Author Topic: Moved: Upgrade Plans  (Read 9002 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Moved: Upgrade Plans
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 12:12:58 AM »
Just got back from a ~2 week second Honey Moon to celebrate passing 50 years with the same woman! Can't believe she's been able to put up with me for so long!!

In other "news", I'm about ready to transfer my home-made site over to the mini, probably next week. Howsome ever, I have noticed that the very first time I visit the site, the WC gauges don't show up. There are images already uploaded, but they are showing a time almost exactly the same as the first access to the page. The local files show those same times and are usually plain white squares.

I made some changes to the "Additional Files" list today when I finally realized that only six of the 13 I had listed actually had WC tags in them. DUH! I know WC is probably not  wasting time uploading files that haven't changed, OTOH, perhaps I'll now save a few micro seconds. I also now have three files that use several WC tags updating every 2 minutes (the current data updates each minute), the gauges update every third minute, the movie & snapshot updates every 5 minutes, and the graphs every 7 minutes. Basically, this puts 2 minutes between the gauges, graphs, and movie updates, but those will also coincide with the index page which has a lot of WC tags.

This site is running on my iMac which occasionally is under some moderate work, so things should be a bit easier on the mini which is dedicated to WC (I may also stop using PathFinder on the mini due to some reports of memory leaks). I'll see how things go over the weekend. <Mid-South Weather (still running on dummy/static data)> Works fine down to iPhone portrait size screens, although the nav menu is still not the best. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2015, 04:10:08 AM »
Transition nearly complete. Had a major problem until I finally figured out that I had not changed the Prefs->Custom Web->Main->Enable FTP Upload->Edit FTP Details! [banghead] I'll blame that on either my stupidity or Stu... OK, it is not Stu! I had not changed the upload path from the old site/web space... :o Poor WC was running at 110+% trying to correct for my erer! [goofy]

Only after switching the site did I discover the custom graphs were missing. I had already re-constructed the 15 custom gauges so they were numerically the same as they displayed. I deleted three and edited the other 12. I discovered there was a "cloned gauge" I had created many months ago right after the eleventh gauge. That meant I kept getting 16 total instead of the 15 I actually used. I didn't discover that until trying to create gauge number "12" and it kept showing "13". [banghead]

Because of my slow typing and somewhat anal desire to match gauge/graph numbers to the display of them, I worked my way through dinner time. And now it's time to hit the sack! I won't miss the calories, picked up plenty of extra ones during our rail trip and fancy restaurant visits! [cheer]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad you'll still pluggin' away. (Re: Moved: Upgrade Plans)
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat webspinners, . . .

Glad you're still plugging away at getting version - 2.0 of your website ready to go live.  It is a lot of work and web technology has been moving further and further away from the realm of us amateurs.  We have to give it our best, but there are limits to what we can do on our own.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:28 AM »
I noticed today that the range I had set for Pressure was quite limited! For some reason I think I had lower limit at 28.5 in/Hg. I simply forgot that a "standard day" is 29.92! [blush] I also tweaked the colors of the pointers and text labels and the label font sizes.

Frankly, I find html/css much easier than following the seemingly infinite and scattered settings for many templates! Especially when WC has so much power built-in! [cheer] OTOH, I did use some pieces of one genius template maker for the forecast and weather warning PHP.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 07:43:57 AM »
Looking good X-air. I've started to design my own template after learning HTML5 and CSS3. It's slow-going, with a lot of trial and error, but it's very rewarding when another page is finished. Like you, I find templates far too 'busy' and confusing.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
To be honest, many of their files are simply to address the plethora of (mostly Windows) apps. Then there are the different API's for all the places that let us share our data. I'm sure there are parallels in other areas of producing code, but you'd know that better than me. Most devs don't try to support every platform in use, even now when the consumer arena is now only two and a half OS's. Even with that, the hardware is virtually identical. I suppose this is another reason the "cloud" is becoming more popular for business: the real coding is on the servers not hundreds of different types of hardware? [computer] [interesting]

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
The main reason that I am trying to write my own template is that most of the ones I've used previously are bloated by foreign languages, colour schemes and support for other stations / software. This makes coding very long and difficult to follow. At least if I write my own, I will have full control over what goes where.