Author Topic: Standard Time vs Daylight Saving Time  (Read 4176 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Standard Time vs Daylight Saving Time
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
One of the most ridiculous government-imposed boondoggles of modern life occurred yesterday at my home at 2:00 AM Mountain Daylight Time when our clocks magically went backward for one hour, transforming into 1:00 AM Mountain Standard Time. What a waste of good clock energy. WeatherCat, of course, handled the change much better than I did. The older I get, the more ridiculous this semi-annual madness becomes.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Standard Time vs Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
Didn't notice until this morning; the times on the NOAA Forecasts also changed by one hour. Think of all the wasted bits that were used to do that! [computer]

There is another waste that is seldom mentioned. Each year we waste precious space and probably energy storing an hour of Sunlight from now until next Spring! This is what makes it get dark earlier this Fall and Winter, of course. Then when those hours are released, one a day, to make daylight an hour longer next Spring and Summer. That task takes an unbelievable amount of space for no earthly reason!!! [banghead] [goofy] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Disillusioned on this one (Re: Standard Time vs Daylight Saving Time )
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat social observers,

One of the most ridiculous government-imposed boondoggles of modern life occurred yesterday at my home at 2:00 AM Mountain Daylight Time when our clocks magically went backward for one hour, transforming into 1:00 AM Mountain Standard Time. What a waste of good clock energy. WeatherCat, of course, handled the change much better than I did. The older I get, the more ridiculous this semi-annual madness becomes.

You are preaching to the choir when it comes to me.  I haven't gone back to review the literature, but last time I looked it seems absolutely overwhelming that daylight savings only costs - it doesn't save anything.  When the concept was first proposed, lighting was difficult and expensive.  It might have made sense then.  However today, lighting is an extremely small fraction of our energy costs.  On the other hand, the key premise of daylight savings really doesn't apply anymore.  People cannot rearrange the lives to take advantage of the extra daylight.  More than ever we are bound to the clock of a modern society.  Whatever we set our clocks to, we need to live out our regimented lives.  As a result, in the Winter we use more energy to heat because we are forced to get up earlier when it is colder.  In the Summer we use more energy to stay cool because we shift our activity into the hotter part of the day.

Alas, repealing daylight savings looks to be virtually impossible for a reason that - to me at least - is utterly terrifying.  It has become a ingrained tradition with false associations of patriotism and caring for the environment.  Whenever I've broached this subject I might as well have been attacking motherhood and apple pie.  Stranger still, there are many people who desperately want that extra hour of daylight for psychological and recreational reasons.  People in Northern latitudes see the start of daylight savings as a first sign of the end of their winter entombment.  Many people want daylight savings for the additional recreational time it provides them with daylight.  Even if most people have very little free time at all, so it represents a huge waste of human resources for a very tiny benefit.  Moreover this too is probably more illusion than reality, since most people have pigeon-holed their free time as well.  For all too many, daylight savings or not, even our free time is regimented like clockwork.

Still, those reasons prevail instead of - a rational attempt to make the best choices for the human race and the planet.  It is simply another example of rationality rejected by collective preference.  Since as a collective we have also rejected any sort of spiritual salvation, we cannot as whole expect rescue in that manner.  if we also intentionally choose to reject rationality - just how long to we expect to endure?

At this point about all I can hope for is da' second coming!!

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard   

P.S. Yes, WeatherCat got through the transition just fine for me as well.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
Here is an interesting read about the federal government interference on the topic and how every year someone where I live tries to do something about it, but fails.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/11/05/hate-daylight-saving-time/
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing. (Re: Standard Time vs Daylight Saving Time )
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat observers of da' political process.

Here is an interesting read about the federal government interference on the topic and how every year someone where I live tries to do something about it, but fails.

Thanks for sharing.  It was an interesting account from another state's perspective.  Actually California is voting on a proposition related to daylight savings time.  Here is what the League of Women Voters have to say about it:

https://lwvc.org/vote/elections/ballot-measures/proposition-7-conforms-california-daylight-savings-time-federal-law

Sadly it is this sort of confusing propositions that Californians are forced to decide upon essentially every election.  It certainly didn't improve my disillusionment or I strongly suspect the disillusionment of many other Californians.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
States are already allowed to change back to standard time all year. But changing to daylight time all year, (which I'd like, because I'm apparently one of Edouard's grossly generalized people who actually think I enjoy having sunlight until 9 or so in the summer) requires federal approval.

Imagine the confusion of having a two hour time difference between neighboring towns near the time zone line; one on full year daylight and the other on full year standard. And other time zone lines, two towns could be on the same time. Stupid to have both options. Either do away with daylight time, which won't happen. Or leave it as it is and let states decide standard or daylight.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
I see that California approved that Proposition by almost 2/3 majority.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
A majority can not be used to prove the veracity of a theory, nor to change a statement into a fact. A majority is not the same as being correct.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »
A majority can not be used to prove the veracity of a theory, nor to change a statement into a fact. A majority is not the same as being correct.

Thank you for straightening us all out on that point, but in this case, the majority were correct, if for no other reason than they agreed with me. If there is one thing in this world about which I know more than any other person, it is my opinion, about which I am an expert.

Please note my ability to end clauses and sentence without a preposition as proof I paid attention in high school English classes. But enough about me, let's get rid of changing our clocks twice a year.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
*Sigh* - any room for reason? (Re: Standard Time vs Daylight Saving Time )
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:44:10 PM »
Dear Steve, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat ponderers of the future,

Yes I voted for the California proposition that passed.  Alas I didn't know that it included an advisory clause asking the California Legislature to switch to year around daylight savings if the Feds will allow it.  Had I known this I would have voted against it.

What to me is utterly heartbreaking is that for all this debate - nobody seems interested in the truly important question: Does daylight savings increase or decrease energy consumption?

Instead of all this political battling, couldn't the government commission some studies and simply answer this question in a definitive way?  It should be relatively easy to compare Phoenix and Los Angeles to generate all the data needed to answer this question once and for all.

Science and technology, even Philosophy and other academic pursuits, can serve our civilization, but only if we seek the knowledge to be found there and examine what is offered critically.  We are at a time of horrible emotional and political divides driven by ignorance all round.  It is extremely foolish to suppose that simple-minded solutions can work in complex society where so many things are interdependent.  Whatever the problem, the issue isn't trying to think outside of the box, but becoming very clearly focused on what precisely is the problem needing to be solved.  I'm fear that if we all could get our heads around the totality of issues we are facing - there would be agreement - on the desperately difficult circumstances we find ourselves in.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 11:43:53 PM »
Thank you for straightening us all out on that point
You are most welcome. It's the least I could do, and I always to the least I can. :P
couldn't the government commission some studies and simply answer this question in a definitive way?
I thought you were against wasteful spending! You very remark about the wording on the ballot question is a purfekt example of what too many government agency's give us. That's my opinion, anyway. And, like Blick, I'm sticking with it, no matter the facts (nor the English lessons)! cmu:-)

I'm just glad I we don't have the task of resetting Stonehenge twice a year! [banghead]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 09:23:13 PM »
It's also a conspiracy against those who go to church, that the time change occurs early Sunday morning, not early Saturday morning, at least in the spring. I used to go to a church that, on Spring-Ahead Sunday, they met an hour later, so we could all have one more day to sleep in, haha.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.