Author Topic: Hello from the past and into the future  (Read 2687 times)

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
  • Station Details: OS WMR968 / WeatherCat
Hello from the past and into the future
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:28:57 PM »
Hello from N Spokane WA, long time WeatherCat user (2007). 

I thought I had a Trixology account but none of my user names and passwords worked so I signed up with a new one and figured Id say Hello again ThU5:-)  Im posting this next message here and in another form because im looking for alot of feed back [bounce].  Ive had my OS WMR968 weather station sense 2005 and had no problems throughout besides few battery change and a few relocations in the yard however with our last cold nap (-9) my WMR968 has started acting up.  I have some new Ni-MH 3.6V recharge able batteries on order (- an arm & a Leg) but I looking into getting a new weather station:  The first one Im looking at is the OS WMR300 (they have a good sale going on right now $299) and the second is the Davis 6250.  The biggest concern I have is that I havent been able to verify if my WeatherCat software is compatible with the OS WMR300?  Any Feed back would be great!  Thanks   

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome home! (Re: Hello from the past and into the future)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »
Dear SRS and WeatherCat faithful.

Hello from N Spokane WA, long time WeatherCat user (2007). 

I thought I had a Trixology account but none of my user names and passwords worked so I signed up with a new one and figured Id say Hello again ThU5:-) 

Well by all means welcome back to the WeatherCat forum

I looking into getting a new weather station:  The first one Im looking at is the OS WMR300 (they have a good sale going on right now $299) and the second is the Davis 6250.  The biggest concern I have is that I havent been able to verify if my WeatherCat software is compatible with the OS WMR300?

Unfortunately, no WeatherCat doesn't support the Oregon Scientific WMR300.  Stu (Stuart Ball) WeatherCat developer had this to say on this question back in 2014:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1117.0

Quoting Stu from that thread:

I never give hard yes or no's as things can change in development right up to the last minute and things get pulled. Indeed I'm just about to do this with a feature in the 2.0.0 development (works fine on 10.6,7 and 8 but not 9 and Apple don't seem to be able to sort it out so I have to pull it until it can be sorted).

As I read this there is an Apple OS issue that prevented support for the WMR300 to go into WeatherCat 2.x.  Quite a bit of water has gone under the bridge, so I would fear that Apple has dropped the ball on this thing.

You found a thread where Stu gives a different answer in 2015:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1915.msg17310;topicseen#new

In that thread Stu reported that there wasn't enough interest. 

I can't be sure, you'll have to wait for Stu to chime in on this question.  It may take him a while to get to your question as he can be very busy from time to time.

Sorry, that's the best answer I can come up with it.

Once more welcome back!  :)

Edouard

P.S. Not to further discourage your choice, but it is a bit surprising that Oregon Scientific is discounting that station so much.  It is clearly intended as a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro-2 clone.  2 years ago I wondered if this station would "make it."  Discounting it that much clearly shows they are having some trouble getting people to buy them.  You might check out a general interest from like WXforum to see what people who own them actually think about them.  Here is the WXforum URL:

http://www.wxforum.net/