcome to the board John.

This is a friendly and supportive community, with a very responsive developer, and it is good to see new WC users joining.
Good move on the Davis Vantage Pro: not cheap but worth the money imho.

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum, John. I just had a look at your SteelSeries Gauges. Well done, mate. I believe you are the first forum user to update to version 2.5.9 of the gauges. Reinhard and I are using 2.5.8. I like your ingenuity in using the WeatherCat tags in your forecast display window. I think you will like your VP2 Pro Plus much better than Aercus.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome John! (Re: Warwickshire greetings)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »
Dear John, Jos, Blick, and WeatherCat welcome wagon! . . .

Thanks for coming out of the shadows and letting us know about you and your station!

Funny that you upgraded from Aercus station (Fine Offset) to a Davis VP-2.  I wouldn't be surprised if the introduction of these low-end stations has done more to drive up sales of Davis products than anything else.  Like you I started out with a low-end Oregon Scientific 768.  It broke after only a year, but in that year I was also hooked.  It is hard to convince yourself to spend the money Davis wants without any idea of how interesting collecting this data is.  Once you've started collecting the data - you can't go back!

Welcome again!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
Ciao! Glad to have another voice on the forum - truly an international group. I wonder if there is a way to see WC user locations all on one world map to see where everyone is. I know of WC users in Great Britain, Europe, all around the USA, Australia. Not sure if there are others. Possibly.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 09:46:33 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, John! I'm much newer at this weather thing than you! Glad I found this place before I spent my hard earned money. The rest of the group here is fantastically friendly, intelligent, experienced, and supportive. Looks like you'll be a great addition to that group after seeing your post about the SPAM on the Wiki! Thanks, and welcome, again! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »
I'd like to add my 'welcome' to the chorus, John!

By the time I saw your post about the Wiki spam, it had already been cleaned up.

testmatch

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW7347
    • IENGLAND665
    • Dunchurch Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus, Mac mini
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and words of welcome. I'll pick out a couple to respond directly to, but it's good to hear from everyone else too.

I like your ingenuity in using the WeatherCat tags in your forecast display window.

That arose because I was miffed that the Aercus didn't provide anything for the CF$ forecast tag. So I thought I'd compensate by pulling together a range of things that would be useful and fill the space with them. Then I got the Davis and could add the forecast.   :)

The relevant line is:

"forecast":"Conditions in Dunchurch at t12$ on de$ are CC$. The forecast is CF$ Sunrise is SUNRISELOCAL$ and sunset is SUNSETLOCAL$. It last rained RLD$",

Funny that you upgraded from Aercus station (Fine Offset) to a Davis VP-2.  I wouldn't be surprised if the introduction of these low-end stations has done more to drive up sales of Davis products than anything else.  Like you I started out with a low-end Oregon Scientific 768.  It broke after only a year, but in that year I was also hooked.  It is hard to convince yourself to spend the money Davis wants without any idea of how interesting collecting this data is.  Once you've started collecting the data - you can't go back!

That was my experience exactly. Being English, I'm already genetically coded to be obsessed with the weather, and as a schoolboy, used to record the rainfall (by pen in a book, using a home-made rain gauge). Since then I've had a series of cheap indoors/outdoors temperature devices ranging from a max/min thermometer to cabled, and then wireless, sensors with max/min alarms. I still have one in the cold frame to check that the seedlings don't get too cold at night. However I'd never have bought a Davis if it weren't for the Aercus showing me just how enjoyable and interesting a weather station can be.

John

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum John  [tup]

Ciao! Glad to have another voice on the forum - truly an international group. I wonder if there is a way to see WC user locations all on one world map to see where everyone is. I know of WC users in Great Britain, Europe, all around the USA, Australia. Not sure if there are others. Possibly.

Allow me to plug the member map :)
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?action=googlemap

For people using WeatherCat for CWOP:
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/cgi-bin/wxequip.pl
Not a map but each individual can be clicked on (scroll down about half way to get to the WeatherCat users).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad we're top Mac "cat!" (Was: Warwickshire greetings)
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 11:06:34 PM »
Howdy Stu and members of the WeatherCat competitive "team" . . . .

Not a map but each individual can be clicked on (scroll down about half way to get to the WeatherCat users).

Thanks for the link Stu!  I think you have mentioned this information in the past, but I didn't know you could check it anytime you were curious. 

Not to be bragging or nuthin' , . . .  but I see there are 20 more WeatherCat users than WeatherSnoop users and Weather Tracker is a distant 3rd.

That makes WeatherCat da' top cat when it comes to Mac weather station software!

Congratulations Stu!  . . . . you rock!!  [rock]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

This is a very interesting link. Thanks for providing it.

I note there are more than 11,000 users uploading to CWOP, including 24 diehards using LWC, one of whom is still happy with version 1.13. I also see that one WeatherCat user is happy with version 1.02. Another of my ex-favorites, WeatherTracker is still used by a few dozen people.

I am so happy to be using WeatherCat after taking a look at all the other Mac options. On behalf of all of us, thank you Stu for continuing to improve the best weather software for Mac.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
I'd agree with you about the best weather software, obviously :) And I appreciate the thanks as well.

However, whether it is the most popular on the Mac is debatable - this is just a list of people posting to CWOP - it may be the number of people that post to CWOP using other software is lower? Also bear in mind WeatherCat is not in the App store so our visibility is limited.

To be honest, I can just about cope with the work load - I either need to raise prices so there are less users or somehow find more time :)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
Being retired, I have more time than money. Can I send you a few hours a week via PayPal? Since I've never used any other weather reporting software, I can honestly say WeatherCT is absolutely, positively say it's the very best! Period! Regardless of price!!!!

PS: You can quote me if it will help.. [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Need a WC - cavaran edition! (Was: Warwickshire greetings)
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:37:15 PM »
Dear Stu, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat faithful,

I'd agree with you about the best weather software, obviously :) And I appreciate the thanks as well.

;) . . . And of course we are a perfectly - objective, disinterested, and impartial group to make these sorts of judgements!!  ;D

However, whether it is the most popular on the Mac is debatable - this is just a list of people posting to CWOP - it may be the number of people that post to CWOP using other software is lower?

Well WeatherCat's only real rival is WeatherSnoop and it isn't apparently much harder to set up to upload to CWOP.  So if there are more WeatherSnoop users out there, the only reason they wouldn't be uploading to CWOP is that they are less motivated to do so than us WeatherCatters.  That's the other secret weapon of WeatherCat . . . . a nice bunch of fellers' on the WeatherCat forum . . . .  :)  Once somebody comes to this forum, it doesn't take them long for him or her to want to turn on all the bells and whistles . . . . . right X-Air!  ;)

Also bear in mind WeatherCat is not in the App store so our visibility is limited.

I didn't realize that WeatherSnoop had gone the App Store route:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weathersnoop-3/id667737395?mt=12

It doesn't look like it is generating a ton sales though and the two reviews are . . . . shall we say . . . mixed!  ;D

To be honest, I can just about cope with the work load - I either need to raise prices so there are less users or somehow find more time :)

;) . . . . Nonsense Stu, . . . . Your problem is that you need some fresh motivation  . . .   It is time for you to take on your ultimate challenge!  WeatherCat, the Caravan edition!! . . . .  [lol2]

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how is WeatherSnoop able to be sold on the App Store?  They seems to be using the same drivers as WeatherCat and I thought you weren't permitted to sell software that included kernel level drivers on the App Store.

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 11:54:37 PM »
Oops, I didn't know about either membership link, WC users map or CWOP. Oh well. Sometime I keep my head buried in the sand, or a snow drift. Maybe it is just the fog. Thanks for the info.