Author Topic: Dawn on the Winter Solstice 2016  (Read 2459 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dawn on the Winter Solstice 2016
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:22 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

I was surprised that nobody started a thread commemorating this year's Winter Solstice and the official start of winter.  This morning I was greeted by this scene shortly before dawn:

It was a cold morning and I couldn't help but think about all the ancient civilizations that performed rituals around the passing of the seasons.  Of all those transitions, the start of winter would seem to be the least interesting for a civilization founded on agriculture.  Quite the opposite, for many cultures the start of winter was considered a critical moment in their religion and could, as it is for the Egyptians, serve as a gateway between the living and the dead.

Christmas is only 4 days away and a lot has been said about the paradox of celebrating this most modern holiday so close to when the ancients had religious traditions like the Egyptians.  The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced Christmas must be celebrated at this time so important for the ancients.  It wasn't supplanting those older religions - it was providing the answer to all those ancient prayers expressed is so many varied ways.

Peace be with all of you, . . . .

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Dawn on the Winter Solstice 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »
Considering a new Station low temp last Tuesday morning, I didn't see any point in mentioning that "Winter" is a few days late around here! ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
Hi folks,

Here is a winter solstice sunrise Youtube I just made from 56 morning still photos taken yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltntnTuqcg#t=34.634264

Still wondering if Youtube can give me better resolution.

Hope you enjoy. 

Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Chilly and You-Tube resolution (Re: Dawn on the Winter Solstice 2016)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 12:30:13 AM »
Dear X-Air, Irving, and WeatherCat observers of the Solstice,

Considering a new Station low temp last Tuesday morning, I didn't see any point in mentioning that "Winter" is a few days late around here! ;)

It has been a cold start to winter in California as well.  Could be the same cold air mass.

Here is a winter solstice sunrise Youtube I just made from 56 morning still photos taken yesterday.

Thanks for sharing Irving!  Very beautiful!  :)

Still wondering if Youtube can give me better resolution.

I'm not sure where your problem is Irving but your videos are only 640x480 resolution.  That just about the minimum anybody uses these days.  You-Tube does support standard HD at 1920x1200 resolution.  Obviously a different subject, but here is a video I put up on You-Tube that is at full HD resolution:

https://youtu.be/T4p-by_8qCw

How are you capturing these images?  I know you are using a Canon camera but I forgot how the resolution gets set.  Somehow you should be able to get more resolution than you are getting right now.

Cheers, Edouard

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:59:42 AM »
Hi Edouard,
Yes your engine Youtube really looks nice and sharp. Where does one see the resolution of the finished Youtube, and how do you set the resolution when you make it? I have often checked the Internet on this subject but can never get really sharp resolution. I wonder if Youtube is processing the images differently in various parts of the world. Attached are two images from the series of 56 that were used in the video. One is from iPhoto and another is a grab showing the camera settings. Anyway I am sure the problem is not with the original camera image resolution. Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
Having trouble sending because of file size. Sending now without attachments
Irving

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 05:21:44 AM »
Edouard,

Sending one scaled down photo.

Irving

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
I thought iMovie had options for the 'quality' and maybe the dimensions of the output of a movie. It may now simply be a choice of "YouTube", "Web", "Email", "HD", etc. I may be thinking of Handbrake.app... I haven't made any 'movies' in years!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Good questions! (Re: Winter Solstice 2016)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »
Dear Irving and WeatherCat budding cinematographers,

Yes your engine Youtube really looks nice and sharp. Where does one see the resolution of the finished Youtube, and how do you set the resolution when you make it?

Good questions!  The only way I can find the resolution of a video on You-Tube is to download it using a utility called MovieSherlock.

I've never changed the resolution of my movies.  I just take them with my iPhone and then convert them to MP4 using HandBrake (a free movie utility program.)

Attached are two images from the series of 56 that were used in the video.

The image that you provided in the later post is plenty big: 1280x960 so your source data is probably HD standard.  I suspect that you have an incorrect setting in iMovie that is causing to make movies at the 640x480 resolution.  Unfortunately, I really don't know much about iMovie.  However, perhaps do some world wide web searching?  Maybe try a search string like "setting iMovie output resolution".

Best of luck!

Edouard