Author Topic: Who needs the stinking Manual!?  (Read 3146 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Who needs the stinking Manual!?
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
Well, I guess I sure do! [blush] Like others who have recently seen "no reports from you" emails from WU, I decided to check my mini.

Didn't see any breaks in its operation since the last time I Restarted WC a few days ago. Nothing to see here, move along. Which I did.

But I noticed that clicking the 'link' on a weather warning was opening the NOAA site in the open tab/window. That is definitely not what I want and it can be very confusing to the viewer! "What happened to the weather site I was looking at?!" Believe me, I've seen dumber reactions...

Unfortunately, I'm using a php template for displaying those warnings, which means locating the exact link html can be a bit tedious. I also found that the little "I" image, at least on the actual warning boxes, was being interpreted as part of the link, since the closing anchor tag was after the html with the url. While technically correct, the 'target="_blank"' attribute was not being 'seen' by the time the browser parsed the image tags. The effect was that the text link worked fine; the NOAA site opened in a new tab. But if the "I" image was used, the NOAA page opened in the current tab/window... again! [banghead] I simply removed the "I" image display in the warning boxes. Problem solved... the hard (my normal) way.

Then I decided to make a Journal entry about the change. Stu has provided such a handy tool, so why not use it? That will be a lot easier than looking for the comment in the html file! [tup]

This (finally) leads to the thread title... I had set the journal as the only "Additional File" in the WC prefs. I didn't expect to make many entries, so I set the upload interval to 1440 minutes; once every 12 hours. Of course, after making the new entry, I wanted to see it in the browser. Like pretty soon, not tomorrow... So, I open the Prefs in order to change the update interval to a much shorter number of minutes, maybe even some fraction of a minute. [tup]

Shockingly(!), I saw that the setting for this file was ONE minute(!), not the 1440 I had entered yesterday!  :o Nevertheless, I changed it to .5 minutes, refreshed the page about a minute later and saw that things were as I expected. Now, back to the Prefs to re-enter that 1440 minute value (and maybe take a screen shot?)! Made the change, closed the prefs, re-opened the Prefs and saw the "1440" had disappeared, again! Obviously a bug!! [rolleyes2]

OTOH, I think I've made more misteaks since buys WC than Stu has made in his programming career, so I decided to read The Manual. Sirprize, sirprize! Right there on page 132 is the following:"the processing period can be set from between 0.1 to 1000 minutes"! I'm sure Stu could never have imagined someone like me running his software! [lol] [computer] "Surely, 1,000 minutes is plenty of time for any idiot running WC! Why would anyone want more time?! :o" Good news is that I can still use a 12 hour interval. Even better news, there's not a bug! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Who needs the stinking Manual!?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »
Hi xair
 I have learned a lot from that manual I will also tell everyone that they should take the time and ready it lots of good stuff in it and it can even help keep you out of trouble

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:52:01 AM »
There is a manual?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
You need a "stick" . . (Re: Who needs the stinking Manual!?)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:21:56 AM »
Dear Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat driving enthusiasts,

There is a manual?

;) . . . .Of course there is a manual . . . . .

In any car that doesn't have an automatic transmission of course!!

Don't you know how to drive a "stick" ?
. . . .  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: You need a "stick" . . (Re: Who needs the stinking Manual!?)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
Dear Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat driving enthusiasts,
Don't you know how to drive a "stick" ?

Well, now that you ask, I learned to drive a stick in a 1948 Willys Jeep that my Dad bought from the US Army in about 1958. I disconnected the odometer cable so he would not know the jeep had moved. I was 14 at the time and it was great fun.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
Continuing this off-topic foray, I've never owned a car that wasn't a stick shift, from a 3-speed 1929 Ford to a 2008 5-speed Subaru. I doubt that that trend will continue, though, as anything I'm somewhat interested in doesn't offer a manual transmission.

Now back too your regularly scheduled topic. ;)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Do we haff'ta? (Re: Who needs the stinking Manual!?)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »
Dear Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat avoiders of at least computer manuals, . . . .

Now back too your regularly scheduled topic. ;)

[wink] . . . . Awe shucks, do we haff'ta? . . . .  [biggrin]

I'll have you know that I only drove a manual transmission truck a little bit and . . . . that was more than enough!  [banghead]

On the other hand, my trusty wagon has a nice new chrome tilt steering column that allows for the proper control of her overdrive transmission.  Since her original transmission only had 2 speeds - it would have been a problem to cram all those 4 speeds into that display!  ;D

However, I had one more reason to go with a column vs. a floor shifter.  If I open the driver's side window, I can move the transmission into neutral and push my wagon in and out of the garage as needed for quick maintenance.  Once Biquette is where I want her, I can move the transmission lever to park and she'll stop.

It is a trivial convenience, but try to move a modern car by hand - it t'ain't easy!  [headbang]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
Sirprize, sirprize! Right there on page 132 is the following:"the processing period can be set from between 0.1 to 1000 minutes"! I'm sure Stu could never have imagined someone like me running his software! [lol] [computer] "Surely, 1,000 minutes is plenty of time for any idiot running WC! Why would anyone want more time?! :o"

Nailed it :)

I'll stick in a feature request to up it  [tup]

[Edit: Done - #195]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
Not sure which part I "nailed". I'm hoping it wasn't my self-described "idiocy". [blush] [goofy]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system