Author Topic: Check you App Store Prefs, NOW!  (Read 1549 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Check you App Store Prefs, NOW!
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
If you haven't checked them lately, you may inadvertently install High Sierra before you have prepared  properly. If your App Store settings have "Download newly available updates in the background" enabled, you will soon get the a Notification with only two choices: "Install" or "Details"

If you have DISabled the above pref, you should get this Notification that offers "Details" or "Not Now".

Note the difference in your choices!

With either Pref setting, I highly recommend you click "Details"! There are several things you should do before Installing a new Operating System, those things can be discussed below. Many have reported problems after installing High Sierra on the machine running WeatherCat.

The important thing is that by choosing "Details" is a not so intuitive way to avoid installing in the first case. Simply click on "Details" and your App Store will open. Now, Quit the App Store. Now, UNcheck "Download...in the background". Please.

The cause for this unethical, at worst, or unsafe, at best, behavior started with the update of Sierra. Apple is literally pushing us to upgrade, whether we want to, are ready to or not.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Check you App Store Prefs, NOW!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »
Sorry about the order of the images. Don't see a way to place them in any particular location in a post or even to label them. [rolleyes2] Let me know if any of that is possible. I'll check the software's Help pages when I get back home.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks . . . (Re: Check you App Store Prefs, NOW!)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:44:56 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat cautious Mac users,

If you haven't checked them lately, you may inadvertently install High Sierra before you have prepared  properly.

Thanks for the head's up. Indeed the settings were not to my liking and I prompted revoked some of the permissions that Apple had imposed upon me.  Even when it comes to software updates it is only polite to ask before putting software on someone's computer.  Alas, politeness is an endangered species.

Oh well, . . . Edouard