Author Topic: Confused in Colorado  (Read 3670 times)

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Confused in Colorado
« on: January 09, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »
29.8" of snow on Wed-Friday, -11F on Friday, today (Sunday) it is raining. Confused in the Mountains of Colorado  ???

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Confused in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
"Easy" solution: You need to move several thousand feet higher... or lower! I'm thinking the view is worth staying where you are. ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
40 inches of the white stuff in the mountains of Utah during that same period and a low of -12F. Still snowing today with more forecast this week. It's currently 3 feet deep in the driveway so no travel plans for a while.
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
"Easy" solution: You need to move several thousand feet higher... or lower! I'm thinking the view is worth staying where you are. ThU5:-)
I just looked at the webcam on Monarch Pass, 12000Ft and it is snowing there with a temperature of 22F.  12000ft in the winter time is a little harsh for me I am thinking.  Perhaps Arizona  [sun2]

40 inches of the white stuff in the mountains of Utah during that same period and a low of -12F. Still snowing today with more forecast this week. It's currently 3 feet deep in the driveway so no travel plans for a while.
  Snow/rain all week in the forecast.  My 29" of snow on Friday is down to 13" snowpack with all the rain.  What weird weather.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Subtropical jet of warm moisture (Re: Confused in Colorado)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:57:07 AM »
Dear HantaYo, X-Air, Blick, and Weather victims of weird weather,

29.8" of snow on Wed-Friday, -11F on Friday, today (Sunday) it is raining. Confused in the Mountains of Colorado  ???

Alas, you are simply seeing further East the same sad situation that is really messing up California.  I grumbled about this problem on this posting:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2301.msg23053#msg23053

We are getting hammered with what I would call a "Pineapple Express."  This air is very warm and laden with moisture.  I suppose it is still warm enough when it reaches Colorado to keep the snow levels very high.

No kiddin' this is a disaster.  Instead of building up water reserves it is washing our spring runoff away.

Bummer dude! . . . .

Edouard . . .

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:35:54 AM »
Fortunately we haven't gotten any rain. It's been all snow here. Another 7 inches in last 24 hours and still coming. It did warm up but not enough to transition from snow to rain.
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
Fortunately we haven't gotten any rain. It's been all snow here. Another 7 inches in last 24 hours and still coming. It did warm up but not enough to transition from snow to rain.

2.69" of precipitation with approximately .77" as rain and 31.2" of snow.  If the .77" of rain fell as snow likely would be approaching 50" of snow.  Third or fourth storm (have lost track) is here with light snow starting and forecast is winds up to 40mph.  Another storm Friday, Saturday could be a big one depending on where the closed low goes.

Tried to dig out my secondary snow board and it is encased in a ice tomb.

We are getting hammered with what I would call a "Pineapple Express."  This air is very warm and laden with moisture.  I suppose it is still warm enough when it reaches Colorado to keep the snow levels very high.

No kiddin' this is a disaster.  Instead of building up water reserves it is washing our spring runoff away.

Bummer dude! . . . .

Fortunately we are likely close to the snow line and we are at 8,400'.  Mountains snow pack is not being melted.  Looks like a lot of the moisture is coming from the Baja and not more westerly?

Edouard, hang in there!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
Since January 2 we have received 80 inches of snow, most of it heavy and wet, including a foot that fell in the last 24 hours. I had to dig out a 2-foot berm to get into the garage last night. Wahoo! [snowflake]
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 04:04:38 AM »
Since January 2 we have received 80 inches of snow, most of it heavy and wet, including a foot that fell in the last 24 hours. I had to dig out a 2-foot berm to get into the garage last night. Wahoo! [snowflake]

80"- used to be I would be jealous till I started having back and neck problems  [rainyluck]  Snowing again but not much in the forecast.  Luckily wind gusts are only 35mph.  Biggest question: where is the upper level low in the pacific going this weekend.  Sure hoping it goes into northern Utah/Colorado  [tup]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 05:18:29 AM »
80"- used to be I would be jealous till I started having back and neck problems  [rainyluck]  Snowing again but not much in the forecast.  Luckily wind gusts are only 35mph.  Biggest question: where is the upper level low in the pacific going this weekend.  Sure hoping it goes into northern Utah/Colorado  [tup]

Could not agree more. Snow removal is a young man's game. Still, as long as we're here, I'm with you on hoping for more; we need it.
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 03:41:40 AM »

Could not agree more. Snow removal is a young man's game. Still, as long as we're here, I'm with you on hoping for more; we need it.

Back had a rest today.  Best guess on the wind driven snowfall overnight was only a paltry 1.2".   Now bracing for winter storm Albuquerque Low.

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
Luckily just a glancing blow from winter storm Albuquerque Low.  Only 5.4" of snow.  Now bracing for 3 storms starting tomorrow into early next week.  NWS describes the 3rd storm as riding on a wave of moisture from the Pacific- not sure if it is the Pineapple Express of the Baja Torrent.   Hoping California absorbs most of it  [biggrin]