Author Topic: Upgrade weather station vs refurbish  (Read 3401 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Upgrade weather station vs refurbish
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
My VP2 is seven years old and is starting to produce some wobbly sensor data on occasion. I know I can get the whole unit refurbished by David for $100. However, my unit lacks the UV and Solar Radiation sensors, which I would like to add, if I can afford it. I have a few questions and would appreciate some help on this.

• I know I can purchase the UV and Radiation sensors, but I don't know if it makes any sense to add those to a standard ISS that does not have a radiation shield. Can it even be done?
  • If it can be done, should it? I assume I would end up with more accurate data if I purchased a new unit that included those sensors as they would come with a radiation shield.
  • Is it worth it to buy the model with the aspirated fan?
  • If I change out my station, does WeatherCat start over on Day One when I boot up the new hardware, or does it retain history?
  • What other advice can you give me, even though I may not have asked the right questions?

Thank you very much in advance for sharing your expertise.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Upgrade weather station vs refurbish
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
I don't know if I should be the one giving advice here. I still question some of these issues as well. But, last year after the erratic readings in my pressure sensor, and consulting with Davis on the cost of refurbishment, I bought a second VP2. I reasoned that I was going to have to send the system back to Davis periodically, and I didn't want to be down for a couple of weeks during each interim period. At this point I have replaced the 2 year old unit completely with the new one. The older unit is waiting for my attention to send it back to Davis. My attention is waiting resolution of other matters, like tax filing.

Coming from a background in metrology, doing plant maintenance of instrumentation in the pharmaceutical industry, I know that the reliability of accuracy can only be assured through regular intervals of testing and recalibration against a known standard. So, while it may be accurate to call what Davis does with an old unit, "refurbishment," what we really get out of it is certification of accuracy from Davis as our reputable authority. At least that's the way I look at it.

The only real issue I ran into was that after carefully shutting down and swapping out the ISS and console, I ended up with some dog leg bumps in all my trend lines. Nothing that is noticeable on a 28 day chart.

Just remember that it is essentially 3 pieces, the ISS, the console, and the little circuit board that plugs in the back of the console, called the hoobedoo or data logger, that has a memory buffer and communicates with the computer (I have the direct connect version, not the Internet one). Before going through the somewhat laborious setup of the new console, the data logger must already be installed, or you're going to do it twice. You must remove all power to the console before inserting that hoobedoo, and that will erase your settings if you've already done them. I just considered it a practice run and did it again.

I didn't know they ever shipped a VP without a radiation shield, but then I have only been at this for 2 years. My thoughts on the aspirated fan is that it will only have any effect on temperature accuracy when there is no wind. So, if dead calm days are frequent, you may want to go the extra expense. If they are rare, as they are here, then it might be better to apply that money elsewhere.
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
Hi Blicj
 Having it refurbished and buying the additional sensor for UV and Radition is about 450.00 dollars I bought it new for just over 700.00
Just my 2 cents worth on the subject
cheers

[cheers1]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
Assuming (yes, I know the old saying) that you're keeping the same data logger, WC will continue to read from that as it always has. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Unplugging the data logger during console transfer will not destroy any data because it is non-volatile.

Yes, the fan aspirated radiation shield is necessary for temperature accuracy. Even on windy days the wind is not constant, as it would be if your head was out the window of a car for a 12 hour non-stop drive. The shield also keeps heat from the black VP2 reflected away from the temperature sensor inside, so when the wind dies down for brief intervals the temperature sensor is not affected. Davis told me that a 12 hour fan is sufficient because, after the sun goes down, the VP2 cools off quickly and because the sun's radiation is no longer an influence. Just make sure your VP2 is high enough off the ground to avoid its heat influence (even if you get the 24 hour fan).

7 years old is old. Expansion and contraction and moisture have stressed materials over time. Refurbishing is okay for a backup unit, but it's time for a new ISS if you can afford it. If not, and if it were me, I would be okay with refurbishing, i.e. buying more time until a better fiscal moment arrives.

I don't know enough about the other UV and radiation sensors to comment.

awilltx

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »

I know I can purchase the UV and Radiation sensors, but I don't know if it makes any sense to add those to a standard ISS that does not have a radiation shield. Can it even be done?

If it can be done, should it? I assume I would end up with more accurate data if I purchased a new unit that included those sensors as they would come with a radiation shield.

The radiation shield has no effect on UV and solar sensors. You could add them to an older setup and have just as accurate readings as if you bought a new station with them already attached.

You will definitely save money by buying a station with UV and solar included!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »
Just a FYI. One of the moderators over on WXForum posted the following.

Just got off the phone with Davis re: some pricing. The VP2 full station refurb just went up to $140 today. Still a bargain IMO if you have an old or well-used station (or enough parts to send back to make a station's worth).

The Vue refurb was $80 plus $12, now $100 PLUS $12.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook