Author Topic: Barometer readings on Davis consoles  (Read 3053 times)

awilltx

Barometer readings on Davis consoles
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
I finally broke down and replaced my old, old Davis VP2 setup with a brand new, decked-out everything VP2 Plus - new ISS and console (yeah me!).  I'm keeping the old ISS for parts and decided to use both consoles, but I'm getting different barometer readings on the two consoles. It's not a big difference - right now one has 30.06 and the other has 30.09, but it is irksome to me. Both have the same elevation and other settings, so the only thing I can think that might be the cause is a firmware difference. I might have updated the firmware once on the old Davis console when there was a Windows machine in the house, but don't know how long it has been.

Also, just FYI: I tried to plug my old data logger into the new console and received the message "Incompatible Logger" on the new console. No big deal, but I DID want to use my new console to connect to WC for grins and because it's shiny.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Barometer readings on Davis consoles
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
You can send your old VP2 to Davis for the $100 refurbish. It will come back practically brand new. You can then use it as a backup. They replace anything worn, anything replaced by a newer component, replace some old analog sensors with new digital, etc. Best deal out there. Shipping is something like $15, and you can use your new box to return it.

Also, just FYI: I tried to plug my old data logger into the new console and received the message "Incompatible Logger" on the new console. No big deal, but I DID want to use my new console to connect to WC for grins and because it's shiny.

It IS a big deal! There are potentially thousands of folks out there that might be in your shoes. Contact Davis, and from what I understand, they will replace your old data logger with a new one.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
You can send your old VP2 to Davis for the $100 refurbish. It will come back practically brand new.

Steve, does this include the console as well, or just the sensors in the ISS?
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »
They'll refurb the entire station for $100, including console. If you have other sensors, I think they'll do those too. Contact Davis for all the details and address to ship to.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
Thanks for the info. I knew they had a refurb program but did not realize it included the console as well. This is a deal I am interested in.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »
Just a FYI. One of the moderators over on WXForum posted the following.

Just got off the phone with Davis re: some pricing. The VP2 full station refurb just went up to $140 today. Still a bargain IMO if you have an old or well-used station (or enough parts to send back to make a station's worth).

The Vue refurb was $80 plus $12, now $100 PLUS $12.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:43:11 AM »
 Just my luck. I spoke to them this morning and it was still $100 when they opened up the shop.
Blick