Author Topic: WeatherCat or Mac problem?  (Read 6796 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat or Mac problem?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 02:43:06 AM »
I agree that those crash logs are mostly greek to me. However, using Console, you can search for logs that may have mostly plain English text and clearly readable times that should be more helpful. ThU32:-) Console.app should be in your Utilities directory. [computer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
We are not talking about a crash log. We are talking about the Console log.

Go to WeatherCat | Preferences | Advanced | Logging and check Copy Entries to Console Log

Then check the Console Log the next time you have one of these things and see what it says is happening.
Blick

michael252

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW5575
    • KTXROCKW13
    • Heath, Texas Weather
  • Station Details: VP2, iMac, High Sierra, WC 3.12
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
ok, will do.

Thanks!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Different log. (Re: WeatherCat or Mac problem?)
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 11:06:09 PM »
Dear Michael and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

There's a log file attached to the first post, but it means little to me.

That isn't the logs I was referring to.  If you launch the Console application (in the Utilities folder,) it defaults to the messages going to the UNIX console.  That's a snapshot of everything happening to your computer.  If you scroll bad to the moment that your computer "logs you off" you should see some messages related to that process.  I'm fairly certain that you have some sort of OS X system issue.  Looking at those messages around the time this happens should shed some light on what is causing your problem.

Let us know if you find anything.

Cheers, Edouard

michael252

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW5575
    • KTXROCKW13
    • Heath, Texas Weather
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
Happened again overnight. Attached is a log file as it happened. Failed at 2:28am in the log, but I still don't know what caused it, but it does not seem to be WC. 7:57am is when I noticed it and got it running again.
Do I have a bad computer? It's only a month old.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
Michael:

This is just my opinion (I am not an expert on OS crashes), but I do not believe this has anything to do with WeatherCat. The Cat was functioning when the WindowServer crashed. WindowServer is a system service that acts as the liaison between MAcOS apps and your Mac's graphics hardware. Basically, if an app wants to draw something on your Mac's screen, WindowServer is the one telling the graphics card what and where to draw it.

According to the log, after the WindowServer crashes, other software stops responding.The Windowserver crashing results in a screen that looks very similar to the login screen. If you Google WindowServer event port death you may find something useful. However, you stated this is a new computer (only one month old). It is still under warranty, so I suggest you call AppleCare and/or get an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Also, just to clarify, your forum profile states you are running LWC 2.4 but I assume you are running WeatherCat 2.4.1. LWC never made it to 2.4.

Blick

michael252

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW5575
    • KTXROCKW13
    • Heath, Texas Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
Thanks, Blick. Yes, I'm on WC 2.4.1. Just never updated my profile.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Definitely hardware or OS problem (Re: WeatherCat or Mac problem?)
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
Dear Michael, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I second Blick's opinion.  Either your Mac has a hardware problem (most likely) or there is some sort of conflict with the operating system.  It is time to ask Apple what is going on.

Sorry, but at least you have a path to seek resolution.

Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
HI Michael

my iMac was doing something like that and Apple had a replace the video card and the logic board

I'm glad it was under warranty the bill was a like over $700.00

cheers

[cheers1]

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
Before sending it off for repairs, try Onyx (http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html) and verify the disk, clear caches, fix permissions etc. Not saying it will fix it but it's worth trying as it helped me resolve some spurious problems in the past. It's free and uses MacOS tools (so practically no risk), just in a more convenient manner.

Jos

michael252

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW5575
    • KTXROCKW13
    • Heath, Texas Weather
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »
Just thought I'd give an update.
Googled windowserver event as Blick suggested and ran across a lot of info. I'm apparently not the first to have this problem. So I gave one of the easy fixes a try first. The one I tried is under system preferences/mission control, uncheck "displays have separate spaces." No windowserver event for 9 days so far!
[woohoo]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »
Thanks for keeping us updated on this issue. Sooner or alter, it will help someone else with the same problem.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
I'll turn it off also! (Re: WeatherCat or Mac problem?)
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
Dear Michael, Blick, and WeatherCat system tamers,

The one I tried is under system preferences/mission control, uncheck "displays have separate spaces." No windowserver event for 9 days so far!

Well, I found it also checked by default.  Since I have no idea what this is supposed to do on a computer with only one display, I decided to disable it as well.  I don't need more complexity!

Thanks for the discovery!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 03:28:19 AM »
I think "Spaces" are separate screens that can have collections of windows/apps that might be used together. Apparently part of "Mission Control". I've never used either Spaces or Mission Control, but it's useful for some. Probably puts a huge load on windowserver! See Steve's next post as to how much. Still, as I also said, "it seems useful for some". Frankly, there are so many variables in our computer Systems and how we use them, it is often difficult to know what problem is caused by which piece and when. There may still be apps (extensions/daemons/etc.?) with memory leaks/bugs that may not show up in a relatively simple app like Activity Monitor. If a simple fix such as unchecking a pref solves ones problems, great! Life is uncertain, eat dessert first! cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
I use Spaces having my main screen, one with five web cams, one with WeatherCat, one with Windows XP Pro running, and one with Dashboard.

I have "displays have separate spaces" unchecked, and I still have a WindowServer process running. It doesn't consume a lot of RAM (177 MB currently) and uses 15-20% of one of the CPUs.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook