Author Topic: Davis Instruments confused.  (Read 7014 times)

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
    • Big Low Weather, Rainow.
  • Station Details: Station: None Intel i5 Hackintosh 16gb RAM Yosemite
Davis Instruments confused.
« on: November 23, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
Hi Guys & Gals,

Not been paying attention for sometime. You set these things up and expect them to run forever!!!!  For sometime now I've needed to replace my station with something more professional but pennies as with all of us are an issue. Would love to migrate to Davis but no matter how I look at it its just too expensive. But before I totally kick the idea into the "one day never bin", could the more knowledgeable of you just confirm that I've got the right or wrong end of the stick.

Is it,  that both the Vantage and Vue require the datalogger unit to to be purchased in order to work with WeatherCat?

You know if I look back at the number of Watson type and Oregon units I've bought over the years I could have afforded a Davis     lol(1)

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
Re: Davis Instruments confused.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
Yes, you will need a datalogger - but their are cheaper 3rd party versions available, it doesn't have to be a Davis unit.
Mark

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Am I missing something here Mark?  Any clues?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
He is probably referring to Rainman.com, an great on-line weather hardware/software retailer. Many have even called, talked to the owner and had questions answered without needing to purchase anything! There are others, of course. ;) Use the "Search" function on these forums and you can see many satisfied buyer comments about Rainman! ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Data logger clones and discount dealers (Re: Davis Instruments confused.)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 11:33:14 PM »
Dear toadstone, Mark, X-Air, and WeatherCat station owners in search of bargains,

Is it,  that both the Vantage and Vue require the datalogger unit to to be purchased in order to work with WeatherCat?

Yes, you will need a datalogger - but their are cheaper 3rd party versions available, it doesn't have to be a Davis unit.

I don't know how many clones are out there but there is at least this clone:

http://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot.com/p/the-belfryboy-clone-usb-logger.html

I've always been a bit concerned about these clones, but we have had a recent newcomer with such a clone and it works exactly like the Davis USB data logger.  The discussion can be found here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2600.msg25243#msg25243

However, there is another way to save money.

He is probably referring to Rainman.com, an great on-line weather hardware/software retailer.

That's one discounter of Davis equipment.  Another one is Scaled Instruments:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

I've had good experiences with both.  Last time this question was kicked around on this forum the best discounts to be had were to be found here:

http://www.provantage.com/service/searchsvcs?QUERY=Davis+weather

Also we are in the holiday season and retailers are discounting, so you might find a bargain in the retail insanity.

May that give you some hope that you can have a Davis station after all!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Sorry to muddy the waters but Davis makes two types of data-loggers.  One connects to your computer via USB and the other is an Ethernet IP device that connects to your home network.  We have a comparison between the two on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=A_comparison_of_the_Davis_USB_and_IP_data_loggers_for_the_Vantage-2/Vue_line_of_weather_stations

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
Mark, X-Air and Edouard,

Thanks for all the useful info.  I had actually done a search on the forum but not for dongles as I assumed incorrectly there wouldn't be one. 

To let you know the root cause of my looking for an alternative station, it has been prompted by the failure of yet another anemometer purely through extreme use and of different makes albeit budget (Maplins, Oregon etc). They just can't take the pounding up here at Big Low.  I actually look over the Cheshire Plain and while I can't see Mark, I can see Wilmslow!!  We are just so exposed.
Through the forum I had looked at the Netatmo purely and simply for the sound anemometer, no moving parts. But then when you see the cost of similar professional kit (anemometer) you ask yourself how accurate is it for the money. On top of which you have to ask for your own data back to use WeatherCat, looking at the server issues they've been having you just don't need the hassle.

Anyway I've affected a temporary repair which seems to be OK and will last till I take the plunge and more than likely shell out for a Davis but I won't be getting datalogger/software package. I have looked at the Instromet route in an effort to buy "local" but when you tot up all the bits and the ergonomics of sensor location etc the Davis starts to look more reasonable!!

Thanks again, Peter.

Little video here of the location and an old video of mist formation.
https://vimeo.com/243383351
https://vimeo.com/244027672

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
Ah, yes, most of the discussion on loggers takes place on the WX forum - too many fora! - I have two consoles, one with an old Davis real "serial" interface, the other with a Belfryboy logger. Both work perfectly, Belfryboy is based in the UK too.

Belfryboy is currently working on a logger with a WiFi interface, so expect to be able to connect wire free soon.

Edit: Nice part of the world you live in, we are often up around these near peaks doing a bit a walking.
Mark

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Thanks Mark, that's all good to know especially wifi bit. Looks as though I'm heading towards Davis.

Yes very nice up here watching the Manchester Airport stack and the landings etc. The first time I saw an A380 drop out of the bottom of the stack (Dane) I just couldn't believe the size of the thing!!  With binoculars its the only aircraft once landed that you can see go all the way along the runway, the tail is so high.

If you pass, always welcome for a refreshment if we're in.

Peter.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat needs some sort of data-logger (Re: Davis Instruments confused.)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
Dear Peter, Mark, and WeatherCat Davis fans,

Anyway I've affected a temporary repair which seems to be OK and will last till I take the plunge and more than likely shell out for a Davis but I won't be getting datalogger/software package.

Thanks for sharing the videos.  I'm not quite sure I understand your comment about not getting a data-logger.  You cannot connect to WeatherCat without some sort of a data-logger.  However, as Mark points out, Belfryboy logger does work fine.  There are some rare occasions when you might need WeatherLink for Mac (mainly for making some adjustments on Davis Weather Envoys,) but they are extremely rare.

Cheers, Edouard

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 12:20:26 AM »
Ah yes Edouard,   I should have said datalogger from Davis. The software will be WeatherCat as I've used it for nearly 10 years now. More importantly I find it easier to use for feeding the app I've done on my Android phone.

Cheers, Peter.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
I know I'm late to this thread, but wanted to thank you, Peter, for the videos. Beautiful country. Are those yellow flowers, gorse? Have you made any progress towards acquiring a different bit of weather kit?
Blick

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »
Hi Blick,  glad you liked the videos!  Yes, that is indeed gorse, it has 2 main flowering times. Usually early spring and then again in late autumn. However, it can and does have little mini flowering times throughout the year if the weather tricks it!!  We had a cold spell just before Christmas followed by a relatively mild Christmas and New Year which has tricked the gorse into flowering, not massively but enough for it to start.
I?m about to start looking again at weather stations as my anemometer has gone again following last nights bad storm, which took out some trees in a nearby wood and our power lines along with them. The riggers were out during the night and we are now back on grid after 3 hours, not bad eh!

It will have to be a Davis weather station I think.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Let us know what you end up with. We all get excited when someone is fortunate enough to pick up a new bit of weather kit.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Let us know if you need any more info. (Re: Davis Instruments confused.)
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »
Dear Peter, Blick,  and WeatherCat station caregivers,

It will have to be a Davis weather station I think.

Let us know if you need any more info to acquire that new station.  Since you are in the UK, you might be better off to buy your station from an outfit in your country.  A number of your countrymen are also on this forum.  Perhaps they can give you some helpful advice on where to buy within the UK.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 12:53:05 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes there are official suppliers in the UK and will go down that route.

Peter