Author Topic: iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .  (Read 18821 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Rebuilding my iPhoto library as I type. (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I downloaded iPhoto Library Manager and I am rebuilding my iPhoto library while writing this reply.  Hopefully I'll soon have some idea of if there was significant data corruption or not.

I'm not a big user of LR.

I doubt I'll ever use more than 5-10% of Lightroom's capabilities.  Still given the choices I had, it still appears to be lessor of the available evils.

For some time the OS has allowed using "/" in file names and I have done that to my detriment.

Unfortunately, this is an old UNIX convention and OS X macOS gives the impression that you can use filenames with just about any character.  This is definitely misleading when it comes to the slash.

I also bought MacPhun's Luminar, which is every bit as good as Aperture. Luminar has a powerful Photos plugin. https://macphun.com/luminar

That is another good tip, but I'm effectively forced to really be old-schooled and try to take the picture the way I want it with the camera.  I hardly have time for anything and photo retouching isn't going to happen given my life situation.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
iPhoto library was damaged (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 10:54:28 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Shutterbugs,

A quick update on this topic.  I had added some missing titles before rebuilding the iPhoto library using iPhoto Library Manager.  When I open up the rebuilt library, the titles I had added are once more missing.  So there can be no doubt my iPhoto library was corrupted.  So I have to back and put all the missing titles back in.  Once I do that perhaps I will be able to successfully export my photos to Lightroom.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2017, 11:57:27 PM »
I discovered the reason for the 'failure' to use the "/" character. It has nothing to do with the OS. There is a setting/pref in LR that allows one to create a list or use a default one, of characters that should not be allowed. I had not changed the default choice which includes several characters that are not allowed in various OS'. The ones I remember are: "\", "|", "/", ".", "<", ">" and ":" but there may be more.

A second option lets the user select a character to replace the 'forbidden' ones. The default is "_".

The replacements are done automagically on Import, of course.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sorry, still fixin' titles!(Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat detail-oriented types,

I discovered the reason for the 'failure' to use the "/" character. It has nothing to do with the OS.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I'm racing in between trying to fill in all the missing photo titles and having to start preparing dinner.  I only had 250+ titles to fill in but I've been at it for 2 hours and still aren't done.  Oh well, there is always tomorrow!

Cheers, Edouard

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »
An alternative piece of software worth considering is Photoscape X. Low cost and does a decent job.

http://x.photoscape.org/

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Looking for a photo collection manager (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »
Dear JosBaz and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

An alternative piece of software worth considering is Photoscape X. Low cost and does a decent job.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't do what I'm looking for.  I need a tool maintain my digital photo collection, permit me to do searches, and share photos.  Sadly, I don't see anything really designed for this task.  iPhoto was the best but hardly ideal.  Lightroom doesn't seem to be particularly well suited to managing a photo archive.

I'm not sure where I'm headed.  After a very careful effort to remove all data corruption in my iPhoto library I once more attempted to export to Lightroom.  This time even the description text wasn't successfully imported into Lightroom.  So for the moment I'm back to square-one.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
I assume that LR only uses the actual file name and any EXIF data. If iPhoto is not adding info to the EXIF, it simply won't be seen. I am also assuming that the LR importer is not actually designed to 'read' the database possibly created by iPhoto/Photos. Two "assumptions" is probably twice as many allowed! lol(1)

I have an app that obviously came with PS Elements that may do what you need. It's called Elements Organizer and has several methods of sorting images including "Events". Unfortunately, Elements is not free, although not expensive (in the Adobe sense, anyway), and older versions can probably be found on the web for much lower prices. I'm not sure you can install Elements in a trial mode, either. Even though there is an "Import" function, it could require lots of manual data entry, also.

I've never actually used this app, so I have no real knowledge of its operation or capabilities. [banghead]

BTW, Elements is mainly a pixel editor rather than like LR or even iPhoto/Photos. It was originally created to develop the interface for Photoshop* and can use many 'actions' created for PS because the code is there, but not all the interface dialogs.

* Probably an urban legend, no source that I know of. :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Attempt #3 (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I assume that LR only uses the actual file name and any EXIF data.

That isn't what Adobe claims:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/10/aperture-import-plugin-now-available.html

Specifically listed as imported is:

"Metadata that can be entered in the ?Info? panel in Aperture."  The iPhoto plugin is supposed to have exactly the same importing capability. 

There must be some truth to this.  My first attempt successfully imported the photo descriptions.  Only the titles where missing.  I made one attempt to rebuild my iPhoto library and that clearly made things worse.  I made a second attempt this afternoon and the Lightroom import is happening as I type.  If that doesn't work I have still one more possible way to rebuild my iPhoto library.

I'll keep trying until I run out of options!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2017, 01:12:15 AM »
So much for "assumptions"! [blush] lol(1)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Time to try Apple support forums (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

This is definitely becoming another one of those "mellardramas."  I have tried to rebuild my iPhoto library two different ways.  First I tried using iPhoto Library Manager.  Later I discovered that iPhoto has a built-in tool to rebuild the library:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201769

I did find some corruption that was repaired.  In particular, I had one roll of film (back in the days of CD-ROMs being provided with the processed film) that was mysteriously duplicated and could not be edited.  However, something still has to be messed up.  The Lightroom import unfolds in exactly the same way.  It claims that exactly the same two photos cannot be imported correctly and only the descriptions ever get imported.  Here is what that looks like:

Since the descriptions are being imported, I assume that the Lightroom iPhoto importer is attempting to import as Adobe advertises.  I think I'll start with a post on the Apple Support Forums.  Perhaps there is another way to get iPhoto libraries to completely rebuilt.

Why can't anything be simple when it comes to stuff like this? . . . .  [banghead]

Heavy Sigh, . . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »
 [coffee] How about picking the problem image and export it from iPhoto to another app. Even just to the Desktop. Then just use Quick Look to 'open' it. If that works, put in a folder LR is already using for source images and see if it can now import it.

Of course, if you have several dozen, that may be rather time consuming. Wait... didn't we already remember that iPhoto can export a group of images? The point being, perhaps exporting the images without the edits that might have been done will result in images that LR doesn't think are corrupted. As long as you are doing all the work I've got lots of suggestions! lol(1)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Starting to scheme - AppleScript? (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2017, 12:07:31 AM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat Mac tinkerers,

[coffee] How about picking the problem image and export it from iPhoto to another app. Even just to the Desktop. Then just use Quick Look to 'open' it. If that works, put in a folder LR is already using for source images and see if it can now import it.

Unfortunately every title is missing from the 8800+ images.  It is a systemic problem.  I have threads up on the Apple support forum and the Lightroomforums, but thus far, nobody seems to have any idea.  Of greater concern is that another person on the Lightroomforums reported having exactly the same problem in 2015.  So while the problem may be rare - I'm not alone.

I'm starting to look into other ways to get my data out.  iPhoto has decent AppleScript support and I found an AppleScript exporter.  I haven't had time to look into this, but that may have to be the way to get my data out.

Cheers, Edouard